• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travel irregularity

Status
Not open for further replies.

grace mac

Member
Joined
18 Feb 2025
Messages
6
Location
Middlesborough
Hi,

I book a train from York-Middlesbrough. On getting to Thornaby, the conductor approached me for my ticket. I had an e-ticket which I showed him. I requested for my railcard and I showed him too. He checked and saw that it had expired last year in July.

I didn't know because I don't usually train because I work close to home. So I use the bus often and if I do the railcard applies automatically so it didn't occur to me to check.

They have sent me a letter requesting that I offer a statement and provide relevant information I wish then to consider in relations to the travel irregularity.

How should I respond to this? I'm scared because this is my first time.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 49
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,277
I'm scared because this is my first time.
@grace mac. Welcome to the forum. Just to clarify, have you possibly purchased/used any other railcard discounted tickets since the old railcard expired (over half a year ago)? TPE's investigation team will be able to readily check this if you've routinely bought your tickets online with the likes of Trainline.
 

grace mac

Member
Joined
18 Feb 2025
Messages
6
Location
Middlesborough
Yes I have but I didn't know my card expired but the railcard automatically activated. I didn't even think to check. I use trip.com
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you do need to respond to this. If you don't the case will end up in court.

However indavertent it was an out of date railcard means your ticket was invalid and that is a criminal offence. Transpennine are within their rights to prosecute you in the Magistrates Court if they want to. The good news is they will normally offer an out of court settlement to people who co-operate witht heir investigation and who haven't come to their attention before. Expect to have to pay the cost of the fare at the full Anytime rate, with no credit given for the ticket you did purchase, plus an admin fee, typically £150.

TPE will likely audit your online ticket purchasing history and if this indicates that you have purchased railcard discunted tickets since the railcard expired they will want to factor the costs of these tickets into the settlement cost.

Paying an out of court settlement might feel like paying a fine but technically it isn't - only a court can impose a fine as a punishment upon conviction. Paying a settlement avoids the case going to court and means you won't have a conviction.

If you post a copy of your draft reply in this thread forum members will be happy to proof read it for you.
 

grace mac

Member
Joined
18 Feb 2025
Messages
6
Location
Middlesborough
I appreciate your clarity on this. Just for more clarification, will the investigation be carried out on whether I have purchased any train ticket (not depending on the company) or purchased a TPE ticket with the railcard?
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
I appreciate your clarity on this. Just for more clarification, will the investigation be carried out on whether I have purchased any train ticket (not depending on the company) or purchased a TPE ticket with the railcard?
They knew your railcard expired last July so they will look at your account for any railcard discounted tickets you've purchased since then.
 

grace mac

Member
Joined
18 Feb 2025
Messages
6
Location
Middlesborough
Ok, thank you for that clarification.

Here is a draft of my letter;
Subject: Response to Travel Irregularity Notice





Dear Sir/Madam,





I am writing in response to the letter dated 26 February 2025 regarding my travel from York to Middlesbrough on 18 February 2025. I sincerely apologize for the mistake regarding my Railcard.





At the time of travel, I was unaware that my Railcard had expired. I purchased my ticket in good faith, believing that my Railcard was still valid, I even showed evidence of booking a ticket and how the Railcard automatically activated without notification. This was an honest oversight, and I regret any inconvenience caused.
When travelling I fully believed I had paid the correct fare and have never intended to evade the correct fare for my journey. To correct my actions, I have renewed my railcard so that my actions are not repeated in the future.





I fully understand the importance of following railway regulations and ensuring that I travel with a valid ticket. I would like to resolve this matter as soon as possible and am willing to pay any outstanding fare or penalty and the costs you have incurred in investigating this matter to settle the issue and avoid legal proceedings.





Please let me know the next steps I should take. I appreciate your time in reviewing my response.
 
Last edited:

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,023
Location
Up the creek
You might be advised to remove the reference number while it is available for all to see on the forum. Remember to put it back in the final copy.
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,306
I would like to resolve this matter as soon as possible and am willing to pay any outstanding fare or penalty to settle the issue and avoid legal proceedings.
Realistically, the railway will also be looking for the costs of their investigation - think £150 or so. It might be better to recognise this and say something like
I would like to resolve this matter as soon as possible and am willing to pay any outstanding fare or penalty and the costs you have incurred in investigating this matter to settle the issue and avoid legal proceedings.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,269
Ok, thank you for that clarification.

Here is a draft of my letter;
Subject: Response to Travel Irregularity Notice





Dear Sir/Madam,





I am writing in response to the letter dated 26 February 2025 regarding my travel from York to Middlesbrough on 18 February 2025. I sincerely apologize for the mistake regarding my Railcard.





At the time of travel, I was unaware that my Railcard had expired. I purchased my ticket in good faith, believing that my Railcard was still valid. This was an honest oversight, and I regret any inconvenience caused. To correct my actions, I have renewed my railcard so that my actions are not repeated in the future.





I fully understand the importance of following railway regulations and ensuring that I travel with a valid ticket. I would like to resolve this matter as soon as possible and am willing to pay any outstanding fare or penalty to settle the issue and avoid legal proceedings.





Please let me know the next steps I should take. I appreciate your time in reviewing my response.
add something somewhere to make it 100% clear that this was not deliberate evasion eg say

'When travelling I fully believed I had paid the correct fare and have never intended to evade the correct fare for my journey'
 

grace mac

Member
Joined
18 Feb 2025
Messages
6
Location
Middlesborough
Done

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Realistically, the railway will also be looking for the costs of their investigation - think £150 or so. It might be better to recognise this and say something like
Done

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hi, should I go ahead and send the mail?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hi, should I go ahead and send the mail?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Here is a draft of my letter;
Subject: Response to Travel Irregularity Notice





Dear Sir/Madam,





I am writing in response to the letter dated 26 February 2025 regarding my travel from York to Middlesbrough on 18 February 2025. I sincerely apologize for the mistake regarding my Railcard.





At the time of travel, I was unaware that my Railcard had expired. I purchased my ticket in good faith, believing that my Railcard was still valid, I even showed evidence of booking a ticket and how the Railcard automatically activated without notification. This was an honest oversight, and I regret any inconvenience caused.
When travelling I fully believed I had paid the correct fare and have never intended to evade the correct fare for my journey. To correct my actions, I have renewed my railcard so that my actions are not repeated in the future.





I fully understand the importance of following railway regulations and ensuring that I travel with a valid ticket. I would like to resolve this matter as soon as possible and am willing to pay any outstanding fare or penalty and the costs you have incurred in investigating this matter to settle the issue and avoid legal proceedings.





Please let me know the next steps I should take. I appreciate your time in reviewing my response.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top