• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trespassers - What would you have done?

You see trespassers from a passing train, what do you do?

  • Nothing

    Votes: 50 34.0%
  • Pull the cord/alarm

    Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Find the guard

    Votes: 66 44.9%
  • Other

    Votes: 23 15.6%

  • Total voters
    147
Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
The thread about trespassers on the line at Darlington brings to mind something that happened to me a while back and I was wondering what you would have done.

I was on a north-bound train which was slowing on approach to Darlington station and as I looked out the window I could see some kids mucking about line side (inside the fence). From their behaviour it seemed pretty clear that they were going to try and cross the tracks - they may well have been playing chicken.

I thought about what I could do - I considered pulling the cord or finding the guard but decided that by the time I did anything the kids would have disappeared and the job would've been stopped for nothing.

As it turned out, nobody got hit and everything was fine but it bothered me for a while after that one of them could have been injured or killed - would I be able to justify my doing nothing.

So, what would you have done? Tell you what, I'll add a poll...
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
Joined
3 May 2013
Messages
6,840
Probably call 999 if I thought there was an immediate danger.
 

Clansman

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2016
Messages
2,654
Location
Scotland
If I saw people acting stupid whilst trespassing, I wouldn't do anything other than maybe tweet the BTP or the main TOC who use that line. It's none of my business what they're up to and if they want to act like idiots then they can deal with the risk - unless it was kids, in which case I'd go out my way to notify the BTP.

If on the other hand it's someone acting suspiciously, or in a suicidal manner, then I'd notify the emergency services as soon as possible.
 
Last edited:

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,370
I've reported trespassers to the guard before. The thought of dialing 999 has never actually occured to me-though the trespassers I've seen have never been in immediate danger where they were.
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,902
In the situation you describe with kids, I would definitely notify the BTP.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
Text BTP on 61016.
That is a very handy service - at the time I didn't know about it (or it might have been shortly before it was introduced). I've just done what I should've done ages ago and added it to my contacts list.
 
Last edited:

WestRiding

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2012
Messages
1,014
Leave it to the train crew. Surely the driver would report via the GSMR if he/she thought it was worth reporting.
 

bearhugger

Member
Joined
17 Mar 2015
Messages
689
Location
Middlesbrough
I would tell the guard in the first instance or text the BTP. I'm sure the driver would use the appropriate procedures to contact the relevant authority, but I always remember talking to someone who worked in a 999 call centre that they would rather have lots of calls about the same incident rather than people assume that 'someone else has probably reported it' and not bother.
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,758
Location
Up North
I've noted trespassing kids near Norwood Junction (outside Dunston, not the London equivalent!) and told the guard as soon as I could. After we arrived at Newcastle he ended up reporting it.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
 

Be3G

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2012
Messages
1,599
Location
Chingford
That is a very handy service - at the time I didn't know about it (or it might have been shortly before it was introduced). I've just done what I should've done ages ago and added it to my contacts list.

Whilst you're at it, if you have a smartphone add their e-mail address too – 61016@btp.pnn.police.uk – which can be used if underground with WiFi but no phone service, and/or to send photos and videos.
 

PeterY

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
1,363
Yesterday I traveled to Walton on the Naze. Unbeknown to me Tornado was running as well. Normal services were delayed and cancelled due to trespassing. I got back to Liverpool street over an hour later than I'd planned.
 

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Joined
23 Mar 2013
Messages
6,490
Location
Powys
If I saw people acting stupid whilst trespassing, I wouldn't do anything other than maybe tweet the BTP or the main TOC who use that line. It's none of my business what they're up to and if they want to act like idiots then they can deal with the risk - unless it was kids, in which case I'd go out my way to notify the BTP.

If on the other hand it's someone acting suspiciously, or in a suicidal manner, then I'd notify the emergency services as soon as possible.

Why the TOC, when they have no control over the lines? They would then have to notify Network Rail and the BTP.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,357
Location
Bolton
I have reported it to the guard a couple of times. Pulling the cord on older stock is unlikely to help because all it will do is bring the train to a halt, with no way for you to raise the alarm about trespassers. Using the passcom, where fitted, will hopefully allow the driver to report the trespassers more quickly.

It's difficult though because how would you know if the driver noticed it or not?

If I cannot find the guard I would probably try tweeting or doing nothing. Texting BTP is a good idea if you are happy to pay for it.
 
Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
Whilst you're at it, if you have a smartphone add their e-mail address too – 61016@btp.pnn.police.uk – which can be used if underground with WiFi but no phone service, and/or to send photos and videos.
It's also not very obvious that you have to pay to text 61016; I have a fairly comprehensive package of unlimited texts and calls plus data and still had to pay a fee for every single text I sent them, so not sure what it costs on all the suppliers/tariffs, so this is definitely good advice to avoid paying the charges.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,357
Location
Bolton
I don't have to pay to text normally, but I would most definitely have to pay to text 61016.

