• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travel Disruption Oxenholme yesterday - Refund

Status
Not open for further replies.

323235

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2007
Messages
2,127
Location
North East Cheshire
Hi Folks,

Yesterday I had the following tickets and itinary however due to the fatality near Tebay , my train was cancelled and the next available service looking at Realtime trains was 2 hours later which was too late for my plans therefore I abandoned my journey at Preston and went back to Nelson where I started.

I am however unsure what to do with my tickets however and need advice.

Ticket 1 - Nelson - Dundee Advance £13.20 VTWC & Connextions Advance Single- Purchased from EMT
0626 NEL - PRE (Northern)
0753 PRE - HYM (VTWC Service)
1033 HYM - DEE (VTEC Service)

Ticket 2 Dundee - Glasgow Queen Street £10.95 Scotrail Only Advance Single Purchased from EMT

1454 DEE - GLQ

Ticket 3 Glasgow Central - Nelson TPE & Connections £7.10 Advance Single Purchased from TPE Online

1709 GLC - PRE
2000 PRE - NEL


Advice please on who I should send them back to - All to retailer or Ticket 1 and Ticket 3 to Virgin Trains as I travelled Nelson - Preston - Nelson

I've never been in this position and would like to avoid any long drawn out passing the buck by knowing who should be dealing with them.

Thanks
Carl
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,445
Location
Yorkshire
I think, if you were advised abandoning your journey and effectively choosing not to travel was given as an option at Preston, then as you abandoned your journey quite early on, you should be entitled to a refund. This would be straightforward if all bought from the same retailer (and especially so if it was the operator whose trains were disrupted), but in this case that would potentially be problematical and TPE may require some convincing.

Alternatively you could seek compensation from Virgin Trains for a delay, assuming you would have ended up being around 2 hours late at your final destination, however technically this would only apply to the outward portion, even if the delay was over 2 hours, because holders of 2 x singles are not treated as well as holders of a return. In practice though, Virgin may be generous and compensate based on both portions.

I am not entirely sure which of these potential avenues would be most beneficial to you, nor am I sure which is most appropriate for this scenario. If I was in this situation, I'd perhaps ask Virgin Trains for their advice before proceeding.
 

323235

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2007
Messages
2,127
Location
North East Cheshire
Yes I think I will go to Virgin as it is likely to be the quickest solution and I will still have time to go to TPE / EMT if they say they won't pay out for all of them.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I spoke to Ally on live chat @ Virgin Trains as my email to customer.relations wouldn't send apart from an email with the word test. She told me to send all the tickets in the post with a note that my journey was abandoned at Preston. She seemed to accept that it was an abandoned journey.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top