• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trip writers and readers 2018 plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
Well folks it’s the start of another year in a few days time and I’ve read of a few people’s plans in their various threads (was just reading Richards. Man you’d better start saving :lol:).
I am not going to be too ambitious but hopefully when I look back in twelve months time at this I’ll have done these things:

Mainline:

A long overdue visit to the Gunnislake branch (last done in about 1983)
A first ever trip on the Falmouth line (the only Devon and Cornwall branch I haven’t done).
A bit of slam door HST action.
The 37s in Norfolk.
Maybe another trip to do the 37s in Cumbria.
More use of trains generally.

Preserved:

A couple of new lines hopefully, like the Churnet Valley/Ecclesbourne Valley and I’d love to do the North Yorkshire Moors.
The new extended G&WR.
The Bluebell (I need the new bit to East Grinstead).

Further afield:

No trips abroad planned this year but hoping to cover the Belfast to Larne line next time we’re visiting the family.

At home:

I have a shed in the garden now for my 00 recreation of a bit of 1980s Waterloo - Exeter heaven.
I’m looking forward to getting on with this more than anything at the moment and I’ve been stockpiling wood and various other things over the last year ready to crack on in about a months time.

Looking forward to reading everyone else’s plans.
Hope all your bashing dreams come true.
Happy New Year all. ;)
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
Indeed my main plan is a little insane but I suspect it'll get pegged back a bit (maybe stopping at Madrid as i've already been to Lisbon anyway) :lol:

Mainline:

Actually get north of Inverness. Visit Kyle and Far North lines and maybe stay in that station cottage at Corrour (in conjunction with a visit to Fort William and Mallaig)
Get stuck in with the last of the GWR HSTs
Hit 2,000 shacks visited (currently at about 1,750)
Do the Cumbrian 37s again

International (vice preserved as I do little of that):

Benelux Interrail
Visit Berlin and fulfill the OMSI players fantasy of actually riding on line 137 :lol:
That crazy Summer Interrail plan of Oslo to Madrid via Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Poland, Czechia, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Switzerland, Italy and France (have since booked flights so this is actually happening)

At home:

Earn as much as possible for all of the above with this part time teaching job I have (old college have asked me to come back and help with the current year 13s who are struggling a bit)
 
Last edited:

ash39

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2012
Messages
1,524
Good thread!

Got a rough plan drawn up for my first major trip of the year in May. I'll be revisiting Cardiff, this time with a mate, to get the last of the Welsh pacers in the book, and visit more lines/stations in the area. After a day/night there, then moving on to Devon and visiting some new teritory for me (by rail at least).

Which fits in well with my overall aim for the year, which is to entirely clear the pacers and make inroads into the HST's (need about 90% of GWR!)

I also fancy another trip to Glasgow and Anglia. In addition to this I want to clear all the Class 91's for 100 miles, and no doubt I'll be enjoying the Class 68's when they start with TPE. It expect it'll be a busy year...
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,717
Location
West Riding
I still have one final trip this year which I'm looking forward to, but 2018:

Already planned:

- Far North Line
- Caledonian Sleeper MK2/3 stock farewell, plus hopefully class 92 as new traction.
- Highland Chieftain

Ambitions:

- Get a millennial railcard!
- Severn Valley Railway and Great Central Railway
- West Highland Line (I say that every year, it seems quite hard to formulate a decent itinerary from Yorkshire)
- I've booked a flight to Southern Italy, hope to travel home by train.
- Try GWR 80x class.
- Visit some lines in West Wales
- Some TPE 68 haulage
- Visit some lines in the East Midlands, using my new base in Sheffield
- A couple of railtours, hopefully with one involving class 20 haulage as I need that badly!

I think I'll be happy if I achieve half of that!
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
I still have one final trip this year which I'm looking forward to, but 2018:

Already planned:

- Far North Line
- Caledonian Sleeper MK2/3 stock farewell, plus hopefully class 92 as new traction.
- Highland Chieftain

Ambitions:

- Get a millennial railcard!
- Severn Valley Railway and Great Central Railway
- West Highland Line (I say that every year, it seems quite hard to formulate a decent itinerary from Yorkshire)
- I've booked a flight to Southern Italy, hope to travel home by train.
- Try GWR 80x class.
- Visit some lines in West Wales
- Some TPE 68 haulage
- Visit some lines in the East Midlands, using my new base in Sheffield
- A couple of railtours, hopefully with one involving class 20 haulage as I need that badly!

I think I'll be happy if I achieve half of that!

New base in Sheffield? That makes two of us!
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
I say 'new', I've been here a year now and only moved from Leeds! :D

I'm guessing you're at uni? Are you liking it so far?

