• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia. Examples of services between "related" stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,036
Coming soon via the Mid Norfolk: County School - University
Long ago: Christ's Hospital - Brookwood Necropolis (one-way tickets only obviously)
Ware - Wye via Hoo
Woodhouse - Stonehouse
Bugle - Hornsey or Saxilby
Combe - Valley
Sunbury - Rainham
Alresford - New Alresford (it's further than you'd think)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

[.n]

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2016
Messages
761
Poole to Weely [POO to WEE]
Moreton to Moreton via Moreton in Marsh [MTN to MRT via MIM]
Muir of Ord to Cowley [MOO to COW]
 

AndyHA

Member
Joined
1 May 2009
Messages
83
Location
Bishop's Stortford , Hertfordshire
In my early Railway days , when our free passes were Card Tickets with the Station written there-on . Working in Plymouth . I had one made out Bere Alston to Alston ( before the branch closed ) .

Others were from Dockyard Halt to “obscure” places betwix Inverness and Thurso .
 

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2011
Messages
1,825
I have actually made a genuine VFR journey from Chester to Chester Road and back
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,985
Location
Airedale
Are we allowed mainland Europe?
Hel to Hell
Hell to Himmelreich or Paradiso...
 

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,534
Apperley Bridge to Appley Bridge
Newport to Newport
Swindon to Swinton
Welshpool to Pontypool
Bridgend to Pen-y-Bont
Aberystwyth to Aberdeen
Church Stretton to Church Fenton
 

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Joined
21 Jun 2013
Messages
2,277
- Sowerby Bridge to Hebden Bridge
- Stocksbridge to Trowbridge, you could also have Stocksmoor to Stocksbridge too!
- Clifton Down to Clifton Road (the latter closed in the 1930's)
- Darton to Barton (on Humber).
 

ian1944

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2012
Messages
691
Location
North Berwick
Barry Island to Barry Links
Brookwood to Rhyl
Crewe to Crewkerne
James Cook to James Street
Kearsley to Kearsney
Knucklas to Neath
 

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
A slight play on the Welsh language here:

Castell-nedd to Castleford

Barry Island to Barry Links
Brookwood to Rhyl
Crewe to Crewkerne
James Cook to James Street
Kearsley to Kearsney
Knucklas to Neath

I am slightly puzzled as to how Brookwood and Rhyl sound similar. I must admit that my only experiences of Rhyl were (when I was residing in my native West Midlands) a week's trip in 1983 and 1984 when I stayed in a guest house and caravan park respectively, and passing through on a Class 115/116 from Birmingham New Street to Llandudno in 1988.

I remember visiting the Sun Centre indoor swimming pool on my first visit to Rhyl. Unsure if it still exists nowadays.
 

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2016
Messages
3,414
A slight play on the Welsh language here:

Castell-nedd to Castleford



I am slightly puzzled as to how Brookwood and Rhyl sound similar. I must admit that my only experiences of Rhyl were (when I was residing in my native West Midlands) a week's trip in 1983 and 1984 when I stayed in a guest house and caravan park respectively, and passing through on a Class 115/116 from Birmingham New Street to Llandudno in 1988.

I remember visiting the Sun Centre indoor swimming pool on my first visit to Rhyl. Unsure if it still exists nowadays.

I was perplexed at Brookwood & Rhyl. Rhyl seafront isn’t too bad, but the town isn’t too impressive! Most Rhyl residents feel the poundshop is a bit pricey. The Sun Centre is no more, flattened. However, there remains plenty of caravan parks, and the miniature steam train round the lake still runs, even though the fun fair is long gone.
 

trickyvegas

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2009
Messages
362
Earlier this year, I bought a single from Stalybridge to Whaley Bridge and then walked back.
 

DanTrain

Member
Joined
9 Jul 2017
Messages
753
Location
Sheffield
There was a 1tpd service from Adwick that passed through Ardwick in the last timetable!

Also, we need a Liverpool Lime Street - London Liverpool Street service for maximum confusion :D. Perhaps this could go via Sheffield and Shenfield too.

I’m also waiting for a Mottingham to Cottingham via Nottingham service.
 

Mikey C

Established Member
Joined
11 Feb 2013
Messages
8,278
Chester to Chester-le-street via Chesterfield would be an amusing journey..l
 

CeeJ

Member
Joined
25 Jun 2017
Messages
168
Penistone to Scunthorpe

Manchester United Football Ground (MUF) to Finstock (FIN)

IBM (IBM) to Lapford (LAP) via Topsham (TOP).
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
Are we allowed mainland Europe?
Hel to Hell

Further things Polish: the line from Wolsztyn to Sulechow, now abandoned, had an intermediate station called Zodyn. On a "bash" of the Wolsztyn lines long ago, I suggested to my companions that if an inhabitant of the village concerned, decided to take his summer seaside holiday at Hel; the wording on his train ticket, would look like a medium-strength English imprecation. They advised me to hang on to my day job...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top