• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: areas that Wright Streetlites have never ventured to

Status
Not open for further replies.

LUYMun

Established Member
Joined
15 Jul 2018
Messages
1,390
Location
Cancelled

I took inspiration from this thread on the main railways discussion regarding where the Class 158 DMU's have never travelled to, and there have been some spots mentioned.

I thought about this from a bus perspective, and wondered that surely the Streetlites, god-awful they would be, must never have been to a particular area within the UK or British Isles, as they can be possibly found on every corner of the British Isles, even on the Isle of Man :lol:
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LAIRA

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2014
Messages
437

I took inspiration from this thread on the main railways discussion regarding where the Class 158 DMU's have never travelled to, and there have been some spots mentioned.

I thought about this from a bus perspective, and wondered that surely the Streetlites, god-awful they would be, must never have been to a particular area within the UK or British Isles, as they can be possibly found on every corner of the British Isles, even on the Isle of Man :lol:
Plymouth is a city that has never operated Streetlites. The nearest they have reached is Tavistock on service 118 operated by Dartline of Exeter.
 

Surreyman

Member
Joined
29 Jan 2012
Messages
1,020
To the best of my knowledge the Isle of Wight has never been tainted or defiled by a Streetlite.
 

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,837
Location
Clydebank
I was gonna say Helensburgh, but then I remembered Wilson's of Rhu had two Wheel-Forward examples dating from 2015 for use on their services in the area, primarily the 316 to/from Coulport and the 340 to/from Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley (a handful of Monday-Friday only services started/finished at Helensburgh; the majority of the 340's workings terminate at the Vale of Leven Hospital in Alexandria). Both have since been sold on and the 340 is now operated by McColl's. Nowadays, First Glasgow's Dumbarton depot occasionally produces a Streetlite vice a E300 on the 1B to/from Glasgow.

Clydebank has seen Streetlites since at least May 2014 (attached image below dates from this period; my own work), when the 10-strong batch of 476xx Door-Forwards arrived at First Glasgow's Parkhead depot (intended for the 90 between Partick & Braehead, but could occasionally crop up on the 2 and the 60), but routine operation of the type in the area didn't really start until First bought a batch of 13-plate ex Go-Ahead London Door-Forwards from Ensign for the Clydebank Locals (M11, M60 & 81) in late 2019/early 2020.

West Dunbartonshire-20140526-00518.jpg
 
Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,166
Location
Elginshire
I was about to suggest my own area, but Moray Council had a couple of those Nu-Vibe derivatives - do they count? I know that Stagecoach Highland acquired at least one from D&E coaches, but I don't know if it has made it this far.
 

Mollman

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2016
Messages
1,721
Location
Preston
Hull, East Yorkshire and Scarborough as luckily EYMS (as was) stuck with Volvo rather than Wrights at Euro 6 and had been buying E200s happily for smaller single deckers. Go Ahead has stuck with that purchasing policy, whilst Stagecoach East Midlands haven't had any either.
 

scosutsut

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2019
Messages
1,222
Location
scosutsut
I don't think East Lothian has suffered them on public service.

First didn't grace us with anything that modern prior to running away withdrawing.
 

JKP

Member
Joined
3 Jan 2023
Messages
726
Location
SE Scotland
Other than two or possibly three WF examples operated by Peter Hogg, I am not aware of any operating in the Scottish Borders Council area. I think the same goes for Dumfries and Galloway.
 

Agent_Squash

Established Member
Joined
22 Jul 2016
Messages
1,271
Stagecoach Cumbria and North Lancashire haven’t operated them so it would be pretty reasonable to assume they haven’t been further west than Kendal/Penrith/Carlisle in Cumbria.
 

jackot

Member
Joined
1 Aug 2021
Messages
343
Location
Surrey
I don't think they have ever been anywhere near Aldershot, Alton or even Basingstoke for that matter, being mostly in Stagecoach territory. For that I am very thankful :lol: Guildford doesn't see any anymore; I think Arriva may have had a few.
 

markymark2000

On Moderation
Joined
11 May 2015
Messages
5,122
Location
Great Britain
They may have passed through on deliveries but I don't think that the Anglesey has ever seen Streetlites in service. To be fair, most of North Wales hasnt seen Streetlites. There are only 2 in existence in the area (that I can remember) and they belong to M&H Coaches and they have only operated them on a few routes.
 

RDP

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2023
Messages
97
Location
Kent
The Folkestone & Hythe district of Kent, as far as I am aware, has never seen them in service all services in the area being operated by Stagecoach South East who have never had Streetlites.
 