Yes, I am! Currently in Netherthorpe and moving to Broomhill in September! And it's been pretty decent so far, a better base for exploring if anything else compared to Newcastle!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,822
Location
West of Andover
Sounds like a good thread, I can see 2018 for me being a bit more relaxing than 2017, especially when it comes to staying in various hotels for shack scoring :)

Plans:
A few railtours already booked (so shout if anybody else is doing them)
13/1 - The Severn Aggregator
27/1 - Thames Trumper Tour
10/2 - The Blue Boys Ribble Rouser Tour
10/3 - Valley of the Witch
17/3 - The Missing Link
7/4 - The Geordie-Go-Round

A couple more are on my maybe pile (plus waiting for the revised date for the Diamond Twenties tour)

Also a trip to Leeds at the end of January for a South Pennies Day Ranger, which will probably be a trip to Sheffield to try and get my first 399 into the book before something else currently undecided, a trip to Aberdeen in early January to revisit Forres [resited station]. Also a trip to Glasgow Queen Street behind a 86 on the diverted lowland sleeper.

Ambitions:
Keep on knocking down my reducing list of requirements on LU, plus mainline stuff [although at this point apart from some long term out of use units the only stuff I need is new & shiny]
Make a start on doing some preserved lines [probably more for the summer starting with local lines]
Some more bay platforms
 
Last edited:

Spoorslag '70

Member
Joined
29 Oct 2017
Messages
278
Location
Freising
(Mostly) planned: a total of ~10 days in London, 6 in the week leading up to easter, ~4 (+/-1) around october. Some more belgish stuff and knocking off the rest of the dutch network (Vlissingen, Roodeschool, Veendam, Nieuweschans, Stavoren and Harlingen).

There might be a couple of days in Berlin and Breme(rhave)n and a(tleast one) summer trip yet to decide (currently considering Manchester, Belgium, Prague, Glasgow, Luxemburg and Leipzig)
 

barrowjack

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2015
Messages
268
Location
Barrow - Home of the Bluebirds!!!
So far the (rough) plan for 2018 is
March - Weekend based in Lille, and my first taste of French railways (Already Booked)
Early May - East Midlands
Early June - London
Early August - Glasgow

Other than that, Cumbrian 37's while they are still around, Clear the 390's (4 needed), TPE 68's when they start and 67's on the North Wales Coast. I would like to at least do the East Lancs Railway as is Number 1 on the list of preserved lines to do, closely followed the Severn Valley.

Hopefully other things will fall into place as the year goes on :smile:
 

Vectron

Member
Joined
11 Dec 2017
Messages
33
The only definite trip is my usual week in to Germany in May. A trip to the Bouzonville (France) Good Friday Street Market using the closed cross-border line from Niedaltdorf would be a bonus (I was surprised it ran this year some I'm not optimistic).

Northern Ireland probably as two one-day trips. One for the domestic lines and one for the Belfast to Dublin line - fly to Belfast, train to Dublin, ferry to Holyhead, train to London.

And for the first time this millennium UK trips, mainly for traction on heritage lines. Maybe some track in East Anglia as well - have the loco hauled services to Great Yarmouth finished?
 

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
I don't have a lot planned atm.

Mostly local stuff, such as EMT HST & exGC HST bashing mainly.
Maybe a Derbyshire Wayfarer.

In June after Uni, I'm planning to do an Interrail trip with fishquinn.
 

433N

Guest
Joined
20 Jun 2017
Messages
752
TBH, I'm not one for grand plans at the mo.

Number 1 on my plan is to ride the 314s as much as possible prior to their withdrawal ... but they have reminded me of how much things change. So I currently think that my broader 'thing' is to go around chasing stuff which is about to disappear.

Recently, I've become aware of just how much the ECML is about to change and so I've been photographing and videoing HSTs and 91s - the stuff that you see every day and always take for granted without making the effort to photograph or video.

But I'd also like to spend a bit of time chasing Northern Pacers this year before they go.

...and I'd really like to take a trip down to that London and have some argy-bargy with the 313s before they disappear.

I'm hoping this thread doesn't get resurrected at the end of the year to show me how little of this I have actually done !
 

Dhassell

Member
Joined
22 Mar 2015
Messages
1,011
I don't really plan my trips in advance most of the times.
The only thing I am mostly sure about is the Dartmoor Railway Class 31 running day at the end of January.
Others than that. Time will tell!
 

