• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling with a bike on GWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

karo

Member
Joined
26 May 2023
Messages
18
Location
Weston super mare
Hiya - was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm planning on travelling from Oxford to Bristol Parkway on a Saturday in June with my big 29er mountain bike, and am wondering if there is a non-painful way to do this (note that when I make this trip, the line between Oxford and Didcot should be open - if not I could just cycle to didcot and get the train from there, or go some horrible way up to worcester then back down to bristol). I know that the cycle spaces on the GWR IETs are particularly awful - is there some convoluted route that avoids these, or am I just gonna have to try and wedge it in there and hope for the best (and if so, when would the trains be likely to be less busy)? Cheers.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

karo

Member
Joined
26 May 2023
Messages
18
Location
Weston super mare
There's a small number of trains that are operated by 387s and so bike accommodation is a bit more free-form - on Saturdays, the 08.55, 12.56 and 15.55 from Didcot: https://www.brtimes.com/!board?stn=DID&filt=BPW&date=20230527 (note the "EMU (110mph)" line)

Otherwise it's an IET, even if you go via Worcester.
Ah great thank you! I knew there were some that weren't IETs between London and South Wales but I couldn't remember whether they were 158s or 387s, and didn't know whether they still ran them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top