• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling without a rail card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rante ta

New Member
Joined
23 Mar 2018
Messages
1
About 2 weeks ago I was travelling without a railcard I told the inspector that I had a railcard but had left it , so she told me to write my details down and gave me a slip with gtr.prosecution email to send a picture of my railcard within 2 weeks . That was all she then gave me back my travel card to continue my journey, however I dont have an updated one mine has expired and I ordered a new one after that train journey. What do I do?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

father_jack

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2010
Messages
1,557
What do I do?
Sorry to sound harsh, but learn not to fib.

Best thing to do now is to reply to the email saying when you checked your railcard at home it was out of date. Enclose a picture of it. You could send a picture of the new one too and it might help get you off. Whatever you do, don't do nothing.
 

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
Write a letter explaining that your railcard had in fact expired, and you had unfortunately neglected to notice this. Make sure you mention that this was your first journey for some time, hence you only just realising, otherwise suspicions will be aroused that you might have become a regular offender since it expired (if you were on the return portion of a return ticket, you'll need to word it very carefully!). Enclose a cheque for the fare for your journey, plus a reasonable sum, perhaps £50 or so if you're on a budget, more if you can afford it, to cover their 'admin' fees. Train Operating Companies tend to prefer three figure sums in these situations, but make a sensible assessment based on the fare and what you can afford. Do keep in mind that prosecution is a realistic option however, so don't take the mickey. What was the value of your original, discounted ticket? If it was pricey, you can probably get away with offering them just the difference between the original railcard discounted ticket that you had bought, and the full undiscounted fare, if this is a fairly significant amount. However, if we're talking a local journey of a few quid, I would suggest giving the full fare to assist in raising some goodwill.
Also include details of your replacement railcard order, explaining that you purchased it at the first opportunity having realised that your existing one had expired. And then hope they're feeling sympathetic!

What I very definitely wouldn't do is just ignore it, because it's very unlikely that that they'll forget about it. By being proactive and approaching them first, you'll have made a very sensible move.

There will be some very good advice along soon, plenty here who know the tickets and prosecutions business very well indeed.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top