Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!
I always found PMT an unfortunate name. Clearly given that abbrieviation by men who may not have realised the abbreviation is much more common for Pre-Menstrual Tension.
I always found PMT an unfortunate name. Clearly given that abbrieviation by men who may not have realised the abbreviation is much more common for Pre-Menstrual Tension.
I will admit to having come across PMT (the bus company) before I knew what the other meaning was. But I was only 12 when I first saw their buses. (Well actually I would have probably seen them even earlier than that, but I was 12 when I actually noticed them...)
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
I thought Badgerline was quite a good name as it suggests 'rural' and quite well represents the predominantly rural area of Somerset, Avon and Wiltshire that they served.
But my opinion of them did decline a little when I actually started using them regularly... And I remember "Bodgerline" was one common nickname for them.
They weren't that bad IMO (this was in the privatised days in the mid nineties) but the fares were a little high. I found their operations, diagramming, and variety of vehicles interesting which helped my opinion of them.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Also...
Not buses, but trains, but when I was using Wales and West regularly in the late 90s, I nicknamed them "Snails and Pest". Don't think it was a widely used moniker though.
Overcrowded 2-car 158s (few 3- or 4-car in those days, and the one train booked a 4-car - and it needed it, the "17.35 Wales and West Alphaline service to Portsmouth Harbour" as announced at Bath - was frequently only 2) and frequently late services (the same 17.35 being a notorious one for delay, I remember it not-infrequently arrived behind the following 17.51 to Weymouth and then crawled along behind it making it even later) was the cause...
When Arriva first had the rail franchise in the North and various staffing problems somebody on a forum doctored their logo to NODRIVA which could probably apply to some of their bus operations at the moment.
lol...though looking at the Aldershot and District timetables on timetableworld.com for 1969, if we got that level of service back nowadays I'd be very happy. Frequencies which one could only dream of in the 1980s and onwards on many routes, and rural services now long, long gone.
Whilst on the SBG theme, one of the other ‘new’ company’s was Clydeside Scottish, which was often heard referred to as Kerbside Scottish due to their perceived reliability!
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Whilst on the SBG theme, one of the other ‘new’ company’s was Clydeside Scottish, which was often heard referred to as Kerbside Scottish due to their perceived reliability!
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
I worked for them for quite a long time, and never heard them referred to as Slavecoach, by employees or others!
That entire area is notorious for cowboy bus operators. Travel Express, Lets Go, Discount Travel, Social Travel, Sunny Travel, R K Travel, Hi Ride, Sandwell Travel, Thandi Coaches, etc. I am sure there were probably a lot of other nicknames for bus operators in that area.
Camms Coaches which used to run a few local services around Nottingham had a reputation for breaking down. They were often referred to as Camms Collapsables.
After a patch when morning buses were late or missing (not a regular occurrence, but there were several in a week or two), a friend’s missus started referring to a Wincanton based operator as Not AWakes.
We all know that First Bus gained the moniker "Worst Bus" but there have been some other firms that have attracted unfortunate and unwanted alternative names.
Not wishing to offend anyone but Go OK Travel was an unfortunate portmaneau/corruption. However, more in the nickname stakes were:
Pride of the Road (West Yorkshire) - nicknamed Side of the Road on account of their reliability
TMS (aka Trimdon Motor Services) - known locally as Trimdon Muck Shifters
White Bus in Surrey and Berkshire have, since their large expansion in the last few years, so far been able to keep standards high and avoid the obvious switching of the ‘W’ to something else(!)
When on a Geography field trip to Shropshire in 1977, our local transport was provided by Salopia Saloon Coaches which I assume are no longer extant. As schoolboys do, we renamed them ‘Sloppy Saloon Coaches’ though there was, of course, nothing wrong with them.
This funny enough was the company's own doing...a lot of their buses were grimy and in incredibly poor condition at the time (several PG9s mind you). One of the buses had the logo half as--d applied and was missing the 'T' in Trustybus. An enthusiast quickly picked this up, and well as they say the rest is history.
A company many years ago called Nostalgia Bus in London had quite a few bridge strikes in a short space of time, earning the nickname the "Three Bridges Bus Company"
Blue Triangle was also often nicknames "Blue Tingle"
We are aware of an issue with emails from the Forum to Microsoft-based email accounts (hotmail/outlook/live.com email addresses). This is being looked into currently, thanks for your patience meanwhile.