nicolaboo
Member
- Joined
- 19 Jun 2018
- Messages
- 303
Keeping on the theme of Alloa Alloa, I wonder whether Rose Hill (Marple) is named after Edith's mother.Or Alloa High and the other one which would be a reminder of a 1980s sitcom.
Keeping on the theme of Alloa Alloa, I wonder whether Rose Hill (Marple) is named after Edith's mother.Or Alloa High and the other one which would be a reminder of a 1980s sitcom.
If we're "going foreign": the Szerencs -- Hidasnemeti branch line in Hungary -- running through pleasantly hilly country by Hungarian standards -- has intermediate stations called Mad; Gonc; and Golop. (I can't, here, do foreign accents on letters.)
Leeds Wellington Station nothing to do with Wellington boots but Duke of Wellington.
I can so Szerencs - Hidasnémeti with intermediate stations Mád, Gönc and Golop![]()
Formerly Degerloch Zahnradbahnhof - the line was extended to a new interchange with the U-bahn at Degerloch some years ago, but the old terminus wasn't closed.
I am aware that I may be splitting hairs slightly here, but with the exception of London Liverpool Street and London Fenchurch Street, none of the other mainline terminal stations that has the "London" prefix within Zone 1 of the London zonal system are in the City of London.
E.g. Victoria, Paddington, and Marylebone are in the City of Westminster. Euston, St Pancras, and Kings Cross are in the Borough of Camden (formerly Borough of St Pancras), etc.
The suburban station and tram terminus of Praha-Podbaba (in Prague, obviously) is amusing to Anglophones with a childish sense of humour. I'd rather it (or the tram part at least) be renamed Dukla as it's the closest stop for the Juliska Stadium, home of the eponymous football team. Slavia and Sparta have tram stops named after them so why not Dukla? Sparta (the stop) in particular was amusing, as on the more modern Skoda trams certain stops had English automated announcements, which bellowed "This is Sparta!" upon arrival!Erps-Kwerps in Belgium has to be the silliest name for a station, or indeed a place.
I believe the "rule" is that a prefix is used where the rest of the name refers to a county area or local council, and a suffix where it is a population centre. Hence Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland.For the purposes of parliamentary constituency naming, borough (or urban) seats get the compass point at the end (Glasgow East, Leicester South), while countr (or rural) seats have them at the front (North West Cambridgeshire).
Thanks for the correction. It was renamed Smethwick West in 1956 but I always asked for at ticket to West Smethwick when as a boy I spent an afternoon watching trains at Snow Hill. The area is however known as West Smethwick locally.Just to note, the station was not West Smethwick, it was Smethwick West, unless I'm mistaken