• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling in London

Status
Not open for further replies.

BanburyBlue

Member
Joined
18 May 2015
Messages
880
Hi, apologies, I didn't know whether this post should be in the Ticket Advice section or the London Underground section. Anyway...

We're going to a 2 day wedding this weekend in London. On the Saturday there's a civil ceremony in Chigwell, and on the Bank Holiday Monday there's the Hindu ceremony near East Ham. We are staying near Chigwell (nearest tube Woodford). On the Monday we need to be in East Ham at 9 a.m. so was going to lash out on a taxi to get there. As there's no time pressure after the ceremony, one option is the get the Underground on the way back to Chigwell.

Now, when I normally go to London, I buy a Travelcard for the day so all this new fangle dangle Oyster card stuff has passed me by :oops:.

Looking at the TfL website, I see now you can tap in and out using a contactless credit card. I've never done this before so I have some (stupid) questions that hopefully someone can help me with?

1. Do I have to register my card, or can I just turn up and use my card?

2. Can I assume I can use Credit or a Debit card?

3. What is the purpose of the pink Oyster card readers? I think I would use these if changing trains? So travelling from East Ham to Woodford, I could change at Mile End. So is there a pink reader somewhere in Mile End that I should look for?

Many thanks,

Clive
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brtom

Member
Joined
6 Mar 2017
Messages
20
1) no need to register, 2) yup 3) they're only at certain stations (ones where if you change there you would be doing a slower cheaper journey) so they're probably won't even be one
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
1. Do I have to register my card, or can I just turn up and use my card?

2. Can I assume I can use Credit or a Debit card?

3. What is the purpose of the pink Oyster card readers? I think I would use these if changing trains? So travelling from East Ham to Woodford, I could change at Mile End. So is there a pink reader somewhere in Mile End that I should look for?

1) You can just turn up and go. If you do register the card you get the benefit of on-the-day journey history, accessible roughly 5-15 minutes after each touch.

2) Any contactless card can be used.

3) No pink readers at Mile End. It might be a bit quicker to change at West Ham and Stratford for that journey. But if you do go via Mile End that is fine. You don't need to worry about pink readers either way in fact.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
One thing to bear in mind is that if there's more than one person travelling you each need a contactless card, i.e. You can't use the same card to pay for two (or more) people.
 

BanburyBlue

Member
Joined
18 May 2015
Messages
880
Many thanks all.

Next (stupid) question, on the Saturday we may be going to Greenwich. Looking at the map it's Woodford to Stratford, then DLR to Greenwich.

So I assume it's touch out of the Central Line, touch in at DLR?
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Many thanks all.

Next (stupid) question, on the Saturday we may be going to Greenwich. Looking at the map it's Woodford to Stratford, then DLR to Greenwich.

So I assume it's touch out of the Central Line, touch in at DLR?

No need to touch out at Stratford as its part of the same complex so just touch out when you get to GReenwich
 

telstarbox

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
6,384
Location
Wennington Crossovers
Yes. For the DLR you want the high level Platform 4a/4b. If there is no train shown to Lewisham, board the first train to Canary Wharf and change cross-platform here (you don't need to touch in/out at Canary Wharf). Note that there are no barriers on most DLR stations so the readers are to the side of the entrance/exits.

If you're going to the Cutty Sark/Maritime Museum/Greenwich Park, Cutty Sark station is closer.
 
Last edited:

Muzer

Established Member
Joined
3 Feb 2012
Messages
2,784
Yes, it's definitely important to remember to touch in and out even at stations without barriers - it's all too easy to forget if you're used to having travelcards! Done this myself on the Waterloo & City a couple of times when I was attempting to use Oyster and momentarily forgot I didn't have a travelcard at Waterloo.

It probably isn't of interest to you as you won't need to use them, but in case you're curious, pink readers, as others have mentioned, are usually placed in places where people would usually change when making a journey cheaper than the more obvious/direct one - most often, journeys that cross London but avoid zone 1 would have a pink reader somewhere along the way, so you can "prove" to the system that you've not gone via zone 1. Of course, sometimes you have to go through two sets of ordinary gatelines when changing on such a journey, in which case no pink reader would be provided as the system can tell from you tapping out and then in again at a different gateline.
 

BanburyBlue

Member
Joined
18 May 2015
Messages
880
Yes, it's definitely important to remember to touch in and out even at stations without barriers - it's all too easy to forget if you're used to having travelcards! Done this myself on the Waterloo & City a couple of times when I was attempting to use Oyster and momentarily forgot I didn't have a travelcard at Waterloo.

It probably isn't of interest to you as you won't need to use them, but in case you're curious, pink readers, as others have mentioned, are usually placed in places where people would usually change when making a journey cheaper than the more obvious/direct one - most often, journeys that cross London but avoid zone 1 would have a pink reader somewhere along the way, so you can "prove" to the system that you've not gone via zone 1. Of course, sometimes you have to go through two sets of ordinary gatelines when changing on such a journey, in which case no pink reader would be provided as the system can tell from you tapping out and then in again at a different gateline.

Great thanks. So if using a credit card to swipe in and out, if you see a pink reader, swipe?
 

Muzer

Established Member
Joined
3 Feb 2012
Messages
2,784
Yes! Never hurts to touch a pink reader if you do see one (except in some very rare/unusual cases that have appeared recently, I believe), and though it's not required, it can make your journey cheaper if you do.
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
Great thanks. So if using a credit card to swipe in and out, if you see a pink reader, swipe?

Whether using Oyster PAYG or contactless when travelling within zones 1-9 it won't hurt to touch on a pink reader. There are some issues with the outside the zones sections, especially the Gatwick extension.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top