• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling between London Terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.

enkc

Member
Joined
25 Jan 2017
Messages
5
I have recently moved home and am planning to switch my Zone 1-2 Travelcard for a Forest Hill to London Terminals one instead of taking a new Zone 1-3 card.

The London terminal that I would normally travel to is London Bridge, where I work. However, I do quite a lot of travel during the day between London Bridge and Charing Cross.

I wondered if the journeys between London Bridge and Charing Cross is included in the travelcard? Given Charing Cross is one of the "London Terminals"?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,435
Location
Yorkshire
Welcome to the forum :)

A point to point Season ticket is not a Travelcard, but a ticket from Forest Hill to London Terminals would indeed be valid all the way to Charing Cross. Season tickets are valid for unlimited journeys en-route.

Edit: I can't find a Forest Hill to London Terminals Season ticket on BRfares.com. Are you sure such a ticket exists?
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,717
Location
Scotland
I wondered if the journeys between London Bridge and Charing Cross is included in the travelcard? Given Charing Cross is one of the "London Terminals"?
What is the price of the ticket you are thinking of buying?
 

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,464
Location
London
Edit: I can't find a Forest Hill to London Terminals Season ticket on BRfares.com. Are you sure such a ticket exists?

Not sure what was going on when you looked, but I found the relevant ticket on both BRFares and a WebTIS-powered site selling seasons for £980 a year (£24.50 a week) by explicitly putting in Forest Hill to Charing Cross. Definitely issued as London Terminals though.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,717
Location
Scotland
Edit: I can't find a Forest Hill to London Terminals Season ticket on BRfares.com. Are you sure such a ticket exists?
This is what I found - link. That's why I was asking the price of the ticket that enkc was looking at.
 
Last edited:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
Probably no need to point this out but not valid on the underground.

Unless it's on the lines allowed by the London Bridge rebuilding works. Eg Jubilee between London Bridge and Waterloo.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,307
Location
Bolton
Is Sydenham (London) to Drayton Park 'Not Underground' valid via Charing Cross? A little extra validity either side and £0.50 cheaper to boot if so.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
I don't think it can be valid to CX.

There have been various discussions of Not Underground routings (can't locate them just now) and I don't think there was a consensus.

I think one might need to argue at the gateline at CHX - whereas CST seems reasonable geographically.
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
Is Sydenham (London) to Drayton Park 'Not Underground' valid via Charing Cross? A little extra validity either side and £0.50 cheaper to boot if so.

There is some debate about whether it's valid. I think it is valid, but it is not worth the considerable hassle that using a ticket like this for a regular commute will incur at the gatelines, especially for such a small saving.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,435
Location
Yorkshire
There have been various discussions of Not Underground routings (can't locate them just now) ....
This link (without spaces): tiny url.com/notunderground locates most of them, and there been been quite a few :lol:
 
Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
Forest Hill to London Terminals £24.50 a week is assuredly valid from London Bridge to London Charing Cross.
 

enkc

Member
Joined
25 Jan 2017
Messages
5
Not sure if my actual question has been answered - the annual season ticket between Forest Hill and London terminals costs around £550 less than a Zone 1 to 3 railcard.

I know I can travel to London Bridge or Charing Cross from Forest Hill using this ticket (for Charing Cross, there's a National Rail interchange at London Bridge).

What I'm interested in is where I can make trips (using overground services) between Charing Cross and London Bridge during the day, having exited the station at say London Bridge.
 

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
1,449
Not sure if my actual question has been answered - the annual season ticket between Forest Hill and London terminals costs around £550 less than a Zone 1 to 3 railcard.

I know I can travel to London Bridge or Charing Cross from Forest Hill using this ticket (for Charing Cross, there's a National Rail interchange at London Bridge).

What I'm interested in is where I can make trips (using overground services) between Charing Cross and London Bridge during the day, having exited the station at say London Bridge.

Yes, no problem with that.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Not sure if my actual question has been answered - the annual season ticket between Forest Hill and London terminals costs around £550 less than a Zone 1 to 3 railcard.

I know I can travel to London Bridge or Charing Cross from Forest Hill using this ticket (for Charing Cross, there's a National Rail interchange at London Bridge).

