• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling to London via Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

gswindale

Member
Joined
1 Jun 2010
Messages
1,030
Hi,

I asked this question a couple of years ago; however my routing has changed slightly.

I have an afternoon meeting in Farringdon in a week or so's time.

My plan is to get the train from Bracknell to Winnersh Triangle arriving at 08:32 (free shuttle bus to Thames Valley Park).

I then plan to get the shuttle bus into town to catch a train from Reading to Paddington and get the Circle/District line to Farringdon.

Following the meeting; I would ideally like to travel onto Waterloo to get the direct train back to Bracknell.

I believe that the following ticket would be valid:
http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=BCE&dest=ZWA&grpd=0035&tkt=ODT

but would appreciate confirmation as to whether I can use this on my initial leg or not or if I would have trouble with it at Reading?

If not; then could I use a single from Bracknell to Winnersh Triangle in conjunction with a Travelcard from Reading to return to Bracknell via Waterloo?

Many Thanks in Advance!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

leymoo

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2014
Messages
29
NRE thinks your ticket is fine, and the routeing guide seems happy with going via Reading on that particular ticket.

I did this route frequently around 15-20 years ago but in those days the ticket would specify Route: Reading. The ticket office would usually sell the correct ticket if you explained you were going via Reading.
 

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
I did this route frequently around 15-20 years ago but in those days the ticket would specify Route: Reading.
Travelcards from Bracknell are now routed "Any Permitted" or "Via Staines". The more expensive "Any Permitted" ticket is valid via Reading.
 

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Joined
16 Apr 2010
Messages
4,235
Location
Reading
If the ticket office is being co-operative and you explain that you're going out via Reading but coming back direct from Waterloo, as far as I can see you should be able to buy the £22.90 "VIA STAINES" Travelcard and immediately get a change-of-route excess for the outward portion to "ANY PERMITTED", which should cost you half the difference in price, i.e. £22.90 + (£26.10 - £22.90) / 2 = £24.50. You'll probably also need to explain that you're stopping off in Reading for a while before you head on to London, hence the Off-Peak Travelcard being adequate for your needs.
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
As Indigo2 alludes to, you're more likely to have trouble with the barriers at Bracknell due to it being an Off Peak ticket. You should have no trouble if you explain your plans (perhaps just say you're breaking your journey at Reading to keep it simple!), but it would be wise to allow a little extra time for your train.

Reading should present no problem - as said above, the Any Permitted fare is intended for use via Reading.

If you have a Railcard (and living in the SE a Network Railcard is worthwhile for most people who travel by train even occasionally), then it would be cheaper to buy a Bracknell-Winnersh Triangle Anytime Day Single (£4.10), plus an Off Peak Day Travelcard from Reading (£15.05 with Railcard).
 
Last edited:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,479
Location
London
If the ticket office is being co-operative and you explain that you're going out via Reading but coming back direct from Waterloo, as far as I can see you should be able to buy the £22.90 "VIA STAINES" Travelcard and immediately get a change-of-route excess for the outward portion to "ANY PERMITTED", which should cost you half the difference in price, i.e. £22.90 + (£26.10 - £22.90) / 2 = £24.50. You'll probably also need to explain that you're stopping off in Reading for a while before you head on to London, hence the Off-Peak Travelcard being adequate for your needs.
The one flaw with that suggestion is that you can't excess a Travelcard, except to work around a time restriction, and even then it has to be fudged.

Having said that, I'm not at work at the moment, so I can't quote chapter and verse from KnowledgeBase.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top