• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling beyond Oyster Zones & Doubling Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

njr001

Member
Joined
8 Feb 2013
Messages
241
Today I travelled from Rickmansworth via London Bridge to Knockholt using an Oyster card (with a railcard discount). One option on TFL Journey Planner was to take a fast train to Sevenoaks and the double back to KCK. I took this option, could I have been penalty fared or reported for prosecution between KCK and SEV or SEV and KCK despite having a TFL itinerary screen grabbed on my phone?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,392
One option on TFL Journey Planner was to take a fast train to Sevenoaks and the double back to KCK. I took this option, could I have been penalty fared or reported for prosecution between KCK and SEV or SEV and KCK despite having a TFL itinerary screen grabbed on my phone?
While Sevenoaks is now in the range of Contactless validity, the Oyster area ends at Knockholt.

3.12 Oyster pay as you go may only be used on participating National Rail services entirely within the London National Rail Pay As You Go Area and in standard class accommodation only.
b) The “London National Rail Pay As You Go Area” means that area in which Oyster pay as you go is accepted as payment for travel on the National Rail Network;

Nothing in that document would appear to refer to an itinerary or a journey planner conferring additional rights.
 
Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,801
Location
UK
Today I travelled from Rickmansworth via London Bridge to Knockholt using an Oyster card (with a railcard discount). One option on TFL Journey Planner was to take a fast train to Sevenoaks and the double back to KCK. I took this option, could I have been penalty fared or reported for prosecution between KCK and SEV or SEV and KCK despite having a TFL itinerary screen grabbed on my phone?
The TfL journey planner doesn't state that Oyster is valid for a given journey, does it? It just states the PAYG fare for the stations you are travelling between.

You would have been valid to make the journey with this double-back if using contactless, as the contactless area of validity now extends to Sevenoaks. But not if using Oyster, since this is only valid as far as Knockholt.
 

TrenHotel

Member
Joined
31 Jul 2011
Messages
210
Location
London
The TfL planner will sometimes give you services which don't fit in Oyster or the TfL fare system, like coaches or non-red buses - ask it for Heathrow to Uxbridge and it may give you the Arriva 724, for example.
 
Last edited:

njr001

Member
Joined
8 Feb 2013
Messages
241
Had I used contactless and my bank card was checked between KCN & SEV or as I doubled back would this have affected the contactless fare I would be charged between Rickmansworth & Knockholt?
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,392
Had I used contactless and my bank card was checked between KCN & SEV or as I doubled back would this have affected the contactless fare I would be charged between Rickmansworth & Knockholt?
No. The contactless fare is based solely on where you touch in and out, including touches on the way. Interchange at Sevenoaks does not involve passing through the barrier gates.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,801
Location
UK
Had I used contactless and my bank card was checked between KCN & SEV or as I doubled back would this have affected the contactless fare I would be charged between Rickmansworth & Knockholt?
No. With contactless revenue inspections, they are purely checking your card number to see if it's on TfL's list of blocked cards. A record is made of the fact that your card was inspected, and this is sent to TfL.

If TfL can see, when all your day's touches are reconciled by the system overnight, that you were touched in at the time of the inspection - hunky dorey. If you weren't, you'll be charged a maximum fare and get one "strike" towards the three strikes that will see your card blocked.

AFAIK, rhe location of the inspection isn't part of the data sent to TfL and indeed I would be surprised if the Oyster/contactless revenue inspection devices even know their current location when an inspection takes place between stations. Perhaps they're more sophisticated than I give them credit for!

In any event, even if TfL knew you were doubling back, that isn't against the rules for PAYG. You get charged based on where you start and end your journey. Intermediate touches/changes only make a difference if they mean you meet the criteria for a different fare than the 'default' fare (e.g. being charged for travelling via Zone 1).

There's only the default fare from Rickmansworth to Knockholt, so any intermediate touches won't make a difference to the fare - provided you remain within the maximum journey time.
 

PeterC

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
4,786
Whatever the theory a ticket inspection while outside the Oyster zones might involve a difficult conversation.
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,583
Location
Crayford
Whatever the theory a ticket inspection while outside the Oyster zones might involve a difficult conversation.
If using Oyster, yes. But the OP changed the criteria to using contactless.
 

njr001

Member
Joined
8 Feb 2013
Messages
241
Just to confirm I didn't use contactless because of Oystercard has a railcard added, I just asked whether there would be an issue IF contactless had been used. I also assume this is one of the few journeys where a doubling back is quicker. Hopefully not too long before a railcard discount can be added to a bankcard
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,392
I also assume this is one of the few journeys where a doubling back is quicker.
There are many journeys in the Oyster or Contactless area where doubling back is quicker. All you need is a station only served by stopping trains that is one stop short of a station which is served by faster ones.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top