What I'm interested in is where I can make trips (using overground services) between Charing Cross and London Bridge during the day, having exited the station at say London Bridge.

Your question was answered in the first few replies, but I think Posts 8-12, while well-intended, probably confused you and can be safely ignored for the purpose of answering your original question.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
Not sure if my actual question has been answered - the annual season ticket between Forest Hill and London terminals costs around £550 less than a Zone 1 to 3 railcard.

I know I can travel to London Bridge or Charing Cross from Forest Hill using this ticket (for Charing Cross, there's a National Rail interchange at London Bridge).

What I'm interested in is where I can make trips (using overground services) between Charing Cross and London Bridge during the day, having exited the station at say London Bridge.

There is no such thing as a "zone 1 to 3 railcard" and London Overground does not run between London Charing Cross and London Bridge.

You can use a zone 1 to 3 Travelcard or a Forest Hill to London Terminals season ticket on Southeastern services between London Bridge and London Charing Cross and vice-versa, except on weekday services away from London Charing Cross between 08:04 and 09:17 and on weekday services towards London Charing Cross between 16:37 and 18:03.
 

pne

Member
Joined
22 Dec 2014
Messages
400
Location
Hamburg, Germany
You can use a zone 1 to 3 Travelcard or a Forest Hill to London Terminals season ticket on Southeastern services between London Bridge and London Charing Cross and vice-versa, except on weekday services away from London Charing Cross between 08:04 and 09:17 and on weekday services towards London Charing Cross between 16:37 and 18:03.

What's special about those services?

(If the answer is something like "they're not timetabled to stop at London Bridge", that has nothing to do with the tickets nor do I think the OP would be tempted to take them.)
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
What's special about those services?

(If the answer is something like "they're not timetabled to stop at London Bridge", that has nothing to do with the tickets nor do I think the OP would be tempted to take them.)

While London Bridge is being rebuilt only 3 of the 4 lines through the station to Charing Cross are available. In the peaks only one track is used by contra peak services and stopping any trains would be unworkable.
 

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2017
Messages
2,959
... and London Overground does not run between London Charing Cross and London Bridge.

The OP said "overground services", clearly referring to National Rail, 'mainline', 'big railway' or however one might wish to refer to them.

The description 'overground' or 'overland' is pretty common in London to refer to non-Underground lines or trains (and not specifically to London Overground's routes). Once upon a time "BR" would have been a non-ambiguous description.
 

Elecman

Established Member
Joined
31 Dec 2013
Messages
3,581
Location
Lancashire
With a season ticket you can make as many journeys you like between the 2 stations on the ticket and any intermediate stations on the permitted routes.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,717
Location
Scotland
With a season ticket you can make as many journeys you like between the 2 stations on the ticket and any intermediate stations on the permitted routes.
I think the OP knew that, what they weren't sure about was if journeys between London Bridge and Charing Cross were considered to be on a permitted route or not.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
What's special about those services?

(If the answer is something like "they're not timetabled to stop at London Bridge", that has nothing to do with the tickets nor do I think the OP would be tempted to take them.)

During those times and only those times, trains in the given direction do not call at London Bridge. At all other times all trains to and from Charing Cross call there.
 

GiovanniBCY75

Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
15
Should you ever wish to, you would also be permitted to go from Forest Hill to Waterloo East, exit at the ticket gates, go down to Waterloo's concourse, and go onto a train to Vauxhall, without breaking any rules. You can go to these stations because they are considered London Terminals. You can even go to Blackfriars and [I believe] St Pancras International and exit using the same card, but not Farringdon as it is not a London Terminal.

I always found it odd that I could get out of a Terminal station even though the Southern company I bought my annual gold card does not go there. (I have a Brockley to London Terminals annual).

Plus you can go anti-clockwise to London Victoria from Forest Hill.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
You cannot pass Farringdon on a London Terminals ticket, so St Pancras is very definitely not permitted coming from the south.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,773
You cannot pass Farringdon on a London Terminals ticket, so St Pancras is very definitely not permitted coming from the south.
Strictly speaking, you cannot arrive at, let alone pass, Farringdon from the south and you can only arrive at and pass from the north when arriving at St Pancras on HS1 from south of the Thames.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top