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2012
Messages
1,860
I don't think they have ever been anywhere near Aldershot, Alton or even Basingstoke for that matter, being mostly in Stagecoach territory. For that I am very thankful :lol: Guildford doesn't see any anymore; I think Arriva may have had a few.
Guildford is indeed free of Streetlites since Arriva shipped their door-forward variants off to other areas in the run up to their withdrawal, but it also used to see wheel-forward examples with Buses Excetera and door-forward variants when Compass first took over the 42. Arriva shipped theirs off before closure, Buses Excetera are no more, and Compass no longer have any in the fleet.

Aldershot and Basingstoke have certainly seen Streetlites on rail replacements from the likes of First Berkshire and Reading Buses, with Basingstoke also seeing a wheel-forward variant during the 2012 Olympics torch relay (as someone thought of above). Alton has seen a handful as attendees at the Alton Bus Rally from the likes of First and Metrobus. If we are talking in regular service though, then the closest to Aldershot would probably be Dickson Travel when they had wheel-forward MX60 GXE as the regular on the Frimley Park Hospital to Woking route 48 prior to replacing it with a 58-plate Solo. Alton certainly hasn't had any regular service runs with them, and I can't think of why one would be in Basingstoke unless there was an overlap between Reading Buses acquiring Courtney and them disposing of their Streetlites and ever using one on one of the corporate contracts (although I'm not aware of it happening).
 

Man of Kent

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2018
Messages
911
The Folkestone & Hythe district of Kent, as far as I am aware, has never seen them in service all services in the area being operated by Stagecoach South East who have never had Streetlites.
Crosskeys Coaches has one, which may well see use on their registered school services. It certainly ran school duplicates for Stagecoach during Covid. And similar to elsewhere as others have pointed out, it turns up on rail replacement from time to time across East Kent, along with those of Regent Coaches.
 

cnjb8

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2019
Messages
2,304
Location
Nottingham
I don’t think Nottingham, Skegness & Blackpool have seen any of them
Nottingham had Streetlites operated by Winsons Coaches on the 63 between the QMC and Keyworth. Both the buses and route are long gone though.
Furthermore, there may be a chance that a Yourbus Streetlite worked a service in Nottingham despite them usually working on Derbyshire tenders
 

Fleetmaster

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2023
Messages
353
Location
Hounslow
Edinburgh? Don't know the independents too well, but Lothian has never had them (but they are notably a big Wrightbus customer).

The real question is, where did the Dart never go? Hint: it wasn't Edinburgh!
 

Djb1

Member
Joined
12 Aug 2021
Messages
86
Location
Manchester
They may have passed through on deliveries but I don't think that the Anglesey has ever seen Streetlites in service. To be fair, most of North Wales hasnt seen Streetlites. There are only 2 in existence in the area (that I can remember) and they belong to M&H Coaches and they have only operated them on a few routes.
OR Jones have operated a Streetlite (possibly on hire), and Padarn Bus did as well (although I can’t confirm it ever went to Anglesey).
 
Last edited by a moderator:

markymark2000

On Moderation
Joined
11 May 2015
Messages
5,122
Location
Great Britain
OR jones have operated a streetlite (possibly on hire), and padarn bus did as well (although I can’t confirm it ever went to Anglesey)
The thought popped into my head but I did some googling and couldn't find it so thought I was mistaken.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,648
Location
Hampshire
Guildford is indeed free of Streetlites since Arriva shipped their door-forward variants off to other areas in the run up to their withdrawal, but it also used to see wheel-forward examples with Buses Excetera and door-forward variants when Compass first took over the 42. Arriva shipped theirs off before closure, Buses Excetera are no more, and Compass no longer have any in the fleet.

Aldershot and Basingstoke have certainly seen Streetlites on rail replacements from the likes of First Berkshire and Reading Buses, with Basingstoke also seeing a wheel-forward variant during the 2012 Olympics torch relay (as someone thought of above). Alton has seen a handful as attendees at the Alton Bus Rally from the likes of First and Metrobus. If we are talking in regular service though, then the closest to Aldershot would probably be Dickson Travel when they had wheel-forward MX60 GXE as the regular on the Frimley Park Hospital to Woking route 48 prior to replacing it with a 58-plate Solo. Alton certainly hasn't had any regular service runs with them, and I can't think of why one would be in Basingstoke unless there was an overlap between Reading Buses acquiring Courtney and them disposing of their Streetlites and ever using one on one of the corporate contracts (although I'm not aware of it happening).
Don’t even remind me about it, that was not a pleasant return home after a nightshift, having one of those bone rattling examples from Reading via all stations back to Basingstoke. Still, at least unlike the E200 (which decided to disown its own gearbox at Mortimer one morning) it made it back!
 

