NLC1072
Member
This is my first ever trip report to please me gentle!
First of all it was an early rise at 06:00 to get ready and get on my way, on exiting the house at 06:50 it was a cold cold morning! I got in the car and drove from Chelmsford to Hillingdon to pick up another member. I got to Hillingdon dead on time and picked up (sad to say) the only other taker on the trip!
I drove to the Severn Valley Railway with the other member and had much railway gossip to share, it was very insightful!
IMG_20150222_100220853_HDR[1]
We arrived at Kidderminster at 09:55 (to my exclamation "oh we're here already?!) ready to orientate ourselves at the station and purchase our tickets at the absolutely superb ticket office/booking hall area. It was in very good condition and it was striking how much effort and up keep had gone in to the station as a whole. We then boarded the 10:30 departure for Bridgnorth hauled by 43106 Ivatt Class 4.
IMG_20150222_100257120_HDR
Upon seating ourselves and awaiting departure with more railway chat, Manor class 7812 "Erlestoke Manor" pulls up in the sidings beside our carriage. It was waiting to take the next arrivals coaching stock back out after we had departed.
IMG_20150222_102610599_HDR
At 10:30 sharp we set off along the SVR, taking in the views, sights and smells.
IMG_20150222_110053636
Upon arriving at Bewdley station, we were impressed by the station furniture and especially the typical 1950's/1950's station props such as the old bike rested up on the fence and the milk containers, which all were also in brilliant up keep.
We decided to get off at Highly station to have a look around the museum, which was very good as well. It had lots of interesting information about the locos in there as well as a brief loco-biography of each. We decided to get food in the cafe up stairs... right at the time when they were switching from the breakfast menu to the lunch menu and had nothing hot out at all (for a whole hour they said!). So we got a sandwich each and I got some biscuits - and very nice they were too!
IMG_20150222_112346325
IMG_20150222_114549647
IMG_20150222_121548970_HDR
IMG_20150222_121644146
After we'd finished out lunch off we then went back to the platform and then hid away from the rain in the waiting room complete with open fire to catch the 12:24 service to Bridgnorth and to my surprise it was not steam hauled, it was their DMU class 108. I knew we'd see a DMU that day and I was happy enough to board as I like heritage DMUs. We were drawn to the drivers front window as we were curious how to he could see down the track well enough without a working window wiper - cue driver using a manual widow wiper to clear the rain, I'd never thought it could be manual - maybe I've taken electricity for granted?
IMG_20150222_121936721_HDR
IMG_20150222_125241866_HDR
We arrived at Bridgnorth and proceeded to the Bridgnorth Cliff Railway. The walk around was pleasant enough and the signage was good - I had tried to look for directions on my smart phone, then I actually looked up and saw the signs...
At the Cliff railway we purchased two tickets return (they don't sell a single) to the top and boarded the cliff railway car (a vintage bus really). We got off at the top and admired the view took some shots and then headed for the small shops and public houses around the area. I suggested we stop for a drink somewhere looked at the Shakespeare Inn, then thought otherwise and then looked across the road to the White Lion Inn.
IMG_20150222_130620763_HDR
IMG_20150222_130625794_HDR
IMG_20150222_130632665_HDR
IMG_20150222_130636308_HDR
The White Lion Inn was a beautiful pub, small, cosy and had a really warm log fire going on! The pub served a good choice of real ciders and real ales - I know that goes down well on this forum! I had a cheeky half and the other forum member had a pint.
IMG_20150222_133450999
We then set off back to Bridgnorth to catch the 14:05 back to Kidderminster, which was Battle of Britain class "Sir Keith Park" number 34053. Upon entering the ex GWR coaches I was impressed with the condition and loving care at which it had been restored - very clean.
IMG_20150222_135455576_HDR
IMG_20150222_143716653_HDR
IMG_20150222_143726899
We took 34053 all the way back to Kidderminster and once there we inspected the museum there which was full of interesting railway equipment and yet again more great explanations on the information cards on display.
IMG_20150222_152057897_HDR
We then departed the SVR, bound for Oxford - to pick up some items to be taken to London (which paid the rest of the diesel of our fair share divided by the 7 seats!). We drove through Oxford to get a look at the University and I must say it was a beautiful town. We picked up the items to be transported and made our way back to Hillingdon through some heavy traffic - although it wasn't ever stationary and didn't take too long to clear.
After dropping off the other member I proceeded to Islington via the A40 and the Euston Ring Road and drove past St Pancras, Kings Cross and Euston which were nice to see from a lovely warm car. I then took the road up to Islington to make the drop off and then made my way to the A12 back home!
All in all a great day with great company and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
SVR - I'm very impressed at the high quality of the experience and the effort to detail and care provided to the station buildings and props.
