I haven't done one of these in a while, but thought for my recent trip I would.
I decided to take another trip round West Yorkshire last Saturday, and try and complete some areas I had been to before.
Planning was a tad thin on the ground, with odd thoughts in the days leading up to it (essentially, a lot of planning was focused round going to Pontefract Baghill!). Despite the planning, the actual plan changed on the day anyway to make better use of time.
Having bought the ticket (WYPTE Train Rover at £6.20) the day before, due to boarding the next day at an unstaffed station, I headed out to catch the 09:43 off Mirfield, towards Wakefield. Got something of a surprise that the announcements here sound like they belong down south...not the Phil Sayer I am used to!
Delayed by the Leeds bound stopper in front, 155347 turned up on the Grand Tour service a couple of minutes down. The journey was uneventful and we arrived on time at Kirkgate, where I left the service for a half hour wait (no, I wasn't looking forward to it either!) for the next leg, towards Knottingley (I could have probably squeezed in going to Westgate and taking the FCB, but decided not to risk it)
Kirkgate was actually looking OK, helped by a bit of sun and the ongoing work there - even got the courage to step outside the station for a while, where the last time a load of youths were hanging about!
The time passed fairly quickly, with a few more comings and goings, with the 142066 turning up from the inbound working about 15 minutes prior to departure, the driver and guard having a chat stood in the sun before the return.
The 10:31 to Knottingley was locked up on time...or was it. Sat at the front of the train, there was something of a surprise when the guard walked down the platform and gave the left door a shove, followed by the right. The left was fine but the right one flew open, before shutting again. It seems the front coach hadn't got interlock, and still hadn't. Driver summoned and a bit of fiddling about later, the bolt finally went in and we were on our way (not leaving the guard behind unlike I have happening on Pacers before!)
As is to be expected, the journey was a bit bouncy but arrival at Knottingley was on time, and was the first new track for the day (technically just the bit between Knottingley and the junction, as I did as far as the junction to Doncaster on an EC diversion a few months ago) and a new station I hadn't been through.
There was to be 15 or so minutes before the same unit formed the 11:16 return working to Leeds, but with a few sheds around, there were a couple of things to watch in the meantime, stood on the platform in the sun. Leaving Knottingley on time, a bit busier than the inbound working, we headed towards Monkhill. On arrival the platform was barely visible for people...I should have probably checked first to see if Leeds were playing at Elland Road! Coupled with the Glasshoughton shoppers, the 2 car train was packed for most of the jouney to Leeds, and I was next to a fully operational radiator
Arrival in Leeds was welcome, as my leg was beginning to roast a bit, and I had time for an infill move before heading for Pontefract. I had been checking departures and having decided a +2 to a Skipton train wasn't possible, a +8 to an Ilkley should be OK. How wrong I was! Thanks to a very busy platform 17 and being stuck behind a 158, it took me 8 minutes to get to the bridge! I was in luck though, and a 322 was working the 12:10 to Skipton (unusual for a Saturday), so a quick trip to Shipley was in order, there on 322485 and returning on a busy 12:33 service on 150225.
Arriving well ahead of time, I now headed to a much quieter platform 17 to take the same route back towards Knottingley, this time to alight at Pontefract Monkhill, taking 144016. On arrival at Monkhill and armed with a map I printed the night before, I headed across town to find Baghill. Not quite making it in the 8 minutes bb21 and gnolife managed it in on the challenge last year, I made it in a more leisurely 20 minutes, only getting slightly lost en-route and being rescued by GPS on my phone.
I now had 20 minutes to kill, and seemed to be completely alone except for a couple of learner drivers, who soon disappeared. Wondering around the station taking a few pictures, I noticed the subway, which I was pretty thankful I didn't need to use, as I was heading towards York. To my surprise, no-one else showed up and I was still alone when 144006 showed up, boarding at the local door up a huge step (though apparently the 150's are even worse so the guard said), whilst no-one left the service.
