• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Last thing you ate on a train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requeststop

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2012
Messages
1,001
Location
Carbis Bay, St Ives, Cornwall
I used to make an evening journey from Inverness to Edinburgh on a Fri regularly changing at Perth. At around Dunkeld I would order a chinese for delivery to PTH and consume it on the nearly empty 158 working the 20:02. Sometimes pax would complane, mostly though they wouldnt say anything, unless Id gone for summit stinky!

As mentioned in another posting. Plastic scrambled egg and something related to smoked salmon on the Night sleeper to inverness, but........since then a delicious Scone and Cream tea on the service of XC Manchester to Bristol TM eaten the correct way with the CREAM ON TOP ( you Devonians always get it wrong - Cream rises to the top and therefore is King) with Rodda's clotted cream. YUMMY!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
As mentioned in another posting. Plastic scrambled egg and something related to smoked salmon on the Night sleeper to inverness, but........since then a delicious Scone and Cream tea on the service of XC Manchester to Bristol TM eaten the correct way with the CREAM ON TOP ( you Devonians always get it wrong - Cream rises to the top and therefore is King) with Rodda's clotted cream. YUMMY!

Was this available to purchase/order on the XC Voyager, or bought at the station before boarding?
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
...since then a delicious Scone and Cream tea on the service of XC Manchester to Bristol TM eaten the correct way with the CREAM ON TOP ( you Devonians always get it wrong - Cream rises to the top and therefore is King) with Rodda's clotted cream. YUMMY!
Indeed. The clotted cream goes on top.

Which jam - raspberry or strawberry?
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
I had a Chicken Big King and chips on a Northern Rail Class 158 last Saturday
 

gazthomas

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2011
Messages
3,466
Location
Llandudno
Fish and chips bought at Pembroke Dock and taken back onto a HST. Oh and a number of tinned beverages
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Home Made ham sarnies (thank to my Wife) and Twix in the declassified FC area of an X SWT 158 on the Borders Railway last Monday.

Fellow forum member Tecniquest had the same (further browny points to the Wife)

felt a bit guilty leaving her but she enjoyed Wine and Chicken Curry with rice and chips in my absense. I had a Class 68 at teatime!
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
I often have some breakfast on the train but it's my own as my morning trains don't have catering.

The last time I bought something on a train would be on some Intercity service. I'd be more tempted if my trains offered cooked breakfasts but they don't.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Fish & Chips on the 1815 from Mallaig to Fort William yesterday evening :D
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
A Yum Yum and a milkshake on a 168 from Snow Hell to Leam about 3 hours ago.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
18/09/2015

Cheeseburger from the shop on 221105 (partnered with 221117), working the 0910 London Euston to Holyhead

19/09/2015

Tayto Cheese and Onion crisps aboard the 0900 Dublin Heuston to Cork (not yet checked the loco ID)
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
18/09/2015

Cheeseburger from the shop on 221105 (partnered with 221117), working the 0910 London Euston to Holyhead

My 10 years old daughters opinion of Virgin Trains cheeseburgers is that they are far superior to Mc D's,

Do you agree?
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
No, not even remotely. No flavour, no sauces, cheap tasteless cheese that covers only a portion of the burger and doesn't melt properly. If I'd paid a quid or something like that for it, I'd not be complaining.

Bacon roll all the way next time!

19/09/15

Double chocolate, well, chocolate from Butlers Chocolate Cafe, Dublin Heuston aboard the 0900 Dublin Heuston to Cork.

I suspect I'll have something on the return journey too later ;)
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
My 10 years old daughters opinion of Virgin Trains cheeseburgers is that they are far superior to Mc D's,

Do you agree?

I most certainly do! Whilst I note the Lord Teq finds them poor in comparrison Im not a fan of Mcdonalds and so have a much more open mind about alternatives! If I didnt know any better Id say the VT ones had been cooked fresh.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
I'd much rather McDonalds burgers over the Virgin offer! That said I'd rather Burger King over McDonalds!

19/09/15

3 Seal Bars (Aldi's version of Penguins) on the 0900 Dublin Heuston to Cork
 

Whistler40145

Established Member
Joined
30 Apr 2010
Messages
6,149
Location
Lancashire
Yeah, there's a better taste with Burger King, maybe it's because they're flame grilled versus the plain McDonalds burgers, plus I'm not sure if it's me, the buns taste sweet at McDonalds, very off putting.
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
I most certainly do! Whilst I note the Lord Teq finds them poor in comparrison Im not a fan of Mcdonalds and so have a much more open mind about alternatives! If I didnt know any better Id say the VT ones had been cooked fresh.

Well my daughter will be pleased that you agree with her Blindtraveler, just to add, the one she had on the Pendolino did come with a sachet of sauce unlike Techniquest's.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
You have to ask for it but creddit where its due the sashays are free. Now how about some thin cut fries to go with it VT? Not Mcane but maybe those Fries to Go or similar?
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
Oh I had ketchup in mine via a sachet of it, but the sauces they include in the McDonalds ones just make it better somehow.

Not currently eating on the return to Dublin, we left only 40 minutes after lunch so I'm not yet hungry. If we hadn't left Cork 2 hours early (full story in the trip report tonight!) it would have been different!
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
A brilliant burger on 321413 before departure on the 15:07 to St Albans Abbey (sourced from the nearby Junction Cafe). Following that, I had a costa triple chocolate muffin on 350110 (350119 was on the back) which was working the 16:37 from Milton Keynes to Crewe.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Just an out and back on 413 to get the last LM one in. I went all the way from Rugby to Watford to get it!
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,986
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Rather pleased with my recent travel food rations... on Sunday I bought a pack of cooked bacon bits in Asda, reduced to £1.12, and later the same day a small Warburtons toastie loaf in Tesco reduced to 08p. With butter than I already had, this has so far kept me in sandwiches for three days, and there's enough for tomorrow too! (I never take much notice of use-by dates, if it looks and smells okay.)
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Couple of contributions from my massive West Highlands Bash yesturday, full trip report on my own thread.

A BLT sandwitch, well ok two of them and a kitkat plus Water and a Catering Trolley Coffee on the 08:21 Glasgow>Oban Yesturday, followed later by a Fish Supper, Smoked Saussage and can of Fizzy Orrange on the 18:15 Mallaig>Fort William and finally a Hot Chocolate and Shortbread on the 19:50 Fortbill>Euston via Edinburgh Last Night.
 
Last edited:

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
A boots chicken and bacon sarnie, carrot cake, a drink and a packet of crisps waiting for 68014 to leave Marylebone earlier on the 13:15 to Brum.
 

Requeststop

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2012
Messages
1,001
Location
Carbis Bay, St Ives, Cornwall
Was this available to purchase/order on the XC Voyager, or bought at the station before boarding?
Sorry for the long delay in replying. This was bought on board.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Indeed. The clotted cream goes on top.

Which jam - raspberry or strawberry?

Strawberry of course. The best Raspberries come from Scotland, (Dundee I believe) Admittedly, South Western raspberries are not as good but our Strawberries are second to none.
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
Sorry for the long delay in replying. This was bought on board.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Strawberry of course. The best Raspberries come from Scotland, (Dundee I believe) Admittedly, South Western raspberries are not as good but our Strawberries are second to none.

Correction: Raspberry :p

I'd gladly have strawberries in scones, but raspberry jam is king (well, heir after clotted cream :P).
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top