I believe that a number of heritage railways have considered running community rail services for the benefit of local residents and commuters, but so far very few such schemes have come to fruition.
For example, the East Lancs has looked at running a Rawtenstall-Manchester commuter service, either using a tram-train running via the Metrolink line or a conventional DMU via Castleton. I also seem to recall that in its early days the Spa Valley Railway thought about running a commuter service.
The only example I know of that actually operated, is on the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch which runs (or ran until recently) a daily school train to cater for local schoolchildren.
Does anyone know of any other railways that have ever operated, or seriously considered operating, any form of community rail service?
I guess the difficulty would be finding the manpower and suitable rolling stock to operate such a service, particularly as the trains used would nowadays have to comply with the Rail Vehicle Accessibility Regulations and thus look out of place on a heritage railway (not that this would matter to regular commuters).
For example, the East Lancs has looked at running a Rawtenstall-Manchester commuter service, either using a tram-train running via the Metrolink line or a conventional DMU via Castleton. I also seem to recall that in its early days the Spa Valley Railway thought about running a commuter service.
The only example I know of that actually operated, is on the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch which runs (or ran until recently) a daily school train to cater for local schoolchildren.
Does anyone know of any other railways that have ever operated, or seriously considered operating, any form of community rail service?
I guess the difficulty would be finding the manpower and suitable rolling stock to operate such a service, particularly as the trains used would nowadays have to comply with the Rail Vehicle Accessibility Regulations and thus look out of place on a heritage railway (not that this would matter to regular commuters).