• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Most annoying sound made by a train

Status
Not open for further replies.

JammyJames08

Member
Joined
7 Apr 2009
Messages
132
BREL Networker Converter Buzzing on the TOS coach, i'd hate to be living next to sidings all night with that going!
375/376 cab fans are also very loud as well.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2017
Messages
3,186
Location
Way on down South London town
I used to be amused by the sissing noises of the carriages on the anglian route hauled by 90's.

180's braking into Doncaster is the worst i've heard. With buildings all around you the sound cannot escape and echoes into the distance. Standing right by it should be illegal.

When I was a kid valenta HST's were so terrifying i'd cover my ears and run for cover before the tailing power car reached me.

They were won't they? Would always hate walking past the engine at Paddington. Once was standing by the power car waving off my cousin and aunt when I was very small when the engine suddenly roared into life. Que five year-old hysterics.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Mk 4s? Definitely a lot of similarities.

Nowhere near as good, in particular the ride which is one of the worst on the network. Other than Pacers, never, other than on a Mk4, have I genuinely felt the vehicle I was in may have derailed or have a very serious fault with a wheelset and started to consider going to pull the handle. Whereas the 158 has by far the best ride quality of any UK rolling stock, past (that I've used) or present - they just glide over even the worst old jointed rail. The only other thing that comes close is the Class 221 (specifically), but that's because it's really heavy, the 158 isn't.
 
Last edited:

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,889
Nowhere near as good, in particular the ride which is one of the worst on the network. Other than Pacers, never, other than on a Mk4, have I genuinely felt the vehicle I was in may have derailed or have a very serious fault with a wheelset and started to consider going to pull the handle. Whereas the 158 has by far the best ride quality of any UK rolling stock, past (that I've used) or present - they just glide over even the worst old jointed rail. The only other thing that comes close is the Class 221 (specifically), but that's because it's really heavy, the 158 isn't.
The 158's ride is in large part down to using a 125mph spec bogie under a 90mph train. It's a shame BREL would warranty the T4 for 140mph as we'd have had it under the Mark 4s then.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

but both of them built 465s around that time. I was under impression the shells were very similar, I'm sure I read that somewhere.
The Mark 4 shell owes more to the Class 156 than anything else in terms of parentage.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,661
Location
Hampshire
Nowhere near as good, in particular the ride which is one of the worst on the network. Other than Pacers, never, other than on a Mk4, have I genuinely felt the vehicle I was in may have derailed or have a very serious fault with a wheelset and started to consider going to pull the handle. Whereas the 158 has by far the best ride quality of any UK rolling stock, past (that I've used) or present - they just glide over even the worst old jointed rail. The only other thing that comes close is the Class 221 (specifically), but that's because it's really heavy, the 158 isn't.

I know we’re diverting the thread a little here but this is where I slightly disagree - the 159s used to ride appallingly over the old jointed track section between Grateley (more so over the bogie). The only thing I’ve found that rode smoothly over that were the GW HST’s on diversion, closely followed by a MK1 or Mk2 on B5 bogies.

Back on topic, Another noise I find irritating is the rattling, knocking and occasional banging noise on stock fitted with Bombardiers / British Rail’s Flexx Eco / B5000 bogie. The 220s do it, the 172s do it. I have a feeling the 345s do it as well.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,452
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
Some Electrostars also seem to make a rather unpleasant high-pitched frequency when idle. Not exactly sure what makes it but it's not a nice noise.

That will almost certainly be the auxiliary converter. Will be a feature on all modern EMUs, though not consistent throughout the entire train as they’re located in specific locations.
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
That will almost certainly be the auxiliary converter. Will be a feature on all modern EMUs, though not consistent throughout the entire train as they’re located in specific locations.
I find it best to avoid the area behind the cab (as well as near the transformer, for both the buzzing sound and the VCB bang).
 

ed1971

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2009
Messages
589
Location
Wigan
The annoying whining sound of the original pacer with self changing gears just before the change to the next gear. Cannot remember if it was both carriages or the rear one in reverse as it sounded like a spur gear.

There is a youtube of one at Huyton where the rear 142 was not converted to voith still with the TL11
Here it is:

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I found the original Pacer sound to be music to the ears. The gears sounded similar to Daimler Fleetline and Bristol VRT & RE buses. Others have also put comments on YT saying that they miss the original spec Pacer.
I remember that the whine wasn't there in the leading carriage of Class 141s but it was on 142s. I don't know why they differed. I found that the Voith conversions initially retaining TL11 engines, were very noisy and annoying. See here at 1:45:
 
Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,661
Location
Hampshire
Here it is:

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==



I found the original Pacer sound to be music to the ears. The gears sounded similar to Daimler Fleetline and Bristol VRT & RE buses. Others have also put comments on YT saying that they miss the original spec Pacer.
I remember that the whine wasn't there in the leading carriage of Class 141s but it was on 142s. I don't know why they differed. I found that the Voith conversions initially retaining TL11 engines, were very noisy and annoying. See here at 1:45:

Thanks for that, I hadn't actually realised that the pacers had a "Hybrid" period of TL11 + Voith.

