• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling in the 1960s

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitdiver

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2012
Messages
1,290
Location
Warsop Vale
I'm not sure whether this is the correct area but I have a query about travelling by train in the mid 60's
Would it have been possible to travel from the Stansted (Essex):area to Either White Hart Lane or Northumberland Park stns
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sleeper

Member
Joined
6 Jan 2016
Messages
65
Location
London
All three stations appear on a 1967 Eastern Region timetable map, so yes. What was then called Stansted is now called Stansted Mountfitchet, and the airport branch had yet to be built.

It isn't clear from the information to hand whether through trains ran from Stansted to either of the others - I'd guess you'd have to change at Bishops Stortford or Liverpool Street.

Out of curiosity, why do you doubt whether such journeys were possible in the 1960s?
 

pitdiver

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2012
Messages
1,290
Location
Warsop Vale
It's not that I wasn't sure I just didn't know as I have not got sight of an Eastern Region timetable of that era.
 

PeterC

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
4,786
I have a summer 1963 timetable there was no direct service. A change would always be required at Bishops Stortford and then at Lower Edmonton for White Hart Lane or Cheshunt for Northumberland Park.

Trains from north of Stortford always ran fast to LST. Trains starting at Stortford normally run all stations to Lower Edmonton and Lea Valley trains started at Broxbourne or Cheshunt.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
The Lea Valley line was dmu worked at that time, while the Southbury Loop had only reopened on electrification in 1960 or so. Stansted had a very limited service (I recall a 2-hourly DMU Cambridge-Stortford), though pre electrification there were a handful of through stopping trains to/from London.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top