• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travel from Germany to Poland with change in Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamWW

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2012
Messages
6,022
I wonder if anyone can help me here?

I'm looking at getting a ticket in advance for a journey which involves a DB regional train to Berlin and then a direct train to Gdansk

DB is offering through tickets (though amusingly a test booking for tomorrow is offering a Sparpreis for nearly 4 Euros more than a Flexpreis).

If PKP Intercity will offer a through ticket I can't find out how to do it.

Would I be right in thinking that if somehow DB were to let me down (hard to imagine, I know) and I missed the connection in Berlin, if I bought a through ticket I'd have the right to use it on a later train, but not if I booked separately?

(I don't know which will work out cheaper when reservations open, though PKP does have the advantage of letting me choose my seat).
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2006
Messages
6,727
Location
Milton Keynes
If you have a through ticket in Germany, and you miss your connection, just go to the ServicePoint in the station to sort it
 

AdamWW

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2012
Messages
6,022
If you have a through ticket in Germany, and you miss your connection, just go to the ServicePoint in the station to sort it

That was my understanding.

But maybe not with two separate tickets?

Though I suppose anyone with the 49 Euro ticket wouldn't really want to pay twice for the regional leg just to get that protection.
 

duesselmartin

Established Member
Joined
18 Jan 2014
Messages
2,161
Location
Duisburg, Germany
DB does state that with Deutschlandticket you dont have rights to compensation if a connection ( ie long distance train) is missed. So you make sure you have large buffer.
 

dutchflyer

Established Member
Joined
17 Oct 2013
Messages
1,550
You forgot to mention an essential item: date-around when. PKP for INland only opens 30 days advance-and sometimes even later, and for INTernational, with luck, perhaps, maybe from 2 month/60 days advance. I see more&more that people worry about ´full´ trains long before even bookings open.
Also various other traveller forums on trains/railways all mention problems with the in summer obligatory REServations for about all INTERnational trains from DE=Germany.
For peace of mind-and perhaps also saving an odd€, you might try to book/REServe on PKP-intercity FROM Rzepin=1st stop in PL and add a full price normal ticket from B-erlin or wherever you board that train. It might also be helpful for advice to indicate from (around) where in DE the whole trip starts. IMHO delays in the old DDR=Now East Germany are far less as in the west (had myself again some horrible night last week on one of the last days of my InterRail-also as DÜsseldorf-Köln is currently closed for bridge-repairs)
 

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2014
Messages
2,965
If PKP Intercity will offer a through ticket I can't find out how to do it.

They don't, unless you buy from an international ticket office. You could go through Polrail who can probably do the through journey with reservations, but at a premium.
 

AdamWW

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2012
Messages
6,022
They don't, unless you buy from an international ticket office. You could go through Polrail who can probably do the through journey with reservations, but at a premium.

So probably just simpler to book through DB then.

Also various other traveller forums on trains/railways all mention problems with the in summer obligatory REServations for about all INTERnational trains from DE=Germany.
For peace of mind-and perhaps also saving an odd€, you might try to book/REServe on PKP-intercity FROM Rzepin=1st stop in PL and add a full price normal ticket from B-erlin or wherever you board that train. It might also be helpful for advice to indicate from (around) where in DE the whole trip starts.

How does splitting at the border give more peace of mind?

I would have thought a single through ticket would be the "safest" option.

The trip starts fairly near Berlin - it's just a one hour regional journey.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top