sprinterguy
Veteran Member
I think the future of the Caledonian Sleepers is reasonably secure within the operational lifespan of the rolling stock. Beyond that, I seriously doubt that the sleeper service will remain in the form that we see now. The sleeper network was much more extensive in the eighties to justify a new build of mark 3 sleeper stock, and even then many of those new sleeper vehicles saw very little use as the overnight Intercity network contracted in the late eighties. Plus, the rail network is so fragmented under privatisation that it is highly unlikely that the two remaining sleeper operations would specify a standard type of rolling stock at the same time, unlike how things were done under BR.Im suprised it has lasted this long after Privatisation really, it was only a matter of time before it was withdrawn.
Luckily I have already been able to travel to both Lowland destinations.
I think that it'll require a much more entrepreneurial approach to justify retention of sleeper services beyond the lifespan of the mark 2 and mark 3s when they account for such a small operation. Personally, I see the possibility for a fleet of EMUs as part of the West Coast franchise that would be a roughly 50:50 mix of seated accomodation and four berth couchettes (divided down the middle with a curtain): During the day, the seated accomodation would form the standard class section of the train, and the bunks in the couchettes would fold into the walls, two to each side, to reveal first class accomodation in compartments. This would ensure maximum utility from the new sleeper sets.
