Which National Bus Company (NBC) companies did National Express work during the NBC years, and what depots were used ?
It's an almost impossible question. At which point in the NBC years are you talking about?Which National Bus Company (NBC) companies did National Express work during the NBC years, and what depots were used ?
Which National Bus Company (NBC) companies did National Express work during the NBC years, and what depots were used ?
As I said above, you also had a period of consolidation as firms like Hebble, SUT, Tillings, Timpsons, Samuelsons, Greenslades, Black & White, Standerwick etc were integrated into National Travel regional units, and then the splitting back out to create firms like Pilgrim (or Midland Red x 5).The thread title suggests that you're just looking for a list of historic National Express operators. I'd just leave it at that, rather than insisting on a list of NBC subsidiaries.
Consider that companies NBC were gradually sold off and that there was a period when some were still public ownership and some private, so "NBC years" is a bit woolly! There's also the issue that the National Express brand has been in use for much longer in privatisation than it was under the NBC.
Well, quite.As I said above, you also had a period of consolidation as firms like Hebble, SUT, Tillings, Timpsons, Samuelsons, Greenslades, Black & White, Standerwick etc were integrated into National Travel regional units, and then the splitting back out to create firms like Pilgrim (or Midland Red x 5).
Not only that, what constitutes an operator? Do they do service car work? Or do they just do extras/dupes?
As for working out which depots...It's a huge, huge number.
They had a couple of Leyland Tigers A100/101JJT from new but they were soon transferred to Shamrock and Rambler.I do not recall Provincial doing Nat Ex work only when the rail strike was on iirc a National 2 was used on dupes.
They had a single coach that was owned by them (in order to have an O license) but was operated by Rapsons.The return journey was on a coach that I think was actually owned by National Express - it was one of the original NXI900x-registered batch of Expressliners.
I guess that would be service car (regular) workings but that somewhere like Malton (that had a few RELHs and Leopards) might do the odd dupe?I can only speak from my local knowledge, West Yorkshire, who I worked for in the 70s and 80s ran National Express routes from all main depots, Harrogate, Leeds, Bradford, Keighley and York but not from any of the sub depots.
Yes it would only be service car workings, I can't comment on dupes.I guess that would be service car (regular) workings but that somewhere like Malton (that had a few RELHs and Leopards) might do the odd dupe?
In the late 1970s and through into the 1980s, United Auto would allocate an RELH (and later a Leopard) to Ripon depot in case of a NatEx breakdown on the A1 between Wetherby and Catterick. It did mean that you had perhaps the best vehicle in the depot pootling around doing local stuff in the main...just in case.
Yeah, United was the same with regular NX workings concentrated into a few main depots by c.1980. I remember Darlington having three white REMHs which were then moved into these consolidated allocations elsewhere.Yes it would only be service car workings, I can't comment on dupes.

By the mid 1990s, you had a lot of ex NBC firms who decided the returns weren't worth the investment. Many just wanted shot of them.East Yorkshire kept one National Express coach at Bridlington in NBC days. The rest worked out of Anlaby Road garage in Hull.
However all garages had at least one dual-purpose vehicle which could be pressed into service as a NatEx duplicate if required
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
As others have said the answer becomes more interesting after privatisation. My 1991 "National Express Handbook" lists many operators who no longer run on NatEx services or who have ceased trading altogether.
Just a few examples are AJC Coaches (Leeds), Charterplan (GM Buses' coach operation), Bleanch's (Hetton-le-Hole) and White Hart (Barnstaple), the latter listed as operating route 734 from Westward Ho! to Wrexham, and there are many, many more.