• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travel places to spend vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynthia24

Member
Joined
24 Dec 2007
Messages
5
Hello everyone I just graduated from college and my parents gave me a vacation to a foreign country as a gift. Can you help me decide on which country or place I’ll go to? I’ve browsed upon this travel forum and I want to join in. This is a one-stop shop for travel tips.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave A

Member
Joined
7 Jun 2005
Messages
1,161
I plan to go to New York next year, for a bit of crimbo shopping, providing the pound stays as strong as it is against the dollar. Or to Sicily, which is absolutely beautiful, if that fails. :)

Or you can join me on my country wide tour to find the best fish and chips in the UK in March (seriously!). :D
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
I'd say Belgium, but I suppose you're looking for something a little more exotic?

Anyway, I can only suggest you go to Australia (as I plan to do).
 

D306

Established Member
Joined
9 Apr 2007
Messages
2,237
Location
somewhere concrete
I'd say, why not go over the continent via train. My cousin from New Zealand has recently done that. I think she went from somewhere just outside Russia and went straight through into Shanghai. It's about 5 days on a train, with stops in places.
 

Callufrax

Member
Joined
16 Apr 2007
Messages
145
Location
Sydney, Australia
I'd have to agree with mparsonz. A train journey through to Beijing, or Hong Kong, from Britain (I'm assuming that's where you are), would definitely be something to consider. If I weren't planning to visit the States next year, I'd have done Manchester to Hong Kong instead.
 

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,468
Location
Cambridge
I could recommend a couple of countries that you probably wouldn't really think of visiting. Slovenia is gorgeous, partiuclarly around the coasts, and there are some amazing sights. It's also very close to Italy (Venice!) and Austria, and very cheap too. Germany is a very diverse country too, which can be easily explored by public transport.

If you're looking for something a little more far flung, Canada has been highly recommended to me by several.

Also, try www.moneysavingexpert.com, where you can find a host of tips on cheap flights and other travel essentials!
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,826
Location
Back office
Egypt was pretty jokes but try not to get shot if you try to climb the pyramids :)
 

Jord

Member
Joined
21 Jun 2007
Messages
1,180
Location
Aberdeenshire
Why would you want to go to a foreign country?

1. The foods rotten.
2. You aint got a clue what there saying.
3. They aint got a clue what your saying.
4. The trains are ugly and futuristic plus run on-time.
 

Gizmogle

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2006
Messages
6,015
I'd say Belgium, but I suppose you're looking for something a little more exotic?
Belgium is full of *** shops and booze :p

I've only been to Turkey and Greece, but they were both really nice. Friendly people, nice weather and plenty of trips to go out and about on.
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
Belgium is full of *** shops and booze :p

I think you're getting mixed up with Amsterdam ;) (My second favourite place;)).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've only been to Turkey and Greece, but they were both really nice. Friendly people, nice weather and plenty of trips to go out and about on.

I want to go to Turkey, but my mum thought we'd get blown up :roll:. And the only Turkish airline out of Glasgow is Onur Air, which got banned in 10 countries at the time we were booking. Looks lovely though and you get a lot for your money.

If you want cheap, though, Costa Almeria in Spain is fantastic, I'd say my favourite beach area in Spain. It's shielded by the Sierra Nevada mountains, so gets really good weather, and is very unspoiled (unlike, say, Benidorm). Food's good, good for golf, and they all speak English. Flooded with Germans though...

Black Forest in Germany; another place I'd strongly recommend to you.

Jersey, CI. Not what it used to be, but very friendly, quaint, and everyone speaks English.
 

D306

Established Member
Joined
9 Apr 2007
Messages
2,237
Location
somewhere concrete
I would recomend Cyprus, as every one in the Greek area, is very nice. they all treat you as you family. But there are no trains/railways there
 

Mintona

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2006
Messages
3,592
Location
South West
Why would you want to go to a foreign country?

Wibble

1. The foods rotten.

It usually isn't, and no doubt foreign people would say ours is.

2. You aint got a clue what there saying.

If you bother to learn the language, then it isn't a problem. Also, in many foreign countries, much of the population speaks our language.

3. They aint got a clue what your saying.

See above.

4. The trains are ugly and futuristic plus run on-time.

I would hardly say that's a reason to not visit a country.

200px-France-Sncf-Train.jpg


Still in everday use in our closest foreign country bar Ireland! And speaking of Ireland...

460_0___30_0_0_0_0_0_navan_drogheda_freight_train_indy.jpg


And yes, whilst these countries do have more futuristic trains, look at our Pendolinos. Hardly an old design.

Anyway, back to the original point of the thread...I have always fancied going to Sweden to experience the ralways over there, and so that's where I would go!
 

Donny Dave

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2005
Messages
5,394
Location
Doncaster
Why would you want to go to a foreign country?

1. The foods rotten.
2. You aint got a clue what there saying.
3. They aint got a clue what your saying.
4. The trains are ugly and futuristic plus run on-time.

Going to a foreign country is an experiance. You get to see and do different things compared to here in the UK.

Normally. if you can be bothered to learn a few simple phrases (such as please, thankyou, etc), then the locals will help you far more than the tourists who turn up, and just grunt in their own language.

1 thing I like to do is spend a few days of the 'beaten track'. IE. The tourist hotspots, as you experiance the country at it's best. Local markets, local traditions and local events can all be very interesting, even educational.

Jord, before you say things like that, could you think about it please. I take it from those points you have never been abroad. If that is the case, then I suggest you book a foreign holiday next year.
 

D306

Established Member
Joined
9 Apr 2007
Messages
2,237
Location
somewhere concrete
1 thing I like to do is spend a few days of the 'beaten track'. IE. The tourist hotspots, as you experiance the country at it's best. Local markets, local traditions and local events can all be very interesting, even educational.

This is exactly the same story when I was in Cyprus earlier this year. The touristy part of Cyprus is Pafos, and I was staying in a small village, as David said,
of the 'beaten track'
It is so much nicer doing that than being in a touristy area
 

33056

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2007
Messages
2,424
Location
On a train somewhere in Europe
4. The trains are ugly and futuristic plus run on-time.

There is less plastic junk over the English Channel than there is over here, go the Mariazellerbahn in Austria and have a ride behind a 90 year old electric loco. They run every day and it is easy to bash them and avoid the modern kart that was meant to replace them but was such a great success that they only built two :D.

As for time keeping try bashing in Switzerland - you can rely on the tightest connections, I have never had to rehash any moves there due to being bowled by late running.
 

cynthia24

Member
Joined
24 Dec 2007
Messages
5
hello everyone... thank you giving some brilliant ideas. I'll be posting here some updates about the place I am going to visit then..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top