TheAdelante

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2017
Messages
269
Well folks it’s the start of another year in a few days time and I’ve read of a few people’s plans in their various threads (was just reading Richards. Man you’d better start saving :lol:).
I am not going to be too ambitious but hopefully when I look back in twelve months time at this I’ll have done these things:

Mainline:

A long overdue visit to the Gunnislake branch (last done in about 1983)
A first ever trip on the Falmouth line (the only Devon and Cornwall branch I haven’t done).
A bit of slam door HST action.
The 37s in Norfolk.
Maybe another trip to do the 37s in Cumbria.
More use of trains generally.

Preserved:

A couple of new lines hopefully, like the Churnet Valley/Ecclesbourne Valley and I’d love to do the North Yorkshire Moors.
The new extended G&WR.
The Bluebell (I need the new bit to East Grinstead).

Further afield:

No trips abroad planned this year but hoping to cover the Belfast to Larne line next time we’re visiting the family.

At home:

I have a shed in the garden now for my 00 recreation of a bit of 1980s Waterloo - Exeter heaven.
I’m looking forward to getting on with this more than anything at the moment and I’ve been stockpiling wood and various other things over the last year ready to crack on in about a months time.

Looking forward to reading everyone else’s plans.
Hope all your bashing dreams come true.
Happy New Year all. ;)
I really look forward to your report (if you do one) on the Gunnislake and Maritime lines, I love the Devon and Cornwall branch lines and always will!
R :)
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,442
Location
Yorkshire
Hopefully we'll see a good number of you at the Greater Manchester Challenge: Saturday 6 January? Some people don't like doing the actual Challenge but have a day riding trains, trams whatever in the area and then join us for the meal afterwards.

A forum trip to Kenilworth is on the cards in the Spring. I know several forum members like exploring disused railway lines; there is also the option to join us for a walk between Berkswell and Kenilworth (Keilworth Greenway). We'll create a Doodle and post a thread nearer the time.

We are also aiming to do the South Tynedale Railway as this has recently been extended to Slaggyford. It is accessible by bus, but some of us plan to cycle along the rest of the former Alston branch from Haltwhistle.

We plan to do several more walks and cycle rides along disused railway lines, but no specific routes (other than those mentioned above) have been decided yet. We must go to South Wales and visit @Flamingo and do the "WAG Express" again at some point though! When we do that as a forum trip, we take up half the 1st class accommodation.
 

PeterY

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
1,363
At the moment it's difficult, for me, to make plans for the future but I do have booked in my diary, as a 60th birthday present to myself my first All Line Rover and yes 1st class, starting sometime in April. I'm starting on a Wednesday and finishing on a Tuesday. I will spend the night at home (Hemel Hempstead) on the Saturday/Sunday morning.

I've 3 months to work out an actual plan but aim to do as many new lines as possible including the Denton Flyer.

So I maybe looking for suggestions soon, to maximize the 1st class options. :idea::idea:
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
At the moment it's difficult, for me, to make plans for the future but I do have booked in my diary, as a 60th birthday present to myself my first All Line Rover and yes 1st class, starting sometime in April. I'm starting on a Wednesday and finishing on a Tuesday. I will spend the night at home (Hemel Hempstead) on the Saturday/Sunday morning.

I've 3 months to work out an actual plan but aim to do as many new lines as possible including the Denton Flyer.

So I maybe looking for suggestions soon, to maximize the 1st class options. :idea::idea:
Excellent. Will you be letting us know how it went?
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Plans for 2018, unlike previous years are going to be pretty fluid mainly due to commitments with (1) my bookselling business and (2) family. The only definite entries in the KJ diary so far run to

27 January - Thames Trumper tour on account of plenty of Code Red track
10 March - Valley of the Witch tour (Although there is a delicate matter in that funds first need to get into my bank account for onward transmission to UK Railtours!)
End of May - A few days on the rails while Mrs KJ is away with "The Girls"
Early July - Four day soiree to Scotland

Other trips that may feature are
  • Manchester - mopping up my last trams but suspect Lady Luck will not be on my side (she seems to have too cosy a relationship with Mr Kite!)
  • Nottingham & Sheffield - ditto
  • Seeing off more required passenger track so that would mean patronising the South Wales valleys and East Anglia
  • Any more Forgotten Tracks tour from UK Railtours which involve sizable chunks of "Code Red" track in my Bakers
  • Hopefully getting past the half-way mark with open shacks
 
Last edited:

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Plans:
A few railtours already booked (so shout if anybody else is doing them)
13/1 - The Severn Aggregator
27/1 - Thames Trumper Tour
10/2 - The Blue Boys Ribble Rouser Tour
10/3 - Valley of the Witch
17/3 - The Missing Link
7/4 - The Geordie-Go-Round

A couple more are on my maybe pile (plus waiting for the revised date for the Diamond Twenties tour)

Also a trip to Leeds at the end of January for a South Pennies Day Ranger, which will probably be a trip to Sheffield to try and get my first 399 into the book before something else currently undecided, a trip to Aberdeen in early January to revisit Forres [resited station]. Also a trip to Glasgow Queen Street behind a 86 on the diverted lowland sleeper.