Having purchased a return ticket to my destination for this service (£4.60 with YP) we headed on through Sherburn-in-Elmet (with its level crossing that isn't) and Church Fenton (most riduclously oversized station for its service level!) I left (again on my own) at the little called at station of Ulleskelf, where 3 people also boarded. Left on my own, I had a wander round and up the ramps (they built them so I guess someone should use them!). I had 35 mins here, most of which was passed with watching passing services (including an ECS 47 hauled charter) and reading the rather sparse timetables. Aside from visiting a station that doesn't get much service, I had changed here as I had noticed the change at York to the return was short and on different platforms. So it came as no surprise that 142079 rolled round into view rather than the same 144, but what was a surprise was to find it was the same crew! I was again the only person to board and no-one left and we headed back towards Pontefract Baghill. This time I was going to Moorthorpe but we had a long wait at Baghill as we were ahead of time - the only people to alight/board the service were the driver and guard (and thus, I was the only person to use the station at all on Saturday afternoon!)
I'd had a slight concern about the +3 connection at Moorthorpe but I needn't have as we not only arrived early, but arrived 5 minutes early! Moorthorpe at this point was bathed in sun and the whole place looked rather attractive (though I am told it hasn't always been this way). The extra time gave rise to a quick photo opportunity before the Sheffield service left , at which point the "on time" 15:53 service to Leeds didn't show until 15:58 (so the ex +3 really wasn't a problem as it had become a +13!) The service was formed of the Pacer Pioneer, 142001, still in FGW interior colour scheme and showing how bad some of the Northern units actually are (I last had this unit in Salford on the GMPTE challenge) and we crawled towards Fitzwilliam. Arriving at not much quicker than walking pace, I was starting to wonder if the unit had developed a fault and that we were losing yet more time. To my surprise though, we were now 3 minutes EARLY!
Given this, arrival at Westgate was now prompt and I bailed to take the FCB (that I hadn't used earlier) across to Kirkgate again, a decision I almost rued when we sat at the bus station for 15 minutes! Thankfully we arrived still with 5 minutes to spare in time for 144012 to form the 16:50 service to Leeds via Castleford (not the quickest way to get to Leeds, but new track nonetheless). This was now my 3rd time of the day passing through Castleford and Woodlesford and heading past Midland Road depot so it was starting to get a bit samey! Midland Road depot had less of interest than last time I passed last Christmas, with the only loco I could make out being 70016, with another 70 behind it (neither on fire!) and a few 66's dotted around the place as well.
I was wanting to try and take the Doncaster stopper next, but it was a +55 connection, so time for yet another infill move. This time, Menston was decided on with 333014 working the 17:32 service to Ilkley and 333015 working the 17:51 return, exhibiting the typical "The next station is Leeds. This train terminates here" affair whilst stood at Guiseley :roll:
I had been hoping for a 321/9 for the Donny turn, as I have still not been on a Northern 321, but given they only have 3 of them, it wasn't a huge surprise that 322484 turned up on the 18:20 working. A new unit at least, though. The journey was uneventful and arrival was prompt. Given my planned return journey was the 18:47 XC service was originating in Plymouth and running to Edinburgh, I was hoping it may be a HST, but it was 221125. Unusually for a Voyager, there were plenty of seats available and began to plan my last move of the day.
The 19:13 stopper to Huddersfield seemed the logical move, but given the thought of another Pacer crawling on a line I travel on regularly and having not used a TPE yet during the day, I looked for alternatives. Thus, the last move turned into the last moves with the 19:08 TPE servide towards Liverpool, running express between Leeds and Huddersfield formed of 185126 and 185137 followed by the 19:31 Leeds stopper formed of 153301 and 153332 (aka a 155!) arriving back only a minute later than the 19:13 stopper from Leeds (which incidentally turned out to be a 158, not never mind)
So there we have it, another good day out and about, and after a slow start, actually covered a fair area (albeit quite bitty really) - the weather also helping towards this.
It also means that, as far as I am aware, I have now covered every passenger formation in West Yorkshire PTE, with the exception of Kirkgate - Darton and called at every station (not getting off but being on a stopping service) in the area apart from Darton, which I hope to do soon
I decided to take another trip round West Yorkshire last Saturday, and try and complete some areas I had been to before.
