• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Busiest stations with no more than 1 train per hour

Farigiraf

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2023
Messages
1,221
Location
Bridge on the River Cam
A poster on the thread about the proposed station in Cheadle (Manchester) states the following:
National Rail seemed to wish to downplay the Mid-Cheshire Line service - I believe refusing the promised 2tph service because of the number of uncontrolled user operated farm crossings. Leaving Knutsford as the station with the most passengers for a 1tph service in the country.

While it's a fair point, I reckon there are stations that can beat Knutsford's 371k annual entries/exits. For example, Bridgwater with 487k per year. Are there any others?
I'm not counting stations with increased services at peak times, like Canterbury East.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,540
Barnstaple receives an hourly service but reported 609,000 entries and exits last year.
 

VT 390

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2018
Messages
1,755
While it's a fair point, I reckon there are stations that can beat Knutsford's 371k annual entries/exits. For example, Bridgwater with 487k per year. Are there any others?
I'm not counting stations with increased services at peak times, like Canterbury East.
Would that not exclude both Knutsford and Bridgwater as both these stations have a few extra services in addition to the standard hourly service?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Barnstaple receives an hourly service but reported 609,000 entries and exits last year.
With a strictly hourly service with no extras I think Barnstaple does have the highest usage of any National Rail station.

The only 2 higher usage stations I can immediately think of are Stroud (has additional peak service in each direction each day) and Braintree (has a slightly more frequent service in peak hours). I think the entries and exits for all other stations higher than Barnstaple have more than an hourly service.
 
Last edited:

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,571
Location
Taunton or Kent
Did this one earlier this year, although the criteria was less strict:

 

Top