Hi all,
I am planning a leisure trip in Europe, based around a visit to a steam tram museum in the Netherlands, and am trying to include as much other interesting transport as is sensible along the way. My rough plan so far is:
I have a few questions that I wonder if anyone could help me with please?:
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Ian
I am planning a leisure trip in Europe, based around a visit to a steam tram museum in the Netherlands, and am trying to include as much other interesting transport as is sensible along the way. My rough plan so far is:
- Ferry: Harwich -- Hoek van Holland
- Trains around the Netherlands
- Sleeper train: Amsterdam -- Copenhagen
- Train: Copenhagen -- Hamburg
(including train-on-ferry: Rødby -- Puttgarden) - Trains back to Hoorn in the Netherlands
- Visit Museumstoomtram in the Netherlands: Hoorn -- Enkhuizen -- Hoorn
- Trains and ferry back home
I have a few questions that I wonder if anyone could help me with please?:
- Am I right in thinking that any "Copenhagen -- Hamburg" train that bahn.co.uk shows as going through Rødby and Puttgarden will go on the ferry?
- I'd like to go on a (preferably fairly empty) double decker train at some point. Somewhere between Hamburg and Hoorn seems like the best bet. Is there a way of telling which trains will be double decker?
- I don't suppose there is some site that can tell me which European trains are likely to be packed, and which are likely to be quiet?
- Are there any other interesting transport possibilities I've missed? Any pitfalls to watch out for?
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Ian