In that first video, is that a TL11 / Voith "Hybrid" on the first 142 - there seems to be some typical knocking leyland noise, but it sounds more Cummins on departure.
 

py_megapixel

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2018
Messages
7,520
Location
Northern England
The hustle alarm sounding when you're still halfway down the stairs to the platform.
Even more annoying when you run down at full pelt only to discover that your train isn't leaving for another minute and you were actually hearing the one on the other side of the island.
 

DustyBin

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2020
Messages
3,927
Location
First Class
Even more annoying when you run down at full pelt only to discover that your train isn't leaving for another minute and you were actually hearing the one on the other side of the island.

On a similar note, the sound of the driver announcing the stations the train will call at, at which point you realise you’re on the wrong train!
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,900
On a similar note, the sound of the driver announcing the stations the train will call at, at which point you realise you’re on the wrong train!
Always helpful to wait until the train has set off before letting folk know that they are on the wrong train!
 

Mordac

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2016
Messages
2,386
Location
Birmingham
Always helpful to wait until the train has set off before letting folk know that they are on the wrong train!
Or that your train will be skipping your stop to make up time! Take note Cross City line guards.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
On a positive note I got to visit Ashburys, which I’m certain I wouldn’t have done otherwise!

That sounds about as good as visiting Sandhills.

Could be worse, could be Ardwick. I'm convinced the ever-rustier footbridge would fall down if I (being quite heavy) attempted to cross.
 

mjmason1996

Member
Joined
12 Aug 2019
Messages
55
Here it is:

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==



I found the original Pacer sound to be music to the ears. The gears sounded similar to Daimler Fleetline and Bristol VRT & RE buses. Others have also put comments on YT saying that they miss the original spec Pacer.
I remember that the whine wasn't there in the leading carriage of Class 141s but it was on 142s. I don't know why they differed. I found that the Voith conversions initially retaining TL11 engines, were very noisy and annoying. See here at 1:45:
What's going on with the lights on the pacer in the second video? Didn't know they had a disco setting :D
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
What's going on with the lights on the pacer in the second video? Didn't know they had a disco setting :D

I suspect the guard was mucking with the switch knowing he was being filmed - would probably be "tea with no biscuits" for doing that now, but the 90s were a different world.

The original Pacer sounds like a heritage DMU, and I agree that's a much nicer, more powerful sound than the "wheezy hairdryer" sound of the hydraulic version.
 

318259

Member
Joined
11 Jun 2011
Messages
176
The door beepers on Scotrail EMUS, some are very piercing.
Yeah, they replaced the door beepers on the 320s when they got toilets fitted. The horrible new beepers have gradually appeared on the 318s and 334s as well. It's the horrible long continuous "beeeeeeeeeep" when the doors open that makes me hate them.

If you want to hear a good 'door closing sound', check out the Berlin S-Bahn.
 

ed1971

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2009
Messages
589
Location
Wigan
I find the ‘UFO’ noise made by Desiro family EMU’s quite irritating for some reason, I’m honestly not sure why!



You can’t be serious! o_O

Thanks for that, I hadn't actually realised that the pacers had a "Hybrid" period of TL11 + Voith.

In that first video, is that a TL11 / Voith "Hybrid" on the first 142 - there seems to be some typical knocking leyland noise, but it sounds more Cummins on departure.
Hi, Yes the leading 142 in the video is a Voith conversion and the rear unit is still SCG.
The TL11 never seemed to match the Voith gearbox and was sluggish and slow. Because of this, college mates and myself used to call them 'Voith-bugged'!
The GMPTE orange livered units, 142001-14 were all unmodified for some time until November 1990 and prior to then it was a relief when one of these turned up.
Pacers started to get Cummins engines in the spring of 1993 and (with the exception of the Class 141s) was completed in April 1996.
 

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,713
Location
Hope Valley
One that I don't think has been mentioned so far; the noises in the leading saloon of a Class 170. It always seemed like the warning horn and the AWS sounder(s) were mounted under the table rather than under/in the cab. When added to the dodgy yaw dampers always makes for an uncomfortable and non-relaxing journey. Especially if you have paid a premium for First Class and it happens to be at the front end.
 

mjmason1996

Member
Joined
12 Aug 2019
Messages
55
I remember finding the sound/vibrations of the compressor on 319's quite irritating - especially since there's nothing else mechanical making noise in that coach.
 

Impey0711

On Moderation
Joined
16 Sep 2013
Messages
281
The vestibule doors on the MK 3's when they are over sensitive and they just keep opening a closing
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,813
Location
UK
One that I don't think has been mentioned so far; the noises in the leading saloon of a Class 170. It always seemed like the warning horn and the AWS sounder(s) were mounted under the table rather than under/in the cab. When added to the dodgy yaw dampers always makes for an uncomfortable and non-relaxing journey. Especially if you have paid a premium for First Class and it happens to be at the front end.
At higher speeds the wind whistles quite loudly around the cab - very audible in the area immediately adjacent - in a manner you wouldn't expect given the (slightly) aerodynamic front end the 170s have.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top