Blindtraveler
Established Member
- Joined
- 28 Feb 2011
- Messages
- 10,544
and the majoritty of stuff here is mainly bus opperated
11A/11C easily.
X53 Poole-Exeter? Don't know the distance, but it's 4 hrs + end to end.
Midland Red used to operate a number of long distance bus services - like Northampton Shrewsbury and Leicester Hereford. Can't remember how long they took but I suspect they would be contenders if still running
I would at one time have defined bus as walk on and coach as prebooking - but that is muddied these days
Yes, upon posting it in thread, I would've thought it was longest route (according to wiki). But then people started posting bus routes that links the city.
11A/11C is longest route within a city, it doesn't connect to other cities or anything.
Midland Red used to operate a number of long distance bus services - like Northampton Shrewsbury and Leicester Hereford. Can't remember how long they took but I suspect they would be contenders if still running
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I would at one time have defined bus as walk on and coach as prebooking - but that is muddied these days
I'd just say that a vehicle that has an overhead storage rack, has a toilet or under floor/fully segregated luggage space (ie. a compartment for luggage that cannot be accessed easily from the main cabin) is a coach and shouldnt be counted.
But the megabus might screw that one up (I've never been on one though)
I'd say it was very simple, a coach has a high floor and coach seats.
I'd just say that a vehicle that has an overhead storage rack, has a toilet or under floor/fully segregated luggage space (ie. a compartment for luggage that cannot be accessed easily from the main cabin) is a coach and shouldnt be counted.
But the megabus might screw that one up (I've never been on one though)
Hmm. Bus? Coach?
![]()
![]()
Taken from the interweb.
Both buses. That style of ECW bodywork (bus-style doors, sliding windows) is a bus. Similarly the Leopard. An RELH (below) is a coach.
An RELH (below) is a coach.
Arriva's Green Line 724 from Harlow - Heathrow?
Given the current vehicles are Merc Citaros - so basically buses.
I suppose I could throw another spanner into the works and ask is it the longest duration, or longest distance we are after!
Anyway, for distance a couple of contenders up here are the Yorkshire Coastliner 842 and 843 from Leeds to Scarborough or Whitby, these are DP bus worked and must be over 80 miles long.
How about Arriva Northumbria's 501 from Newcastle upon Tyne to Berwick upon Tweed? About 90 miles end-to-end, taking 3 hours 15 mins.
X60/X61 Preston to Manchester, although the last two are different service numbers, they are the same vehicle.
How about Arriva Northumbria's 501 from Newcastle upon Tyne to Berwick upon Tweed? About 90 miles end-to-end, taking 3 hours 15 mins.
You could... but the train's no good if you want to reach Craster, Embleton, High Newton, Seahouses, Bamburgh, Belford, Holy Island, etc.Or you could take the train.
Or you could take the train.
Maybe we should ask the alternative question of what is the longest journey time for a bus journey where there isn't a faster alternative.
It's like the Burnley & Pendle Witchway route (Manchester-Nelson) where they've fitted buses to have a higher seating standard than normal due to the long route.
Google gives Manchester Chorlton Street to Nelson via Rawtenstall and Burnley as 56 miles, so the bus route is approx that distance probably a bit more given some bus stops are the same stop on the same side of the road in both directions.