Planning was a tad thin on the ground, with odd thoughts in the days leading up to it (essentially, a lot of planning was focused round going to Pontefract Baghill!). Despite the planning, the actual plan changed on the day anyway to make better use of time.
Having bought the ticket (WYPTE Train Rover at £6.20) the day before, due to boarding the next day at an unstaffed station, I headed out to catch the 09:43 off Mirfield, towards Wakefield. Got something of a surprise that the announcements here sound like they belong down south...not the Phil Sayer I am used to!
Delayed by the Leeds bound stopper in front, 155347 turned up on the Grand Tour service a couple of minutes down. The journey was uneventful and we arrived on time at Kirkgate, where I left the service for a half hour wait (no, I wasn't looking forward to it either!) for the next leg, towards Knottingley (I could have probably squeezed in going to Westgate and taking the FCB, but decided not to risk it)
Kirkgate was actually looking OK, helped by a bit of sun and the ongoing work there - even got the courage to step outside the station for a while, where the last time a load of youths were hanging about!
The time passed fairly quickly, with a few more comings and goings, with the 142066 turning up from the inbound working about 15 minutes prior to departure, the driver and guard having a chat stood in the sun before the return.
The 10:31 to Knottingley was locked up on time...or was it. Sat at the front of the train, there was something of a surprise when the guard walked down the platform and gave the left door a shove, followed by the right. The left was fine but the right one flew open, before shutting again. It seems the front coach hadn't got interlock, and still hadn't. Driver summoned and a bit of fiddling about later, the bolt finally went in and we were on our way (not leaving the guard behind unlike I have happening on Pacers before!)
As is to be expected, the journey was a bit bouncy but arrival at Knottingley was on time, and was the first new track for the day (technically just the bit between Knottingley and the junction, as I did as far as the junction to Doncaster on an EC diversion a few months ago) and a new station I hadn't been through.
There was to be 15 or so minutes before the same unit formed the 11:16 return working to Leeds, but with a few sheds around, there were a couple of things to watch in the meantime, stood on the platform in the sun. Leaving Knottingley on time, a bit busier than the inbound working, we headed towards Monkhill. On arrival the platform was barely visible for people...I should have probably checked first to see if Leeds were playing at Elland Road! Coupled with the Glasshoughton shoppers, the 2 car train was packed for most of the jouney to Leeds, and I was next to a fully operational radiator
Arrival in Leeds was welcome, as my leg was beginning to roast a bit, and I had time for an infill move before heading for Pontefract. I had been checking departures and having decided a +2 to a Skipton train wasn't possible, a +8 to an Ilkley should be OK. How wrong I was! Thanks to a very busy platform 17 and being stuck behind a 158, it took me 8 minutes to get to the bridge! I was in luck though, and a 322 was working the 12:10 to Skipton (unusual for a Saturday), so a quick trip to Shipley was in order, there on 322485 and returning on a busy 12:33 service on 150225.
Arriving well ahead of time, I now headed to a much quieter platform 17 to take the same route back towards Knottingley, this time to alight at Pontefract Monkhill, taking 144016. On arrival at Monkhill and armed with a map I printed the night before, I headed across town to find Baghill. Not quite making it in the 8 minutes bb21 and gnolife managed it in on the challenge last year, I made it in a more leisurely 20 minutes, only getting slightly lost en-route and being rescued by GPS on my phone.
I now had 20 minutes to kill, and seemed to be completely alone except for a couple of learner drivers, who soon disappeared. Wondering around the station taking a few pictures, I noticed the subway, which I was pretty thankful I didn't need to use, as I was heading towards York. To my surprise, no-one else showed up and I was still alone when 144006 showed up, boarding at the local door up a huge step (though apparently the 150's are even worse so the guard said), whilst no-one left the service.
