• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travel voucher at unstaffed station

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockford

Member
Joined
18 Apr 2011
Messages
63
Evening!
I'm looking to travel from Stansted Mountfitchet to Cambridge tonight. I want to pay by rail travel voucher.
As Stansted is unmanned, can I:
a) Buy from the RPI
b) Buy once I get to Cambridge
Or will I get a fine if I get on board without a ticket?...
Thanks!
Andy.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
Whichever of A or B comes first, at the first opportunity to pay you must - hopefully NXEA will be better at this rule than another TOC but you should have nothing to worry about.

If you come across an RPI they will either take the voucher or if they can't they will probably just tell you to buy at Cambridge :)
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
According to the NRCoC:

If there is a permit to travel machine, you should put atleast 10p in it to get a permit to travel.

If there is no permit to travel you should purchase a ticket for atleast part of the journey.

If you do not do either of those you could be liable for a penalty fare.

However that does not take into account that ticket machines do not accept Rail Vouchers.

My advice would be to contact NXEA in the next 5 minutes (before 18:00).
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,578
Use the information button at the help point on the station, explain the circumstances to them however be aware that you will be taking them off script so they might not be able to help you much! I'd record it too if you are able to!
 

rockford

Member
Joined
18 Apr 2011
Messages
63
Hmm... on the train now.
As far as I could see there was no information point at the station and I missed the 18:00 deadline to talk to someone on the phone.
I didn't buy a ticket for part of the journey as the voucher covers the entire cost.
Fingers crossed I'll either meet an understanding RPI or get to Cambridge unchallenged.
I don't like the fact that I feel like I'm doing something wrong despite not being able to buy the ticket that I wanted!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Or should I say pay using the payment method I wanted to use...
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,578
Ok, your not doing anything wrong. Once you get to Cambridge - ask the staff on the gateline for the ticket, explaining that you haven't had the oppertunity to do so using the method of payment you wish to use. They will probably just let you through and send you to the Ticket Office.
Once there ask for the ticket, "Hi, could I please have an single/return from Stansted Mountfitchet to here as I haven't had the opportunity to purchase one yet using this voucher" they should sell you the ticket no problems :smile:

Whatever you do, don't walk straight past the ticket office once you have been let through the barriers!

TP
 

burns20

Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
611
Location
Machynlleth
My mum used a rail travel voucher boarding at Saxilby, Lincs (unstaffed) travelling to Meadowhell on the 27th and the conductor was fine with it
 

rockford

Member
Joined
18 Apr 2011
Messages
63
G4S staff at the barriers looked at me like a madman and waved me through to the ticket desks after briefly trying to understand.
Good result all 'round!
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,578
Bearing in mind NXEA don't use G4S I fail to understand this... lets not make it into an anti G4S thread! Meteor provide gateline staff for NX, I generally find them very helpful and courteous! Brilliant training I think!

TP
 

rockford

Member
Joined
18 Apr 2011
Messages
63
Apologies if that's the case. I could've sworn his jacket had the G4S logo on it.
Then again, I wasn't paying too much attention to that and was more concerned about being let through.
He was perfectly polite, but just didn't 'get' what I was trying to do.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top