NLC1072
First of all it was an early rise at 06:00 to get ready and get on my way, on exiting the house at 06:50 it was a cold cold morning! I got in the car and drove from Chelmsford to Hillingdon to pick up another member. I got to Hillingdon dead on time and picked up (sad to say) the only other taker on the trip!
I drove to the Severn Valley Railway with the other member and had much railway gossip to share, it was very insightful!
IMG_20150222_100220853_HDR[1]We arrived at Kidderminster at 09:55 (to my exclamation "oh we're here already?!) ready to orientate ourselves at the station and purchase our tickets at the absolutely superb ticket office/booking hall area. It was in very good condition and it was striking how much effort and up keep had gone in to the station as a whole. We then boarded the 10:30 departure for Bridgnorth hauled by 43106 Ivatt Class 4.
IMG_20150222_100257120_HDRUpon seating ourselves and awaiting departure with more railway chat, Manor class 7812 "Erlestoke Manor" pulls up in the sidings beside our carriage. It was waiting to take the next arrivals coaching stock back out after we had departed.
IMG_20150222_102610599_HDRAt 10:30 sharp we set off along the SVR, taking in the views, sights and smells.
IMG_20150222_110053636Upon arriving at Bewdley station, we were impressed by the station furniture and especially the typical 1950's/1950's station props such as the old bike rested up on the fence and the milk containers, which all were also in brilliant up keep.
We decided to get off at Highly station to have a look around the museum, which was very good as well. It had lots of interesting information about the locos in there as well as a brief loco-biography of each. We decided to get food in the cafe up stairs... right at the time when they were switching from the breakfast menu to the lunch menu and had nothing hot out at all (for a whole hour they said!). So we got a sandwich each and I got some biscuits - and very nice they were too!
IMG_20150222_112346325
IMG_20150222_114549647
IMG_20150222_121548970_HDR
IMG_20150222_121644146After we'd finished out lunch off we then went back to the platform and then hid away from the rain in the waiting room complete with open fire to catch the 12:24 service to Bridgnorth and to my surprise it was not steam hauled, it was their DMU class 108. I knew we'd see a DMU that day and I was happy enough to board as I like heritage DMUs. We were drawn to the drivers front window as we were curious how to he could see down the track well enough without a working window wiper - cue driver using a manual widow wiper to clear the rain, I'd never thought it could be manual - maybe I've taken electricity for granted?
IMG_20150222_121936721_HDR
IMG_20150222_125241866_HDR We arrived at Bridgnorth and proceeded to the Bridgnorth Cliff Railway. The walk around was pleasant enough and the signage was good - I had tried to look for directions on my smart phone, then I actually looked up and saw the signs...
At the Cliff railway we purchased two tickets return (they don't sell a single) to the top and boarded the cliff railway car (a vintage bus really). We got off at the top and admired the view took some shots and then headed for the small shops and public houses around the area. I suggested we stop for a drink somewhere looked at the Shakespeare Inn, then thought otherwise and then looked across the road to the White Lion Inn.
IMG_20150222_130620763_HDR
IMG_20150222_130625794_HDR
IMG_20150222_130632665_HDR
IMG_20150222_130636308_HDR The White Lion Inn was a beautiful pub, small, cosy and had a really warm log fire going on! The pub served a good choice of real ciders and real ales - I know that goes down well on this forum! I had a cheeky half and the other forum member had a pint.
IMG_20150222_133450999We then set off back to Bridgnorth to catch the 14:05 back to Kidderminster, which was Battle of Britain class "Sir Keith Park" number 34053. Upon entering the ex GWR coaches I was impressed with the condition and loving care at which it had been restored - very clean.
IMG_20150222_135455576_HDR
IMG_20150222_143716653_HDR
IMG_20150222_143726899We took 34053 all the way back to Kidderminster and once there we inspected the museum there which was full of interesting railway equipment and yet again more great explanations on the information cards on display.
IMG_20150222_152057897_HDR We then departed the SVR, bound for Oxford - to pick up some items to be taken to London (which paid the rest of the diesel of our fair share divided by the 7 seats!). We drove through Oxford to get a look at the University and I must say it was a beautiful town. We picked up the items to be transported and made our way back to Hillingdon through some heavy traffic - although it wasn't ever stationary and didn't take too long to clear.
After dropping off the other member I proceeded to Islington via the A40 and the Euston Ring Road and drove past St Pancras, Kings Cross and Euston which were nice to see from a lovely warm car. I then took the road up to Islington to make the drop off and then made my way to the A12 back home!
All in all a great day with great company and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
SVR - I'm very impressed at the high quality of the experience and the effort to detail and care provided to the station buildings and props.
NLC1072
Last edited:
