• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling from The Hague to Antwerp

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK Tom

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2011
Messages
2,458
Location
Milton Keynes
I'm planning a journey from The Hague to Antwerp at around 13.30-15.00 kind of time on Monday March 30th. I've been given completely different time results from the NS and SNCB websites and no fares from either. Can anyone help me establish what tickets are available and what trains they can be used on?

A break of journey in Rotterdam would be nice too if that's possible.

Many thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
I'm planning a journey from The Hague to Antwerp at around 13.30-15.00 kind of time on Monday March 30th. I've been given completely different time results from the NS and SNCB websites and no fares from either. Can anyone help me establish what tickets are available and what trains they can be used on?

A break of journey in Rotterdam would be nice too if that's possible.

Many thanks!

You want to be using the international websites to get times and fares. I prefer the Belgian site

https://www.b-europe.com

If you get a regular fare, not including Thalys, it will be 23.80 single. You can break your journey anywhere en route and use any train that day, except Thalys. If you get a fare including Thalys, changing at Rotterdam, then you need to travel on that particular Thalys train.

It may be cheaper to split tickets at Roosendaal if you don't use Thalys.
 
Last edited:

MK Tom

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2011
Messages
2,458
Location
Milton Keynes
Is that the on the day walk-up fare? Incidentally I'm 25 if that makes any difference.

I read that to break a journey you have to get a special 'via' ticket - is that only on domestic journeys then?
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
Is that the on the day walk-up fare? Incidentally I'm 25 if that makes any difference.

I read that to break a journey you have to get a special 'via' ticket - is that only on domestic journeys then?

There are cheaper international fares for under 26s (15.50). It makes no difference whether you book in advance or not if you don't use Thalys. You can buy the ticket from the ticket machines in any station in the Netherlands. If you use a UK bank card, you have to pay a 0.50 euro surcharge. (On the NS International site, it says you can only use euro coins or Dutch bank cards. That is now out of date as they now accept Visa and Mastercard). There is no fee for using euro coins (notes not accepted). You can also buy it from the ticket office on the day, but there may be a booking fee for that.

There are no specific domestic discounts for under 26s in the Netherlands AFAIK, although students get nationwide free travel either on weekdays or weekends. In Belgium, under 26s can get a Go Pass 1, which is any distance one-way for 6 euros.

Via-tickets are for domestic fares in Belgium. I have to admit, I always assumed they were only if you wanted to go off route and not want to buy 2 singles, but looking at the website, it may be needed for break of journey.
 
Last edited:

MK Tom

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2011
Messages
2,458
Location
Milton Keynes
OK, in that case I expect I'll get those tickets on my Visa card on the day then. Thanks very much.

The only journeys I'll do wholly within Belgium will be Antwerp-Brussels and Brussels-airport on the following day, so I may use the Go Pass if that works out cheaper.
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
Brussels airport has a 5.10 surcharge, so it costs 8.50 from Brussels city centre to the airport single. It is cheaper by local bus.
 

Groningen

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Messages
2,866
Just one way or return on the same day?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The cheapest fare i can find at the moment is 23,80 euro for a 1 way ticket.
 

MK Tom

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2011
Messages
2,458
Location
Milton Keynes
One way, yeah.

I'm also open to the possibility of taking the Randstad Rail to Rotterdam and going from there if that's any cheaper.
 

Groningen

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Messages
2,866
Rotterdam - Antwerpen is 1 way 20,20, but Den Haag Centraal - Rotterdam Centraal with Metro E is 4,30. So you will be paying a little bit more than the direct connection.
 

Groningen

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Messages
2,866
I have sent out a tweet to the RET and am waiting for a reply. But honestly does someone visit the new trainstation (with tunnel) in Delft. Much nicer!
 

MK Tom

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2011
Messages
2,458
Location
Milton Keynes
Thanks everyone. I'll post back here if I have any other questions come up over the next two weeks!
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
I posted the question on Skyscrapercity and I was told there is a RET machine on platform 12 at Den Haag CS.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top