• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling on Advance Tickets - Illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2013
Messages
2,588
Location
Leeds
My family are due to be travelling home from Birmingham today. However my dad has been hospitalised. I'm taking the kids home while my parents remain here.

We're travelling on advance tickets with a Family & Friends Railcard in my mum and dad's name - he's in hospital and she's remaining with him. We're unable to afford an additional night in Birmingham and the walk-up fares for all of us.

What would be the best course of action to take in this situation?

Many thanks in advance.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
Official options are somewhat limited, either change the tickets before travel (admin fees will apply), buy new tickets or buy a new Railcard. For the latter the new cardholder must be atleast 16 years old.

Your parents would have change their tickets before the departure time, or buy new tickets to return with.

You might also seek advice from the ticket issuer.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,624
Location
Isle of Man
Official options are basically change the ticket or buy a railcard in your name, at a cost of £30.

Friends and Family Railcards do not usually have a photograph on them, however.
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
I thought officially tickets are non-transferrable and must only be used by the person they have been bought for. As they've already been bought for your parents, then that's that.
:roll:

(I would go down the new railcard route in this case).
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,757
Location
Yorkshire
I thought officially tickets are non-transferrable and must only be used by the person they have been bought for. As they've already been bought for your parents, then that's that.
:roll:

(I would go down the new railcard route in this case).

It sounds like there's simply fewer people travelling and unfortunately that includes the holder(s) of the railcard.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
The official answer is that you would need to get a new F&F Railcard.

I will not suggest that due to the lack of a photograph on an F&F a Railcard that it would be unlikely that its use by a person who is not one of the holders would be picked up on, particularly as the holders include one person of each gender, as we do not encourage fare evasion or breaking the terms of tickets on this forum.
 

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2013
Messages
2,588
Location
Leeds
I talked with the Train Manager of the Virgin service I was booked to be on, where I was allowed to travel after she checked the tickets and I explained the circumstances. Didn't get anything formally endorsed mind, but there was no issues raised by any other member of staff.
Closest to a fine I got was being nagged by my sister into buying her a Pendolino filled with jelly beans from the shop!

Thank you very much, all who advised.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,624
Location
Isle of Man
I will not suggest that due to the lack of a photograph on an F&F a Railcard that it would be unlikely that its use by a person who is not one of the holders would be picked up on, particularly as the holders include one person of each gender, as we do not encourage fare evasion or breaking the terms of tickets on this forum.

:lol:

GatwickDepress, hope your dad gets well soon and is out of hospital. Just a reminder (which I'm sure you don't need) that he can't use the Railcard as he'll not be travelling with children.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top