Ok, here's my historic offering from 31st January 1987.... Just a few days after
@TheSel visited North Yorkshire. Sadly, I don't have a photographic record but will add some images taken by the late Mark Harrington (
https://www.flickr.com/photos/markh737 on Flickr), possibly the foremost snapper of the fleet and a founder of the United Enthusiasts Club that illustrate some vehicles from that era.
I began the day from Catterick with my Explorer in hand; this was not long after dereg and they were still valid on most other NBC/former NBC firms but this was a United only day. Also, you couldn't buy them on the bus; you had to buy the day before from a travel office or Post Office and they were a scratch off version. My first machine was a very modern machine being Olympian 255 which would take me on the main route via Richmond to Darlington. This vehicle was the only new double decker ever allocated to that depot and reflected the rather quaint approach to allocations before deregulation where most depots seem to occasionally get a new bus even if loadings rarely justified it! That said, the 27/28 were well paying services (but not in the same league as Northumberland or Durham City).
View attachment 109600
Darlington bus station was a horrendous place to wait for a bus, being an undercover combined depot and bus station. The place was dingy and fume filled but at least you could see plenty of the fleet. Darlington depot had a relatively small allocation historically but the first Darlington bus war was gaining momentum so there were plenty of newish Merc minibuses that were employed on town routes, as well as older VRs used to enhance the Newton Aycliffe routes, used in competition with Darlington Transport Co. An innovation was the creation of a fast service to Middlesbrough as DTC had threatened to introduce one (and actually did so with a service limited to just peak journeys) so I caught the X14 to Middlesbrough worked by a Plaxton bodied Leyland Leopard of Darlington depot, 6242 NDC242W, taking a mere 25 mins to the modern and still fantastic bus station in Middlesbrough. I think this was an extra in the timetable as the route was generally run by Bishop Auckland with 12m ex NX Leopards.
View attachment 109601
I had a bit of time in Middlesbrough so I suspect I might have had a mooch, nipped into get some timetables to plan my trip further, and a tea in the cafe, before heading out for another post de-reg innovation - the fast service to Guisborough and Loftus and then to Whitby. This was the X56, operated by Loftus depot. As such, it was part of a very complex bit of interworking at the Middlesbrough end (with the 256 and 262 at least) so it had no dedicated vehicles so you could and did get anything; timekeeping wasn't bad despite only THREE mins layover in Whitby! I was only heading to Loftus and with the random bus generator, I got Bristol LH 1588. It was one of the oldest vehicles still going in the United fleet and definitely the oldest LH; the photo is from 1985 but it had been sent to Loftus at dereg from Bishop Auckland so still wore that livery.
View attachment 109602
It was doubtless a spirited trip through North Ormesby, up Ormesby Bank and then the thrash on the A171 to Guisborough before we began the climb up through Skelton and Brotton before I disembarked at the United depot in Loftus. You can, of course, still enjoy that route on Arriva's 5 routes though the depot went c.2007/8, and it's an interesting trip through places on the edge of the moors which have a real feel of backwater! I then had a short hop on the Loftus town service back into the town centre from the peripheral depot on another LH (1634) before my next vehicle then came. Loftus had a sole Plaxton bodied Leopard in 6214, allocated from new and slightly older than 6242 and a Plaxton Supreme III, and it was this that gave me a luxurious trip back down into Redcar. Interestingly, this vehicle seemingly had not been painted since new which was very rare in those days.
Redcar in January is best described as bracing (!) so I clearly didn't linger long and then caught the 281 back via Guisborough to Stokesley. Operated by Stokesley depot, this was nearly always decker operated and it was one of United's first Olympians in 206 SPY206X. Sadly, this journey is no more as Arriva closed the sweet little depot in Stokesley, selling it for housing, and more recently, cut back the route from Redcar to Guisborough. It was certainly a scenic run along the bottom of the Cleveland Hills and in the shadow of Roseberry Topping, a local hilly landmark, and through the picturesque village of Great Ayton to Stokesley, a sweet Yorkshire market town. You can still get the 81 to Guisborough but the service to Stokesley is now 4 times a day with a local independent.
I didn't linger as I caught the main route to Middlesbrough. This has been another Arriva casualty with a pronounced decline from what was three buses per hour to merely hourly in 2021; from having enough services to sustain a small depot in 2003, Stokesley now has just one Arriva bus per hour. Having had 1588 earlier, I had the next oldest LH in 1589 and a boisterous run through the countryside, Middlesbrough's suburbs and what would be called inner "city" to the bus station. I was clearly just clocking up buses next as I then fitted in a standard National 3085 of Redcar depot on a unnecessary 269 to Stockton before catching the X1 to Durham (which still runs today). At this time, there were usually deckers from United (Olympians) and Northern (Metrobuses) but instead, this was a United Tiger 6265, demoted from NX work. It was one of six examples United bought that were really spartan inside - all formica and uniquely, had sliding window vents, that were clearly to local express spec but were bleak even for that!
View attachment 109603
This beast was a good shifter and we went across the open lands to Sedgefield via Thorpe Thewles (great name). From there, we passed what was still the mental hospital at Winterton, and the coking works at Fishburn; all this has now been largely swept away as the area has been redeveloped. We arrived at Durham bus station - a terribly cramped and awful place to wait. So I didn't and instead got the X40 to Peterlee; almost invariably a National or LH, it had one of Peterlee's two VRs with 713 which was a beautifully well-kept vehicle despite being 10 years old. Quite a nice, tightly timed trip (27 mins) to Peterlee where I got off. This was pre the bus station so it was a disparate bunch of bus stops on Burnhope Way. The light would've been fading so I headed home and caught the 213 to Darlington in the shape of Sunderland depot's (yes, United had a depot of 10 vehicles in Sunderland) National 3071 that had been there since new.
It was an absolutely nail and 1h 45 of being sat on brown vinyl as we careered across Co Durham is not recommended. Again, this route survives as the 21 with Arriva and follows much the same route via the Trimdons and cutting back across my earlier path via Sedgefield and then to Newton Aycliffe. We arrived back into Darlington not long after 5, and it was a reunion with Olympian 255 back to Richmond. Anxious to fit in one last vehicle type (and get closer to home), I finished with one of the three Mercedes 608 van converted minis that Richmond depot had, 2459, which lasted long enough to gain Arriva livery some 12 years later.
Anyhow, hope you enjoyed this recollection of 35 years ago and thanks to the much missed Mark Harrington for some photos that capture those days. Next trip will be in the North East too and more contemporary....hopefully!