Ambitions:
Keep on knocking down my reducing list of requirements on LU, plus mainline stuff [although at this point apart from some long term out of use units the only stuff I need is new & shiny]
Make a start on doing some preserved lines [probably more for the summer starting with local lines]
Some more bay platforms

I'm already booked on the Thames Trumper and am "slumming it" in First Class Dining. As soon as funds arrive in my bank account, I'll be booking on the Valley of the Witch even though one of the branches is dud. Again I'm aiming to be at the posh end of the train

Forres means new track as well as it is a completely different alignment to that previously used.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,822
Location
West of Andover
I'm already booked on the Thames Trumper and am "slumming it" in First Class Dining. As soon as funds arrive in my bank account, I'll be booking on the Valley of the Witch even though one of the branches is dud. Again I'm aiming to be at the posh end of the train

Forres means new track as well as it is a completely different alignment to that previously used.

It does, although the new passenger loop itself (via the 2nd platform) will have to wait until it sees more use than the booked one train a week on a Saturday morning

Fair enough for going dining class, it is something I wouldn't mind doing again.
 

james60059

Member
Joined
6 Jul 2006
Messages
874
Location
Hinckley
My plans for the year - provisionally anyway 8-)

No doubt another Rail and Sail (or 2) to Ireland to visit family, yes I could fly but to be honest, I quite like the ferry journey lol.

Make time for more haulage like an occasional West Mids day ranger or something like that, and visit different parts - Wales is on the list especially the Cardiff Valley Lines network.

Try and attend more gala's and open days (if there's any happening this year).
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,881
My plea to you all - forget about ticking off plastic tat and ENJOY THE THRASH!!!
 

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
I have absolutely nowt planned at all.
I keep saying year on year out I'm gonna do a freedom of Scotland but wether I do that or not is up for question. I have enough required for sight up there to make it worthwhile, especially with the 385s coming into service, a certain 156 still avoiding me, looks like i may have to hunt it down. Theres the EDs on the sleepers and Cats on the Fife turn for haulage to tempt me but I'm just not feeling it at the minute.

The 800s coming into service may tempt me to do a FoSW, there's a few GWR 150s needed and more than a fair few SWT 158 and 159s.

The 68s going on the TPE will certainly tempt me over the Pennines at some point, first loco hauled services for over 30yrs is too big an opportunity to miss and a very welcome sight it'll be too. Also gives me a chance to catch the remaining NH 142s and 150s and 323s I need.

GBRF tour sometime this year seems a possibility too and one of the big DIESEL galas for sure, with aim of riding behind another of the hydraulics, a hymek or a warship.

Nowt set in concrete but at the minute I'm not even in planning mode.
 

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Joined
11 Jan 2015
Messages
1,223
Great idea for tread;

At the moment 2018 should bring.

Gbrf 2018 railtour or All line rover

Penzance-london sleeper.

Norwich 37s, (Cumbria 37s seem unlikely due to distance from home)

A mainline steam railtour, perhaps Torbay express.

8 day in 15 freedom of Severn and Solent rover.

A few Devon day rovers following south west bound railtours.

Swanage diesel gala.

All WSR galas.
 

jnjkerbin

Member
Joined
25 Apr 2012
Messages
842
Location
Down south
After a poor year last year, my aim is to try and do a day on the trains roughly once a month. So far I'm planning to try and finish off the lines with a regular service in London zones 1-6 which should be next week, and then I've got tickets booked to do the Heart of Wales next month, so should be a decent start to the year with any luck. Also going to try and do at least one railtour this year, probably in the autumn.
 

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2012
Messages
2,131
Location
Rochdale
Plans so far:
Manchester Challenge 6/1/18
Trip to Peterborough 20/1/18 (for a quiz - return tickets £20 from Manchester too good to turn down!)
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,904
I don’t have any firm plans as yet. Often my work changes at quite short notice so I have to be fairly flexible. It means I rarely book advance tickets so have to make the most out of the trips I do take as they can be more expensive.
I didn’t do an ALR in 2017. That said I did do 2 in 2016, both 1st.

So a brief wish list.

- Another 7 day 1st Class ALR
- Penzance Sleeper (perhaps as part of it)
- Clear Scotland
- Clear lots of metro stuff like Tyne and Wear, the rest of Manchester, Glasgow etc.
- get plenty of HST action in before we see less of them around here.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top