• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Furthest distance by bus in 24 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tayway

Member
Joined
17 May 2021
Messages
212
Location
Scotland
Inspired by a YouTube video on the "Travelling Turtle" channel in which the supposedly longest bus journey in 24 hours from Central London is documented, I wondered how long the the equivalent journey would be if the start and finish points could be anywhere in Britain.

So with that in mind, what is the further distance from a starting point one could travel solely on local bus services (not Megabus/National Express etc) in a 24-hour period? As per the video, the distance is to be measured as the crow flies between the origin and destination. Suggestions should list the arrival and departure times at each connection point to ensure that the journey is indeed feasible within the time limit (bustimes.org really comes into its own here!)

I'll start off with my suggestion of Fraserburgh to Barrow-in-Furness, which is 252 miles point-to-point.

X67 Fraserburgh (dep 0510) to Aberdeen (arr 0640)
X7 Aberdeen (dep 0700) to Dundee (arr 0935)
X54 Dundee (dep 0945) to Glenrothes (arr 1034)
X24 Glenrothes (dep 1040) to Glasgow (arr 1248)
X74 Glasgow (dep 1325) to Dumfries (arr 1525)
79 Dumfries (dep 1610) to Carlisle (arr 1753)
104 Carlisle (dep 1755) to Penrith (arr 1851)
508 Penrith (dep 1920) to Kendal (arr 2127)
X6 Kendal (dep 2140) to Barrow (arr 2306)

Interestingly this is operated entirely by Stagecoach. The connection at Carlisle is very tight, but theoretically possible seeing as the stands at Carlisle Bus Station are adjacent. I'll allow similar examples so long as arrivals and departures aren't simultaneous.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Statto

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2011
Messages
4,107
Location
At home or at the pub
I remember reading recently someone went from London to Morecambe in a day, he had to set off at 3am, here's the article


When Jo Kibble, a 39-year-old council employee from Greenwich, set out to travel as far as he could from London in one day only using public bus routes it was supposed to be a personal project. But he ended up sparking a Twitter storm, causing a debate about how to build a fairer country along the way.
"I like travelling by public transport and by bus; I think it's a great way to see the country," Mr Kibble explains.
"I also really like timetables and I like the logistics of putting things together."
After "the last 18 months of having exciting travel plans cancelled", he decided to work out how far he could get from the centre of London in 24 hours on public bus networks.
"It was just a paper exercise to keep me occupied," says Mr Kibble, who is head of the Leader's Office at Ealing Council. "I had some fun doing that on commutes to and from work."
Mr Kibble figured the furthest he could get in one day would be Morecambe in Lancashire - some 260 miles from Charing Cross, the geographical centre of London.
IMAGE SOURCE,JO KIBBLE
Image caption,
Mr Kibble said he worked out his route on paper "for fun"
"One day I decided to see if it worked in person and not just on paper," Mr Kibble said.
The bus journey would take him through some of the "fly-over counties" he'd never experienced.
"Northampton, Leicester, Aylesbury - the unknown quantities between the big metropolis. Places we'd normally travel through on a train at 130mph."
At 03.00 BST on Friday he boarded his first bus, the N9 to Heathrow - "London's fourth-longest route".
From there he travelled through Slough before pivoting north through the Chiltern Hills.
It helps that London has night buses, & there are now early 102 buses from Heathrow to High Wycombe, without having to go through Slough.

Mod note: Please ensure that any references to external sources are accompanied by a quote from that source. Thanks :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Tayway

Member
Joined
17 May 2021
Messages
212
Location
Scotland
I remember reading recently someone went from London to Morecambe in a day, he had to set off at 3am, here's the article



It helps that London has night buses, & there are now early 102 buses from Heathrow to High Wycombe, without having to go through Slough.

Mod note: Please ensure that any references to external sources are accompanied by a quote from that source. Thanks :)
Indeed, that was exactly the guy I was referring to in my original post!
 

Simon75

On Moderation
Joined
25 May 2016
Messages
1,531
I've done Stoke-on-Trent -Stafford-Cannock-Walsall-Wolverhampton-Telford-Stafford-,Stoke-on-Trent in one day
 

Mwanesh

Member
Joined
14 May 2016
Messages
948
I once did Watford to Sheffield in one day. Watford to Luton 321. Luton to Milton Keynes 99. Milton Keynes to Northampton X4. Northampton to Leicester X7. Skylink to East Midlands Airport. Skylink to Nottingham. Pronto to Chesterfield. Chesterfield to Sheffield X17. It was a fun day. My next one will be Heathrow to Cambridge by bus still planning it.
 

Sir Felix Pole

Established Member
Joined
21 Oct 2012
Messages
2,213
Location
Wilmslow
'Travelling Turtle' has also done London to Paris in 24h (which he makes with 5 mins to spare) by bus and the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry. Due to a late running bus stuck in traffic he had to 'cheat' and take the train from Gatwick to Three Bridges to avoid the whole plan falling apart. Counterintuitively, I was surprised how difficult London to Brighton was (Brighton to Newhaven was simple), yet Dieppe to Paris was pretty straightforward.

London to Paris
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top