• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: most average railway station in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

321362

Member
Joined
31 Oct 2023
Messages
325
Location
London
Inspired by an old thread from 2014 or thereabouts.

Related to a conversation I had with a friend - what the most average station in the UK is.

I know that the median station in terms of passenger usage is Pontefract Monkhill (source: Nick Badley
)

Which stations have had their names mentioned the least on the forum? I imagine every station has been mentioned at least once. The least mentioned station might be a good estimate for the most average station.

Feel free to move this to another subforum if necessary
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,646
Location
Greater Manchester
Unfortunately the quizzes and games section kind of ruined this due to the constant use of most stations.

Walsden give me 43 pages of results when I search it.
Parton 28, Moorside 24.
Throwing some random stations in I've found Fearn with 19 pages
Wythall with 15
 

321362

Member
Joined
31 Oct 2023
Messages
325
Location
London
Banavie has 18

If it comes to people's mind for quizzes or games that at least shows they're thinking about it

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Longbeck has 11 pages only
 

Farigiraf

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2023
Messages
1,206
Location
Bridge on the River Cam
Cefn-y-bedd has just 9 pages of posts, mostly from the quizzes & games section.
It has an hourly service, which is generally the basic train service to most rural / small settlement stations.
5-10k annual entries/exits, so never going to be remarkable, but won't ever be on the least used stations list either.
Only particularly interesting thing about it is the name, which is how I remembered it.
 

Trainguy34

Established Member
Joined
29 Apr 2023
Messages
1,231
Location
Kent
By passenger usage rankings, the 5 median stations are:
Greenbank
Pontefract Monkhill
Effingham Junction (Median)
Redland
Frodsham

By finding the mean usage, the 6 median stations are:
Hassocks
Petersfield
St Michaels
-- MEAN --
Slade Green
Heathrow Terminal 4 (Rail Station Only)
Johnstone (Renfrewshire)
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,301
Location
East Midlands
Wilnecote comes to mind for some reason. I always feel nothing in particular, either positive or negative passing through or stopping there apart from a slight "not far to Birmingham now" twinge.
 

150249

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2021
Messages
1,242
Location
The better Devon city
Exeter St Thomas. Rather bland looking station with two Paignton - Exmouth shuttles each way per hour. Everything else passes few except from the odd Paddington service once or twice a day.

I guess it being on a bridge is mildly interesting!
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,723
Location
West Riding
Which one? Presumably the open Parton in Cumbria and not the closed Parton in Galloway.
Were they the closest two stations to share the same name?

I would also suggest that as well as being the most averagely used station, Pontefract Monkhill is also a contender for the most average in character.
 

cjw714

Member
Joined
4 Nov 2024
Messages
127
Location
South-East Asia
Exeter St Thomas. Rather bland looking station with two Paignton - Exmouth shuttles each way per hour. Everything else passes few except from the odd Paddington service once or twice a day.

I guess it being on a bridge is mildly interesting!
Exeter St Thomas probably deserves a half hourly service but only one train an hour stops in each direction outside peak hours. It's my old local station so it's hard for me to be objective but I think the station building is fine - it's just a shame that's it's not in use at the moment.

If I was going to pick an average station in Exeter it would be Newcourt - a bland name, a bland single platform on the edge of a bland new build housing estate with a view over rather bland fields and roughly median numbers of passengers compared to the other stations on the branch.
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,679
Location
Solihull
The vast majority of stations are pretty average, such as my local station Chester Road. I can't think out of the ordinary about it*, but it does it's job perfectly well!

* well the original shelter is on the Battlefield Line now, i guess that is a little bit interesting
 

Springs Branch

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2013
Messages
1,683
Location
Where my keyboard has no £ key
For me, it's Whyteleafe.

Even though I've never been there, for some inexplicable reason I've always thought this place sounded like the archetypical, average, work-a-day commuter station.
As it turns out, its usage is very close to the median in the published entries & exits dataset.


About 10 years ago I posted a comment about Whyteleafe, since despite being boringly average and unremarkable, the station seemed to come up frequently on these forums at the time . . .
Springs Branch said:
Deep in Third Rail Commuterland, there's an ordinary, unremarkable station whose name, for some reason, seems to come up regularly in RailForums quizzes. Here it is again ... Whyteleafe
My comment was answered by user @IanD - which might or might not explain why there was some subliminal association with Whyteleafe lurking at the back of my mind.
IanD said:
I remember the name because the Private organisation seemed to be based there. Their address cropped up a lot in the small ads in the Sunday papers and certain men's magazines of my youth :oops:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/letter-by-letter.104068/page-11#post-2264076
 
Last edited:

Rescars

Established Member
Joined
25 May 2021
Messages
2,574
Location
Surrey
For me, it's Whyteleafe.

Even though I've never been there, for some inexplicable reason I've always thought this place sounded like the archetypical, average, work-a-day commuter station.
As it turns out, its usage is very close to the median in the published entries & exits dataset.
For similar reasoning, how about Reedham on the Tattenham Corner branch? For those who enjoy a pun, its name helpfully instructs you what to do with the published entries & exits dataset!
 

Bodiam

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2025
Messages
111
Location
Kent, UK
Sunbury with its clasp? station building
Perhaps we ought to have a thread on surviving CLASP buildings. They were very much the face of the exciting new Southern Region of the 1960s. Crayford was replaced some years ago, for example.
 

Tester

Established Member
Joined
5 Jul 2020
Messages
1,725
Location
Watford
Perhaps we ought to have a thread on surviving CLASP buildings. They were very much the face of the exciting new Southern Region of the 1960s. Crayford was replaced some years ago, for example.
Good idea - is Liss still one?
 

THC

Member
Joined
21 Sep 2009
Messages
724
Location
Stuck on the GEML
Perhaps we ought to have a thread on surviving CLASP buildings. They were very much the face of the exciting new Southern Region of the 1960s. Crayford was replaced some years ago, for example.
They escaped the Southern clutches occasionally. IIRC there is still a CLASP station building at Alfreton in Derbyshire, for example.

THC
 

Bodiam

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2025
Messages
111
Location
Kent, UK
I see there is a list of CLASP station buildings on Wikipedia, although it's wrong in suggesting New Eltham ever had a CLASP building - I knew the station quite well at that time. The reference given is the Kentrail article about New Eltham, but I think this has been interpreted wrongly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top