Having purchased a return ticket to my destination for this service (£4.60 with YP) we headed on through Sherburn-in-Elmet (with its level crossing that isn't) and Church Fenton (most riduclously oversized station for its service level!) I left (again on my own) at the little called at station of Ulleskelf, where 3 people also boarded. Left on my own, I had a wander round and up the ramps (they built them so I guess someone should use them!). I had 35 mins here, most of which was passed with watching passing services (including an ECS 47 hauled charter) and reading the rather sparse timetables. Aside from visiting a station that doesn't get much service, I had changed here as I had noticed the change at York to the return was short and on different platforms. So it came as no surprise that 142079 rolled round into view rather than the same 144, but what was a surprise was to find it was the same crew! I was again the only person to board and no-one left and we headed back towards Pontefract Baghill. This time I was going to Moorthorpe but we had a long wait at Baghill as we were ahead of time - the only people to alight/board the service were the driver and guard (and thus, I was the only person to use the station at all on Saturday afternoon!)
I'd had a slight concern about the +3 connection at Moorthorpe but I needn't have as we not only arrived early, but arrived 5 minutes early! Moorthorpe at this point was bathed in sun and the whole place looked rather attractive (though I am told it hasn't always been this way). The extra time gave rise to a quick photo opportunity before the Sheffield service left , at which point the "on time" 15:53 service to Leeds didn't show until 15:58 (so the ex +3 really wasn't a problem as it had become a +13!) The service was formed of the Pacer Pioneer, 142001, still in FGW interior colour scheme and showing how bad some of the Northern units actually are (I last had this unit in Salford on the GMPTE challenge) and we crawled towards Fitzwilliam. Arriving at not much quicker than walking pace, I was starting to wonder if the unit had developed a fault and that we were losing yet more time. To my surprise though, we were now 3 minutes EARLY!
Given this, arrival at Westgate was now prompt and I bailed to take the FCB (that I hadn't used earlier) across to Kirkgate again, a decision I almost rued when we sat at the bus station for 15 minutes! Thankfully we arrived still with 5 minutes to spare in time for 144012 to form the 16:50 service to Leeds via Castleford (not the quickest way to get to Leeds, but new track nonetheless). This was now my 3rd time of the day passing through Castleford and Woodlesford and heading past Midland Road depot so it was starting to get a bit samey! Midland Road depot had less of interest than last time I passed last Christmas, with the only loco I could make out being 70016, with another 70 behind it (neither on fire!) and a few 66's dotted around the place as well.
I was wanting to try and take the Doncaster stopper next, but it was a +55 connection, so time for yet another infill move. This time, Menston was decided on with 333014 working the 17:32 service to Ilkley and 333015 working the 17:51 return, exhibiting the typical "The next station is Leeds. This train terminates here" affair whilst stood at Guiseley :roll:
I had been hoping for a 321/9 for the Donny turn, as I have still not been on a Northern 321, but given they only have 3 of them, it wasn't a huge surprise that 322484 turned up on the 18:20 working. A new unit at least, though. The journey was uneventful and arrival was prompt. Given my planned return journey was the 18:47 XC service was originating in Plymouth and running to Edinburgh, I was hoping it may be a HST, but it was 221125. Unusually for a Voyager, there were plenty of seats available and began to plan my last move of the day.
The 19:13 stopper to Huddersfield seemed the logical move, but given the thought of another Pacer crawling on a line I travel on regularly and having not used a TPE yet during the day, I looked for alternatives. Thus, the last move turned into the last moves with the 19:08 TPE servide towards Liverpool, running express between Leeds and Huddersfield formed of 185126 and 185137 followed by the 19:31 Leeds stopper formed of 153301 and 153332 (aka a 155!) arriving back only a minute later than the 19:13 stopper from Leeds (which incidentally turned out to be a 158, not never mind)
So there we have it, another good day out and about, and after a slow start, actually covered a fair area (albeit quite bitty really) - the weather also helping towards this.
It also means that, as far as I am aware, I have now covered every passenger formation in West Yorkshire PTE, with the exception of Kirkgate - Darton and called at every station (not getting off but being on a stopping service) in the area apart from Darton, which I hope to do soon