TR673

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2019
Messages
124
Location
Nottingham
Nottingham had Streetlites operated by Winsons Coaches on the 63 between the QMC and Keyworth. Both the buses and route are long gone though.
Furthermore, there may be a chance that a Yourbus Streetlite worked a service in Nottingham despite them usually working on Derbyshire tenders
Can confirm Yourbus Streetlites did crop up in Nottingham fairly often at one point, both DF and WF variants.
Additionally CT4N (Community Transport 4 Nottingham) have a loaned-in WF that is being used on the Medilink, so it's not Streetlite-free at the moment.

I reckon Grimsby doesn't have any Streetlites, and I think the only thing stopping most of Lincolnshire being on the list are a couple of WF examples at PC Coaches.
 

DunsBus

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2013
Messages
1,814
Location
Duns
Other than two or possibly three WF examples operated by Peter Hogg, I am not aware of any operating in the Scottish Borders Council area. I think the same goes for Dumfries and Galloway.
Perryman's had a few on loan from a dealer in summer 2013, in the wake of the Munro's closure and pending delivery of new Optare Versas.
 

Snow1964

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2019
Messages
11,209
Location
West Wiltshire
Don't think they have ever been in central Wiltshire (Chippenham, Melksham, Devizes etc)

West Wiltshire (Trowbridge, Warminster) has seen them occasionally when First have used a Bath one on D1 service
 

Eyersey468

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2018
Messages
2,602
Hull, East Yorkshire and Scarborough as luckily EYMS (as was) stuck with Volvo rather than Wrights at Euro 6 and had been buying E200s happily for smaller single deckers. Go Ahead has stuck with that purchasing policy, whilst Stagecoach East Midlands haven't had any either.
It did surprise me that EY never even had one on demonstration
 

Man of Kent

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2018
Messages
911
Don't think they have ever been in central Wiltshire (Chippenham, Melksham, Devizes etc)

West Wiltshire (Trowbridge, Warminster) has seen them occasionally when First have used a Bath one on D1 service
First use to use them on the 272 Bath-Melksham. I had the misfortune to listen to the usual rattling emergency door on that very trip.
 

Mollman

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2016
Messages
1,721
Location
Preston
Edinburgh? Don't know the independents too well, but Lothian has never had them (but they are notably a big Wrightbus customer).

The real question is, where did the Dart never go? Hint: it wasn't Edinburgh!
First now McGill's interurban routes from West Lothian and Falkirk into Edinburgh use them regularly.
 

Silver Cobra

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2015
Messages
1,008
Location
Bedfordshire
This may be delving down a bit too far into smaller settlements but, as far as I am aware, Streetlites have not visited Shefford, Biggleswade or Sandy down here in Bedfordshire, as neither Stagecoach East or Grant Palmer have them in this neck of the woods. Had it not been for Uno having a few of them, I would have been able to include Bedford in that, but sadly Uno have used them on their C1 and C10 services between Bedford and Milton Keynes.

Speaking of Stagecoach East, it makes me wonder if Cambridge and Peterborough could be included in this list. I don't believe East has any in either location, but I'm unsure about the smaller operators in each area (e.g. Whippet in Cambridge).
 

VioletEclipse

Member
Joined
10 Nov 2018
Messages
1,010
Location
Dùn Èideann
Edinburgh? Don't know the independents too well, but Lothian has never had them (but they are notably a big Wrightbus customer).

The real question is, where did the Dart never go? Hint: it wasn't Edinburgh!
Lothian have had 3 Streetlite demonstrators over the years, to my knowledge. To answer the post about East Lothian, East Lothian Council have (or had) some amount of Streetlites. For years first Scotland East used them a lot on services into and within Edinburgh, currently McGill's use the same Streetlites on the likes of the 20, X22, X24, X25, X38 and 63 in Edinburgh.
 

Djb1

Member
Joined
12 Aug 2021
Messages
86
Location
Manchester
The thought popped into my head but I did some googling and couldn't find it so thought I was mistaken.

A bit of flickr trawling shows both Jones and Padarn Streetlites on Anglesey routes.


 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top