• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travels on TfW: Not going smoothly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markdvdman

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2011
Messages
505
Location
Merthyr Tydfil / Gorslas
My brother told me his friend's son informed a Guard that he wanted to go to Cardiff to meet a friend and was refused travel!

Today, I left Cadoxton at 3:11pm on the Rhymney train (formed of 2x153s and a couple of Pacers)

I then caught a GWR HST from Cardiff to Swansea, which was lovely.

Then the crowning glory - the Manchester Piccadilly to Milford Haven service, which was late at Swansea.

I was there and noticing the number of passengers building up, but only a two-car Class 150 turned up.

The train was delayed due to a woman and her 3 children boarding the wrong train; she was going to Pembroke Dock and missed the last train which was 16:31 from Carmarthen.

The point is I reckon TFW are advocating "essential" journeys only as they have not got enough rolling stock!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
My brother told me his friend's son informed a Guard that he wanted to go to Cardiff to meet a friend and was refused travel!

Today, I left Cadoxton at 3:11pm on the Rhymney train (formed of 2x153s and a couple of Pacers)

I then caught a GWR HST from Cardiff to Swansea, which was lovely.

Then the crowning glory - the Manchester Piccadilly to Milford Haven service, which was late at Swansea.

I was there and noticing the number of passengers building up, but only a two-car Class 150 turned up.

The train was delayed due to a woman and her 3 children boarding the wrong train; she was going to Pembroke Dock and missed the last train which was 16:31 from Carmarthen.

The point is I reckon TFW are advocating "essential" journeys only as they have not got enough rolling stock!


There is already a thread here:-


TFW are running as few trains as possible and are sticking to what is Welsh Government advice that trains should be used for essential travel and key workers only. Rolling stock is not the issue although trains have reduced capacity to enable social distancing. This is a Welsh stance only and some English TOCs are welcoming people back.
 

Markdvdman

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2011
Messages
505
Location
Merthyr Tydfil / Gorslas
Hi Philipe maybe so but rolling stock issues are a nightmare. The 153s that have been PRM'd have no usb ports - well in general at least which is way beyond poor!!! Even the 150s have them and a power point!

However, putting 2 car 150s on a peak time Manchester to Milford Haven route is unforgivable!!!

TFW are doing what the Welsh governnment ask but the rolling stock issue is awful!!! Still using Pacers - they stated Pacers would not be used alone yet I got on a 4 car pacer last week and have seen the odd 2 car variant in Cardiff Central! I have to change at cardiff to go to work every day when in normal times the train is direct. I get there are issues with what is going on but it seems like the new timetable is desigend by the Welsh Government not TFW!!!
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
Hi Philipe maybe so but rolling stock issues are a nightmare. The 153s that have been PRM'd have no usb ports - well in general at least which is way beyond poor!!! Even the 150s have them and a power point!

However, putting 2 car 150s on a peak time Manchester to Milford Haven route is unforgivable!!!

TFW are doing what the Welsh governnment ask but the rolling stock issue is awful!!! Still using Pacers - they stated Pacers would not be used alone yet I got on a 4 car pacer last week and have seen the odd 2 car variant in Cardiff Central! I have to change at cardiff to go to work every day when in normal times the train is direct. I get there are issues with what is going on but it seems like the new timetable is desigend by the Welsh Government not TFW!!!

A 2 Car 150 wouldn't have worked it if there had been something better on the day and Pacers are still working because of the late delivery of the 769s.
 

Vespa

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2019
Messages
1,733
Location
Merseyside
I noticed a TFW guard at Newton getting out on the platform and checking along the carriage to see how many seats are free.
I presume he is trying to control capacity.

I guess the OP fell victim to that by volunteering compromising information.
 

Markdvdman

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2011
Messages
505
Location
Merthyr Tydfil / Gorslas
A 2 Car 150 wouldn't have worked it if there had been something better on the day and Pacers are still working because of the late delivery of the 769s.

I know that Philipe and the 769 delivery has been a disaster. They will only be used on the Rhymney line anyway! The point is this Covid 19 situation has given TFW leeway and has been good for them if you know what I mean!
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
I noticed a TFW guard at Newton getting out on the platform and checking along the carriage to see how many seats are free.
I presume he is trying to control capacity.

I guess the OP fell victim to that by volunteering compromising information.
Based on information I have received privately, I think the OP's brother's friend's son may have a case for discrimination and I have encouraged them to complain.
 

Vespa

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2019
Messages
1,733
Location
Merseyside
Based on information I have received privately, I think the OP's brother's friend's son may have a case for discrimination and I have encouraged them to complain.

Gotcha, I would be interested in the outcome.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top