• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling On Every Underground/Overground/Elizabeth Line: Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorcerer

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2022
Messages
2,203
Location
Liverpool
First time starting a thread in the Trip Planning section of the forums. Anyway, to cut to the chase, me and a friend are planning to travel to London next month for a challenge. Both starting and ending at Euston station, we want to travel on every Underground and Overground line along with the Elizabeth Line. However the catch to this will be that we are not allowing ourselves to use each line more than once or double-back on ourselves, and we are planning to try and attempt this challenge within the space of seven hours from nine to four avoiding the rush hour. Walking and using other forms of public transport is allowed.

Now I have asked ChatGPT if this is possible, and apparently with careful planning and making maximum use of interchange stations it should be possible to do this challenge. We will meeting up to do some proper planning tomorrow, however I also wanted to get any possible advice or words of wisdom from anyone on the forums since this is usually my go-to site for all the best railway information. So, is this challenge of mine possible? If so, do you have any tips or tricks that might help us in getting it done, and do you also have any other suggestions that might make it more interesting or fun to do?

I look forward to hearing what you all have to say!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,708
Location
Hope Valley
I presume that you mean ‘a bit of…’ every line? (Yes, I know that things like the Waterloo and City or Romford-Upminster would probably be done in full.)
 

Sorcerer

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2022
Messages
2,203
Location
Liverpool
I presume that you mean ‘a bit of…’ every line? (Yes, I know that things like the Waterloo and City or Romford-Upminster would probably be done in full.)
Yes indeed. Travelling the entire lengths would need a lot more than seven hours based on planning we did today which actually let us fit in some of the DLR and Thameslink but at the cost of not using every Overground line (we only use it once).
 

steamybrian

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
2,003
Location
Kent
I wonder in how many days are you planning to do this if only travelling between 0900-1600hrs.
Some lines have only a limited service running only outside the above times some examples are-
Wandsworth Road- Battersea Park
Rickmansworth- Croxley
Earls Court- Kensington Olympia
 

zero

Established Member
Joined
3 Apr 2011
Messages
1,614
As DG was able to finish the tube lines in less than an hour, I imagine that it should be easily possible to add in Crossrail, DLR and overground in 7 hours.

I would say the "PSUL" stuff just counts as Windrush / Met / District.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
I had mused on something like this earlier this year. The sort of rules I would work to are:
Using an outboundary Travelcard, starting from the earliest off-peak journey into zone 1, travel at least one stop on every line listed on the key of the TfL 'London's Rail and Tube' map With the exception of the Circle and Waterloo & City lines, each journey mus include a station outside zone 1. This includes only those with at least two stops in the zones 1-6. The lines are as follows:
LU - total 11
Overground lines - total 6
Elizabeth Line
DLR
London Trams
National Rail
total of 10 lines *
* Excluded from the map's NR list are those that aren't included in a zone 1-6 Travelcard:
EMR, GEX, Heathrow Express, Luton Airport DART and SE HS. For the same reason, the Boris Dangleway is excluded.

Connections between lines outside interchange stations can be by any means including TfL buses.
 

tram21

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2022
Messages
1,341
Location
Nottingham
I wonder in how many days are you planning to do this if only travelling between 0900-1600hrs.
Some lines have only a limited service running only outside the above times some examples are-
Wandsworth Road- Battersea Park
Rickmansworth- Croxley
Earls Court- Kensington Olympia
You only need to ride a part of a line, so you'd just avoid these sections!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top