• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Biggest cities served by fewest TOC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
We've had the stations served by the most TOC's, so how about the biggest towns/cities served by the fewest TOC's.

I'd say Leicester with only EMT and XC serving it. Other contenders would be Plymouth (GWR and XC), Norwich (AGA and EMT), and Middlesbrough (NT and TPE).

I guess the winner would be Belfast with only NIR, but let's stick to Great Britain only.

Any others with 2 or a maximum of 3 TOC's? The bigger the town or city the better.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

J-2739

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2016
Messages
2,238
Location
London
Well, there's Barnsley, with only one TOC (Northern).

Population- about 200,000.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Cue mass discussion on how you define population of places...

Not a city, but Swindon is massive and has just GWR serving it.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Using this source purely for consistency (though unofficial!) I get the following in order for having over 100,000 residents but with only one train operator: Bolton, Swindon, Slough, Poole, Ipswich, Birkenhead, High Wycombe, Colchester, Blackburn, Chelmsford, Eastbourne, Sutton Coldfield, Rochdale, Maidstone, Basildon, Crawley, Woking, Gillingham, Salford and St Helens.

The only cities there are Chelmsford and Salford!
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
Using this source purely for consistency (though unofficial!) I get the following in order for having over 100,000 residents but with only one train operator: Bolton, Swindon, Slough, Poole, Ipswich, Birkenhead, High Wycombe, Colchester, Blackburn, Chelmsford, Eastbourne, Sutton Coldfield, Rochdale, Maidstone, Basildon, Crawley, Woking, Gillingham, Salford and St Helens.

The only cities there are Chelmsford and Salford!

Wow! I didn't realise it was so many.
 
Joined
9 Apr 2016
Messages
1,909
I can think of quite a lot of large towns that only get one TOC each.

Aylesbury
Bicester North
Bicester Village
Bognor Regis
Burgess Hill
Canterbury East
Canterbury West
Crawley
Dover Priory
Eastbourne
Haywards Heath
High Wycombe
Horsham
Lewes
Littlehampton
Maidstone Barracks
Maidstone East
Maidstone West
Margate
Ramsgate
Swindon
Three Bridges
Tunbridge Wells
Woking

There are probably lots of others as well.
 

Intercity 225

Member
Joined
2 Mar 2014
Messages
329
Not a city but Mansfield is along the lines of what you're looking for with a population of c.100k and one TOC (EMT).
 

eastdyke

Established Member
Joined
25 Jan 2010
Messages
2,058
Location
East Midlands
Using this source purely for consistency (though unofficial!) I get the following in order for having over 100,000 residents but with only one train operator: Bolton, Swindon, Slough, Poole, Ipswich, Birkenhead, High Wycombe, Colchester, Blackburn, Chelmsford, Eastbourne, Sutton Coldfield, Rochdale, Maidstone, Basildon, Crawley, Woking, Gillingham, Salford and St Helens.

The only cities there are Chelmsford and Salford!

Northampton only escapes your list by the skin of it's teeth!
 

306024

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2013
Messages
3,974
Location
East Anglia
Using this source purely for consistency (though unofficial!) I get the following in order for having over 100,000 residents but with only one train operator: Bolton, Swindon, Slough, Poole, Ipswich, Birkenhead, High Wycombe, Colchester, Blackburn, Chelmsford, Eastbourne, Sutton Coldfield, Rochdale, Maidstone, Basildon, Crawley, Woking, Gillingham, Salford and St Helens.

The only cities there are Chelmsford and Salford!

Lots of people not answering the exam question here ;)

Based on that source, Chelmsford wins, where do I claim my prize?
 

eastdyke

Established Member
Joined
25 Jan 2010
Messages
2,058
Location
East Midlands
Lots of people not answering the exam question here ;)

Based on that source, Chelmsford wins, where do I claim my prize?

Having re-read the exam paper (always a good plan) the first line of the question was:

We've had the stations served by the most TOC's, so how about the biggest towns/cities served by the fewest TOC's.
 

306024

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2013
Messages
3,974
Location
East Anglia
Having re-read the exam paper (always a good plan) the first line of the question was:

We've had the stations served by the most TOC's, so how about the biggest towns/cities served by the fewest TOC's.

Oops :oops: :oops:

Indeed it was. Hoisted by my own .......
I blame MidnightFlyer for misleading me ;)
 

physics34

Established Member
Joined
1 Dec 2013
Messages
4,093
I can think of quite a lot of large towns that only get one TOC each.

Aylesbury
Bicester North
Bicester Village
Bognor Regis
Burgess Hill
Canterbury East
Canterbury West
Crawley
Dover Priory
Eastbourne
Haywards Heath
High Wycombe
Horsham
Lewes
Littlehampton
Maidstone Barracks
Maidstone East
Maidstone West
Margate
Ramsgate
Swindon
Three Bridges
Tunbridge Wells
Woking

There are probably lots of others as well.

Being pedantic...Three Bridges is in Crawley
 

al78

Established Member
Joined
7 Jan 2013
Messages
2,600
I can think of quite a lot of large towns that only get one TOC each.

Aylesbury
Bicester North
Bicester Village
Bognor Regis
Burgess Hill
Canterbury East
Canterbury West
Crawley
Dover Priory
Eastbourne
Haywards Heath
High Wycombe
Horsham
Lewes
Littlehampton
Maidstone Barracks
Maidstone East
Maidstone West
Margate
Ramsgate
Swindon
Three Bridges
Tunbridge Wells
Woking

There are probably lots of others as well.

Haywards Heath is served by Southern and Thameslink.
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,194
Well, there's Barnsley, with only one TOC (Northern).

Population- about 200,000.

Eh? Wikipedia states the population as being 91,297, albeit in 2011. Unless you're not only referring to the town but a wider area.
 

MK Tom

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2011
Messages
2,458
Location
Milton Keynes
We've had the stations served by the most TOC's, so how about the biggest towns/cities served by the fewest TOC's.

I'd say Leicester with only EMT and XC serving it. Other contenders would be Plymouth (GWR and XC), Norwich (AGA and EMT), and Middlesbrough (NT and TPE).

I guess the winner would be Belfast with only NIR, but let's stick to Great Britain only.

Any others with 2 or a maximum of 3 TOC's? The bigger the town or city the better.

Strictly speaking Belfast is served by the Enterprise which is co-operated by Iarnrod Eireann, so I think that counts as two!
 

J-2739

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2016
Messages
2,238
Location
London
Eh? Wikipedia states the population as being 91,297, albeit in 2011. Unless you're not only referring to the town but a wider area.

Seems high. I'd be surprised if it was much bigger than Burnley: c80k

Barnsley has a population of 91,000. The wider borough has 239,000.

Yeah, I was referring to the wider metropolitan borough, henceforth, a population of around 200,000.

I think it's to do with South Yorkshire being a Metropolitan Borough.
 

AndrewE

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2015
Messages
7,350
Using this source purely for consistency (though unofficial!) I get the following in order for having over 100,000 residents but with only one train operator: Bolton, Swindon, Slough, Poole, Ipswich, Birkenhead, High Wycombe, Colchester, Blackburn, Chelmsford, Eastbourne, Sutton Coldfield, Rochdale, Maidstone, Basildon, Crawley, Woking, Gillingham, Salford and St Helens.

The only cities there are Chelmsford and Salford!

Let's hope Bolton gets 2 TOCs again soon!
A
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top