• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelled without realising my railcard had expired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabrielle16

New Member
Joined
1 May 2026
Messages
2
Location
London Kings Cross
On the 9th Jan at 01:24 I travelled between Cambridge North and London Kings Cross believing I had a valid Network Railcard, using an anytime day single. When fair enforcement requested to see my railcard I couldn't produce it and realised in this moment it hadn't been renewed. Fair enforcement was extremely unpleasant and did not give option for me to buy a new ticket which would have been for the same value as the ticket I had purchased because of my time of travel. I received letter on the 15th April notifying me of potential prosecution or £1000 fine which was surprising to receive so far after the date and with no interim step as I have known others to receive in the past.

I responded to the the letter taking responsibility today but now am left thinking that the harshness of the letter received is not fitting of the mistake I made and am wondering how to best respond to have this settled as swiftly as possible.

I emailed my valid ticket on the day of the incident and evidence of the railcard I purchased on the same day although I know this wont count towards anything as it was after the fact. Again, my ticket clearly shows that the fair I paid had no network railcard discount applied and I believe the agent didn't interrogate this fact because he was so keen to move forward with escalating this case.

All advice appreciated.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

*fare
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
Can you confirm:

Exactly what train did you catch. From what I can see there isn’t a service from Cambridge North to Kings Cross at 01:24 on a Friday morning (or any morning)

Exactly what ticket did you possess. What was the valid from and to dates of the ticket and how much did you pay for it.
 

Gabrielle16

New Member
Joined
1 May 2026
Messages
2
Location
London Kings Cross
Can you confirm:

Exactly what train did you catch. From what I can see there isn’t a service from Cambridge North to Kings Cross at 01:24 on a Friday morning (or any morning)

Exactly what ticket did you possess. What was the valid from and to dates of the ticket and how much did you pay for it.
Apologies for the delayed response -

Date ticket valid for: 9th Jan, 2026
Date of travel: 9th Jan, 2026
Train time from Cambridge North > London KC: 12:31
Ticket Type: Anytime day single
Ticket cost: £21.20
Purchased from: The Trainline
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
Apologies for the delayed response -

Date ticket valid for: 9th Jan, 2026
Date of travel: 9th Jan, 2026
Train time from Cambridge North > London KC: 12:31
Ticket Type: Anytime day single
Ticket cost: £21.20
Purchased from: The Trainline
Thanks. That's the discounted price.

GTR will almost certainly settle if you replied apologising for the mistake; they generally charge the full fare plus around £60 admin.

They may investigate previous railcard-discounted journeys, but if you can evidence that you had a railcard on those occasions that won't be a problem.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top