The charge will depend on your network, it would likely be 6p.
 
Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
I don't have to pay to text normally, but I would most definitely have to pay to text 61016.

Thanks - I didn't know that. All of my texts are free. I assumed that because i had didn't pay ( and know little about phones) it must be standard.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,129
Location
Redcar
Thanks - I didn't know that. All of my texts are free. I assumed that because i had didn't pay ( and know little about phones) it must be standard.

I wouldn't be so sure that you wouldn't have to pay. I have unlimited texts as part of my contract but some numbers still incur a charge to text (CrossCountry's ten minute reservation for example is not free for me). Now that might be a vagary of my contract but I wouldn't be surprised if it was fairly widespread.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,959
Location
UK
I'd go with using the communication cord (on newer stock only) to talk to the driver, who can contact the signaller and get trains cautioned and BTP called.

I am not sure the response time for texting BTP, although that would certainly be a good second option (or just calling 999 as i would say this was an emergency).

If it could save a life, or a career (driver hitting a person and unable to work again) I'd gladly pay for the text.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
I wouldn't be so sure that you wouldn't have to pay. I have unlimited texts as part of my contract but some numbers still incur a charge to text (CrossCountry's ten minute reservation for example is not free for me). Now that might be a vagary of my contract but I wouldn't be surprised if it was fairly widespread.

I am pay and go on very old ( and very advantageous) terms . I have checked my online charges bill and there is no charge levied for the BTP text i made a few weeks ago. Perhaps my terms predate these numbers? Odd. It shows, for instance, the football chairman game i bought around the same time.

Anyway, even if you do have to pay surely it is worth the charge to potentially stop someone getting squished by a train.
 
Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,357
Location
Bolton
I wouldn't be so sure that you wouldn't have to pay. I have unlimited texts as part of my contract but some numbers still incur a charge to text (CrossCountry's ten minute reservation for example is not free for me). Now that might be a vagary of my contract but I wouldn't be surprised if it was fairly widespread.

It's not - I have free unlimited texts too and I would have to pay to send texts to the BTP number or to make a Ten Minute Reservation.
 

Carntyne

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2015
Messages
1,026
I'd be telling the Guard or contacting the Control to let them know in the first instance, I am staff though.
 

PeterC

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
4,786
The only occasion where I have found this necessary (three small children next to the track) was before mobile phones in non corridor stock. I informed a member of staff at the next station, which was only a minute away.

These days I would dial 999 if there was an immediate danger or 101 if there wasn't.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,455
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
I'd go with using the communication cord (on newer stock only) to talk to the driver, who can contact the signaller and get trains cautioned and BTP called.

I am not sure the response time for texting BTP, although that would certainly be a good second option (or just calling 999 as i would say this was an emergency).

If it could save a life, or a career (driver hitting a person and unable to work again) I'd gladly pay for the text.

I'm not so sure the passcom is such a good idea. Not really worth bringing the train to a stand, whilst using the passcom where provided represents a distraction the driver could perhaps do without - he may well have seen the trespass and be in the process of reporting it, now whilst on the radio he has the passcom going off. None of this is good if the distraction results in some kind of operating incident. There will also be a delay whilst the device is reset - and let's hope it resets with no problems which isn't always a given.

There's no right or wrong answer to the origina question. Personally I voted do nothing, generallu from a passenger point of view I'd leave it to staff to deal with as it's not really my business. Depends on what's going on though. I'd be more likely to take some form of action if I thought there was a risk to the railway, but for example I'd probably not be fussed about a photographer having encroached slightly over a wire fence. A few months ago I was on a 317 heading into London when the FS was coming the other way - if the cord had been pulled every time a trespasser was passed we'd have never got to London! Perhaps in th right circumstances I might have a word with the driver once the train is at the next station, giving the driver the option of what he thinks is best to do - but only really feasible if near the front of the train.
 
Last edited:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Joined
18 Mar 2014
Messages
5,491
If 999 was called would non-BTP coppers be allowed trackside to deal with it or would the normal coppers have to await the arrival of either BTP coppers or NR staff before they could go trackside (by which time the tresspasser(s) might well have scarperd)?
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,455
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
If 999 was called would non-BTP coppers be allowed trackside to deal with it or would the normal coppers have to await the arrival of either BTP coppers or NR staff before they could go trackside (by which time the tresspasser(s) might well have scarperd)?

In my experience police have a habit of simply doing what they want. BTP are generally more measured, although they can be excitable at certain times.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top