• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia:Electrified stations which are only served by Diesel Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
Just a simple thread which stations are electrified by either Overhead Live Wires or 3rd rail but all the trains calling there are Diesel Powered.

So far I have got.

Carnforth, Euxton Balshaw Lane, Newcraighall, Brunstane, Leyland, Chathill, Pegswood, Widdrington, Acklington, Cramlington, Manors, Chester-le-Street, Thirsk, Manchester Victoria, Earlstown, Eccles and Patricroft.

There is of course Sunderland which is electrified but only served by diesel National Rail services as well as the electric Tyne and Wear Metro.

Can anyone think of any other stations?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nymanic

Member
Joined
6 Jan 2014
Messages
147
Location
Manchester
Hazel Grove, Woodsmoor and Davenport.

And not forgetting Newton-le-Willows.

I'm not sure about Carnforth - the remaining platforms are just off the WCML, and so probably aren't electrified.
 

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
I'm not sure about Carnforth - the remaining platforms are just off the WCML, and so probably aren't electrified.

They are to serve the goods yard I think but the electrification ends very shortly after.

With Deansgate and Manchester Oxford Road am I right in thinking that until the Manchester and Scottish TPE trains started running through Wigan in 2012 the only electric train stopping at both those stations was the evening Deansgate to Stoke-on-Trent train.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,353
Location
Bolton
I understand one EMU a day is diagrammed to start a service at Hazel Grove.

Not absolutely sure though.

There used to be - it was removed 2 timetables ago.

Manchester Victoria is not yet electrified either.

There are several daily services to Oxford Road by 323s in addition to the Deansgate - Stoke.
 
Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,842
Location
Clydebank
For stations that formerly came under this criteria, Dumbreck & Corkerhill on the Paisley Canal Line.
 

NSE

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2010
Messages
1,920
I think Acton Mainline qualifies, unless Heathrow Connect makes a couple of calls? T'net seemed to suggest the additional evening services that occasionally stopped were Reading/Slough services not heathrow
 

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Joined
18 Apr 2011
Messages
2,825
Location
Birmingham
Birmingham Snow Hill has overhead wires, but they are 1500v DC as far as I am aware and only the trams use them. All heavy rail is diesel and it's kept separate from the platform the trams use.
 

Scotrail84

On Moderation
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
2,977
Just a simple thread which stations are electrified by either Overhead Live Wires or 3rd rail but all the trains calling there are Diesel Powered.



So far I have got.



Carnforth, Euxton Balshaw Lane, Newcraighall, Brunstane, Leyland, Chathill, Pegswood, Widdrington, Acklington, Cramlington, Manors, Chester-le-Street, Thirsk, Manchester Victoria, Earlstown, Eccles and Patricroft.



There is of course Sunderland which is electrified but only served by diesel National Rail services as well as the electric Tyne and Wear Metro.



Can anyone think of any other stations?


I have worked a 322 to newcraighall years ago. A special on fireworks night.
 

Railsigns

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2010
Messages
2,754
For stations that formerly came under this criteria, Dumbreck & Corkerhill on the Paisley Canal Line.

Not so, in the case of Corkerhill. Until the electrification of the Paisley Canal line two years ago, the line serving Corkerhill station platform was non-electrified although there was an electrified depot headshunt running alongside.
 

po8crg

Member
Joined
6 Feb 2014
Messages
559
Several stations from Broad Green to Earlestown are electrified now but don't yet have any electric services.



Are there any electric trains that actually call at Deansgate?
 

steamybrian

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
2,003
Location
Kent
Needham Market on the Ipswich-Norwich main line is (I believe) only served by Ipswich-Bury St.Edmunds-Ely line trains worked by DMUs.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
What goods yard? Carnforth won't have handled any freight since the 1960's.

There's a couple of sidings on the south side of the line just beyond the station that the juicing runs to. According to Quail only p2 (the Barrow / Leeds platform) is electrified.
 

LWB

Member
Joined
31 Dec 2009
Messages
245
The Barrow line has OHLE installed for about half a mile. When I'm on the platform I like to look at the efforts they took to get the conductor round that notoriously sharp curve.
 

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
Are there any electric trains that actually call at Deansgate?

The 17:10 train from Deansgate to Stoke-on-Trent is the only one I think and its operated by a Class 323.

With Carnforth the infrastructure is there for both platforms although I don't know if its ever used, Carnforth has quite a large amount of goods yards that I don't think see regular use.
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,760
Location
Nottingham
Birmingham Snow Hill has overhead wires, but they are 1500v DC as far as I am aware and only the trams use them. All heavy rail is diesel and it's kept separate from the platform the trams use.

750V, the maximum voltage for tramways. On that basis you could also add the stations on the Jewellery line plus some on the Manchester, Nottingham and Sheffield tramways.
 

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,842
Location
Clydebank
Not so, in the case of Corkerhill. Until the electrification of the Paisley Canal line two years ago, the line serving Corkerhill station platform was non-electrified although there was an electrified depot headshunt running alongside.
Ah, I see. Cheers. :)
 
Last edited:

Helvellyn

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2009
Messages
2,588
Monday to Friday you can add Lymington Town and Lymington Pier to the list.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top