1dohg
New Member
Yesterday, I was in Paris Nord's booking office attempting to purchase a single between Montparnasse and Bordeaux. There weren't any seats left in 2nd class for the train I wished to travel on however the staff were quite insistent that I was permitted to purchase a discounted ticket and travel in 1st class using my 2nd class FIP.
Reluctantly I accepted this and bought a 1st class fare. Upon boarding the train my ticket and FIP were inspected by the train crew and accepted without any comments on the class of travel.
Am I simply failing to understand the rules on this (given this is my first international rail trip using FIP), was it an oversight by the staff, or was it professional courtesy based on me being rail staff, similar to what is common between staff in Britain?
I visit the continent very frequently so it would be nice to know whether or not I can officially travel with a 1st class ticket in France!
Reluctantly I accepted this and bought a 1st class fare. Upon boarding the train my ticket and FIP were inspected by the train crew and accepted without any comments on the class of travel.
Am I simply failing to understand the rules on this (given this is my first international rail trip using FIP), was it an oversight by the staff, or was it professional courtesy based on me being rail staff, similar to what is common between staff in Britain?
I visit the continent very frequently so it would be nice to know whether or not I can officially travel with a 1st class ticket in France!