• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling with expired railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybantam

New Member
Joined
6 Nov 2024
Messages
1
Location
Brighton
I honestly forgot to renew my railcard and got asked for it on a train journey the other day. Luckily, I didn’t have the app downloaded and didn’t know it had expired. So he said he couldn’t wait for me to download it so he just said ‘I’l take your details and fine you for forgetting your railcard and you can appeal it don’t worry’. He didn’t say anything about investigating me or anything. When I later realised it had actually expired I obviously just paid the fine for forgetting it. What I’m worried about is them digging into my history because I’ve done like 15 journeys since it expired. But because he fined me there and then with a penalty fare and I paid it online later that day is it possible that’s the end of the matter? I have since bought a new railcard and have learnt my lesson.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,990
Location
Airedale
If you paid a Penalty Fare (£100 plus ticket price, reduced by £50 because you paid immediately) then that should be the end of it.

If you get a letter asking you to upload details of your railcard, please come back for advice. As you may know from this forum, it is very common for inspectors not to issue a PF but to take details for investigation.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top