• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling From St Pancras 31/1/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
I'm travelling from London to Leicester on Saturday 31/1 on a reasonably tight schedule.

Looking at tickets available I see that St Pancras is closed that weekend with all trains starting/terminating at West Hampstead Thameslink.

This has an air of 'Finsbury Park' about it, does anyone know what the likelihood is of a repeat of the scenes we saw last Saturday.

I appreciate there is far longer to plan things than there was last week, and presumably there's no way NR/GTR/EMT will want a repeat of Finsbury Park and will hopefully ensure sufficient staffing resources are deployed.

Can anyone with any inside knowledge shed any light.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Abpj17

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2014
Messages
1,012
I don't have inside knowledge I'm afraid, but West Hampsted is a better station to change at than Kentish Town (narrow steps/exit between Thameslink platforms and the usually packed Northern Line) or Finsbury Park. The exits from West H are generous and then it is a 200m or so walk down the road (which spreads the crowds out) before going down to the Jubilee line (which has generous platforms).

It won't be nice, but I can think of far worse options. If you are travelling onwards, someone can help advise the best place to change/carriage to pick at West Hampsted.
 

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,474
Location
London
A quick look at Realtime Trains for that weekend shows Thameslink services all using Platform 2 (the Down Slow), with EMT terminating in Platform 3 (Up Fast) and shunting over to Platform 4 (Down Fast) for their next working. (Apologies if I've got the wrong line names, but you get the idea).

As Platform 2/3 is an island, this could result in bottlenecks if an EMT service arrives on 3 at the same time as a Thameslink is boarding on 2. It would have been preferable to have EMT turning round in Platform 4 to separate the flows better, but obviously they have a longer turnaround time than the Thameslink services.

In terms of access, the situation has improved since the new entrance opened on the Iverson Road (Down) side of the station, though there are only five standard and one wide ticket barrier there, with three standard and one wide gate on the Up side (where the Ticket Office used to be).

The station has two footbridges: The "original" one towards the London end of the platforms linking the up side entrance to the platforms, which only has stair access, and a new one towards the middle of the platforms with lift and stair access, which links to the Iverson Road entrance.

As has already been stated, the three West Hampstead stations are approximately 200 metres apart with West Hampstead Thameslink the furthest North, West Hampstead (NLL) in the middle, and West Hampstead (Jubilee) the furthest South and on the opposite side of West End Lane. Pavement width is something of a concern, however.
 

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
I'm travelling from London to Leicester on Saturday 31/1 on a reasonably tight schedule.

Looking at tickets available I see that St Pancras is closed that weekend with all trains starting/terminating at West Hampstead Thameslink.
Oooh, nice quiet weekend at work for me!
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
I'm travelling from London to Leicester on Saturday 31/1 on a reasonably tight schedule.

Looking at tickets available I see that St Pancras is closed that weekend with all trains starting/terminating at West Hampstead Thameslink.

This has an air of 'Finsbury Park' about it, does anyone know what the likelihood is of a repeat of the scenes we saw last Saturday.

I appreciate there is far longer to plan things than there was last week, and presumably there's no way NR/GTR/EMT will want a repeat of Finsbury Park and will hopefully ensure sufficient staffing resources are deployed.

Can anyone with any inside knowledge shed any light.

Is the 31st the day after a huge 2 day celebration when the network is shut down completely with many thousands wanting to get home after visiting relatives?
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,840
Location
West of Andover
East Midland Trains is using Luton as well to terminate trains (1 train an hour) with 2 trains an hour going down to West Hampstead.
 

45107

On Moderation
Joined
3 May 2014
Messages
324
I'm travelling from London to Leicester on Saturday 31/1 on a reasonably tight schedule.

Looking at tickets available I see that St Pancras is closed that weekend with all trains starting/terminating at West Hampstead Thameslink.

This has an air of 'Finsbury Park' about it, does anyone know what the likelihood is of a repeat of the scenes we saw last Saturday.

I appreciate there is far longer to plan things than there was last week, and presumably there's no way NR/GTR/EMT will want a repeat of Finsbury Park and will hopefully ensure sufficient staffing resources are deployed.

Can anyone with any inside knowledge shed any light.

Believe it or not, but this will be planned with (hopefully) sufficient staffing levels/reservations etc.
Finsbury Park was an unplanned event at short notice after the country was shut down for 2 days.
 

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Joined
22 Sep 2013
Messages
7,691
It will probably work fine, West Hampstead has been used on a number of occasions. Otherwise, if the schedule allows, use a National Express coach instead, or train via Nuneaton.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
I'm on the 1129 EMT departure from West Hampstead Thameslink.

Loads of staff at all three West Hampstead Stations directing passengers although the trains do seem very quiet.

So far so good and definately no Repeatg of Finsbury Park.
 

Abpj17

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2014
Messages
1,012
I'm on the 1129 EMT departure from West Hampstead Thameslink.

Loads of staff at all three West Hampstead Stations directing passengers although the trains do seem very quiet.

So far so good and definately no Repeatg of Finsbury Park.

Commuters had a hellish week on the line, I can't imagine any going into London this weekend other than for work/pre-booked committments.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,928
Commuters had a hellish week on the line, I can't imagine any going into London this weekend other than for work/pre-booked committments.

TL trains today well loaded - all 8 car. W Hampstead worked well, plenty of staff on hand. Both my trips on time.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
My trip back up to London was trouble free too. All EMT trains were 10 carriage

I agree West Hampstead was very well controlled. Lots of staff directing passengers at all three West Hampstead stations. Seemed to be a number of 'suits' about this morning as well.

Good separation of platforms for arriving and departing services. It seemed to me that the plan worked well.

I suppose the last thing anyone needed was a repeat of Finsbury Park in the media!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top