• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Longest Reversal: Distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,880
Didn't the "Cleveland Executive" reverse at Middlesbrough before heading up the Durham Coast to Newcastle?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

noddingdonkey

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2012
Messages
924
I may have missed something in the criteria here, but Bradford Forster Square to London KX reverses at Leeds
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,969
Location
Airedale
Double calling at Hampden Park is much rarer now, so reduces opportunities
This wasn't double calling, though.
How many passengers regularly changed trains this way at the station into the reversal section?
No idea, sorry.

OT - I spotted a current example where there was only a minute between arriving from Ashford and departing for London. Sounds right up your street :)
 

Class800

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2020
Messages
2,112
Location
West Country
This wasn't double calling, though.

No idea, sorry.

OT - I spotted a current example where there was only a minute between arriving from Ashford and departing for London. Sounds right up your street :)
But it was double calling in the past that opened up more opportunities to jump a train ahead at Hampden Park
 

snowball

Established Member
Joined
4 Mar 2013
Messages
8,144
Location
Leeds
I may have missed something in the criteria here, but Bradford Forster Square to London KX reverses at Leeds
In any reversal there is a certain length of track that the train traverses first in one direction, then the other. I think the OP is asking what is the longest that can be. For Bradford-Leeds-KX it's only half a mile, so much shorter than some other examples.
 

noddingdonkey

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2012
Messages
924
I think the OP is asking what is the longest that can be. For Bradford-Leeds-KX it's only half a mile, so much shorter than some other examples.

I was thinking more of the 185 miles from Leeds to KX being the distance reversed over on a service originating at Bradford, but I thought that couldn't be what the OP was looking for
 

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2017
Messages
3,504
Location
Leicestershire
This one fairly local to me started relatively recently. Again, it won't win the prize, but is interesting to see another example

 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top