• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Least Favourite Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
9 Apr 2016
Messages
1,909
Personally my very least favourite is the 220s / 221s / 390s. I also dislike locmotive hauled and HST stock and all stock that has narrow doors at the ends of the carriages (i much prefer stock with wide double doors at 1/3 and 2/3 positions as it feels much more spacious).
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mordac

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2016
Messages
2,386
Location
Birmingham
(i much prefer stock with wide double doors at 1/3 and 2/3 positions as it feels much more spacious).

I completely agree with this, but most enthusiasts seem to hate them as they're not "proper intercity trains." :roll:

I'd much rather have my train be not proper if that means it doesn't spend a week at each station because people struggle to get on (Voyagers I'm looking at you).
 

prod_pep

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
1,711
Location
Liverpool
Class 150s for me, especially Northern's 150/2s. The interiors are poor with minimal legroom and generally quite depressing. The faults of the 142s are obvious but for some reason I slightly prefer them to 150s, probably the sheer novelty value and knowing they won't be around for too much longer.

Other unfavoured stock for me includes 220s, 221s, 317s (especially the ex Stansted Express ones), 318s, 319/3s for the painfully low seats and to an extent the 185s which have poor interior decor and have never been well suited to the routes they work.
 

physics34

Established Member
Joined
1 Dec 2013
Messages
4,094
Pacers. Surely this should be everyones worse type of stock!

Not a big fan of the 313/PEP family either im afraid.
 

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,837
Location
Clydebank
There is no stock currently operating in my neck of the woods that I feverishly avoid, but if I had to choose at least one, the 320/3s would be my choice. Beginning to look quite tired interior-wise now, especially when compared to the rest of the SR EMU fleet (314s included). They are comfortable enough, the interior just feels like it's a tad on the dated side. After the 318s & 320/4s are finished, I feel like these should next in line for an interior overhaul.
 
Joined
9 Apr 2016
Messages
1,909
Pacers. Surely this should be everyones worse type of stock!

Not a big fan of the 313/PEP family either im afraid.

Pacers really arent that bad (in my opinion). I have never minded travelling on them. There are far worse trains in the UK.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,367
Location
Yorkshire
Pacers really arent that bad (in my opinion). I have never minded travelling on them. There are far worse trains in the UK.

Pacers are better than no train at all, but try as I might I can't think of any train (past or present) in GB that causes quite the same sinking feeling as it pulls in, that a Merseytravel 142 does. Even 141s were better.
 
Joined
9 Apr 2016
Messages
1,909
Pacers are better than no train at all, but try as I might I can't think of any train (past or present) in GB that causes quite the same sinking feeling as it pulls in, that a Merseytravel 142 does. Even 141s were better.

Personally i would much rather travel on a 142/143/144 anytime than 220/221/390 though. The Pacers arent the best trains but i certainly wouldnt say they are the worst trains either. They are not that bad in my opinion. I think they would be more popular if they all got refurbished with proper seating and tables.

A silly idea but maybe Northern Rail should buy the 12 141s back off Iranian Railways and bring them back to the UK. Would provide some extra capacity.
 

class387

Established Member
Joined
9 Oct 2015
Messages
1,580
Personally i would much rather travel on a 142/143/144 anytime than 220/221/390 though. The Pacers arent the best trains but i certainly wouldnt say they are the worst trains either. They are not that bad in my opinion. I think they would be more popular if they all got refurbished with proper seating and tables.

A silly idea but maybe Northern Rail should buy the 12 141s back off Iranian Railways and bring them back to the UK. Would provide some extra capacity.

I would rather walk/drive than travel on a 220/221/390!
 

Blamethrower

Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
384
Location
Bedfordshire
Pacers (of course)

Anything made by BREL - simply too old, smelly, cramped, uncomfortable.

HST's (bear with me, it's EMT) - great looking and imposing trains but so old and smelly it's ridiculous. Slow to accelerate, slow to brake, horrible open coaches, fixed arm rests, low uncomfortable seats, poor seat reservation, doors opening around corners, poor air con.

Basically all old trains.

Of the newer ones, I am yet to go on a 700, by all accounts I will hate them, yet I like 387s.

I hate the Heathrow Express because that shows you exactly how comfortable a train can be. I never realised foam was so expensive
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,367
Location
Yorkshire
I'd like to make another entry of the 22 144s that haven't been "evolved". For the reason that should be obvious based on this photo I took. Bear in mind that at 5'8" I'm not particularly tall. Dont know how lanky folk manage!
 

Attachments

  • 20160810_123424.jpg
    20160810_123424.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 27

MK Tom

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2011
Messages
2,458
Location
Milton Keynes
Hate the low seats and terrible window alignment on original interior 150s.

350/2s are also a bugbear of mine, unless they're empty enough to have a set of six seats to yourself.
 

RobShipway

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2009
Messages
3,337
I would say that the least favourite stock among people in this forum are class 442's.
 
Joined
9 Apr 2016
Messages
1,909
Pacers (of course)

Anything made by BREL - simply too old, smelly, cramped, uncomfortable.

HST's (bear with me, it's EMT) - great looking and imposing trains but so old and smelly it's ridiculous. Slow to accelerate, slow to brake, horrible open coaches, fixed arm rests, low uncomfortable seats, poor seat reservation, doors opening around corners, poor air con.

Basically all old trains.

Of the newer ones, I am yet to go on a 700, by all accounts I will hate them, yet I like 387s.

I hate the Heathrow Express because that shows you exactly how comfortable a train can be. I never realised foam was so expensive

Personally i dont really like the Heathrow Express 332s that much. I much prefer travelling on the Heathrow Connect 360s instead.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top