• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TransPennine Trains - Trainee Driver Recruitment Discussion

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
Yes just had the same, pleased it's not a full on rejection, and probably wouldn't have been a great time to do the course as my wife has our baby on the way but a shame nonetheless.

Hopefully they do as they've said and get in touch later in the year!

Best of luck to those that were successful.
Mine was due end of the month so was fretting, but she arrived 4 weeks early last week. So I'm now a bit miffed.

Good luck in both regards!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mp123

New Member
Joined
9 Jan 2025
Messages
4
Location
Manchester
Just had my rejection email come through after doing paper tests last week. That's 1 lifeline down for me.

Good luck to those still waiting.
 

LU2NR

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2025
Messages
28
Location
Lancs
Mine was due end of the month so was fretting, but she arrived 4 weeks early last week. So I'm now a bit miffed.

Good luck in both regards!
Congrats. Amazing news. Extra motivation for when you do inevitably become a train driver.

Same email. Good luck all. Keep going and God Bless.
 

camc2k

Member
Joined
21 Jul 2025
Messages
8
Location
Newcastle
Just got an email invitation for the second stage of the assessment which is the computer tests, good luck everyone
 

batchy2005

New Member
Joined
8 Jun 2024
Messages
2
Location
York
Just got an email invitation for the second stage of the assessment which is the computer tests,

Just got an email invitation for the second stage of the assessment which is the computer tests, good luck everyone
Congratulations. Would you be willing to share if you can how far you got on the tests or how well you think you did to assist the ones that didn't get through as something to aim for !
 

camc2k

Member
Joined
21 Jul 2025
Messages
8
Location
Newcastle
Congratulations. Would you be willing to share if you can how far you got on the tests or how well you think you did to assist the ones that didn't get through as something to aim for !
I had previously done it for Nexus so had understanding where I went wrong which was the group bourdon test, I did buy some packs from railprep to help me with the dots, and to be honest I felt like once I practised with the dots the real test was a lot easier, I was getting around 8-10 lines each page done, also I did feel like I didn’t do to well on TRP1 which was the rules passage and the 18 questions, but on the dials I got around 30 done which I felt I done well in, which also I feel could’ve bumped up the overall TRP score up.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Me too!

Good luck!!
Congratulations good luck!
 

batchy2005

New Member
Joined
8 Jun 2024
Messages
2
Location
York
I had previously done it for Nexus so had understanding where I went wrong which was the group bourdon test, I did buy some packs from railprep to help me with the dots, and to be honest I felt like once I practised with the dots the real test was a lot easier, I was getting around 8-10 lines each page done, also I did feel like I didn’t do to well on TRP1 which was the rules passage and the 18 questions, but on the dials I got around 30 done which I felt I done well in, which also I feel could’ve bumped up the overall TRP score up.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Congratulations good luck!
Great thanks for sharing good luck in the other tests
 

longbigtoes

Member
Joined
30 Jul 2025
Messages
19
Location
Manchester
So I've had an email today saying there's not enough spaces for me to do testing right now but will be kept on file for testing later in the year or next year.

Not ideal, but at least it's not a rejection eh!

Anyone else received this?
Interestingly after completing stage 1 for Piccadilly I then received this from Preston. I then got invited to stage 2, so looks like different depots are running it independently.
 

Bandit_David

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2023
Messages
25
Location
Lancashire
Has anyone completed the computer and MMI psychometrics? How did you find it if so?
Found the ATAVT (traffic images) the hardest. Practice as much as you can with it as the images are on for probably just under a second...
WAFV, try not to get distracted with your thoughts, I made sure (I know it sounds ridiculous) to blink once or twice when the grey square went off. 30 minutes staring at a screen is a long time...
2 handed, be smooth, if you're taking too long, the ball becomes jerky and jumpy and will make you make more mistakes
 
Last edited:

GolfRomeo19

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2025
Messages
9
Location
Newcastle
Found the ATAVT (traffic images) the hardest.
WAFV, try not to get distracted with your thoughts, I made sure (I know it sounds ridiculous) to blink once or twice when the grey square went off. 30 minutes staring at a screen is a long time...
2 handed, be smooth, if you're taking too long, the ball becomes jerky and jumpy and will make you make more mistakes
Did you make the MMI? I’ve heard that is particularly bothersome?
 

Bandit_David

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2023
Messages
25
Location
Lancashire
Yeah, did the MMI as well.
It's good in a sense that they give you the 6 questions prior.
Have a look at the MMI post on the forum as that gives you lots of questions they might cover and I made sure I had strong examples that covered multiple questions so it didn't really matter what we were asked.
They might dig a bit deeper during the interview though.
"How do you feel if there are no passengers on your service?" Think there were looking at how I found working on my own...

Also, they have your sheet in the interview with you if you need to just remind yourself.
 

Bandit_David

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2023
Messages
25
Location
Lancashire
Any updates on anyone progressing to the next stage? For an Autumn start it’s going to look tight for most people
Still waiting email for result of MMI. Someone said the Driver Manager at the depot I applied to was off last week so might be waiting till back end of this week...
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
Still waiting email for result of MMI. Someone said the Driver Manager at the depot I applied to was off last week so might be waiting till back end of this week...
It's the recruitment team who will contact you. Any delay is possibly down to organising DMI dates
 

lightningz

Member
Joined
18 Mar 2015
Messages
15
Had my DMI invite through this afternoon for York. Thought I'd messed up the MMI, so huge relief.

Ah, just had the knock back following my DMI. Still, chuffed to have gotten this far on the first go around.
 
Last edited:

liampeo

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2025
Messages
5
Location
York
Had my DMI invite through this afternoon for York. Thought I'd messed up the MMI, so huge relief.
I would assume those who've yet to hear anything after the initial phase of online questions/assessments are likely to have been unsuccessful if others are progressing to the next phase at York? It is coming up to the 12 week period.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
I would assume those who've yet to hear anything after the initial phase of online questions/assessments are likely to have been unsuccessful if others are progressing to the next phase at York? It is coming up to the 12 week period.
That's not usually how it works, you're only truly out when you receive a rejection email.

There will be at least 1 more wave through testing etc but the last email mentioned "through 2026"
 

liampeo

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2025
Messages
5
Location
York
That's not usually how it works, you're only truly out when you receive a rejection email.

There will be at least 1 more wave through testing etc but the last email mentioned "through 2026"
Oh well that's actually really useful to know that there will definitely be a "thank you, but no thank you" mail.

I know there's a huge demand for these roles and I've been checking in weekly to make sure I hadn't missed anything. Shall keep crossing the toes and fingers, thank you for the reply.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
Oh well that's actually really useful to know that there will definitely be a "thank you, but no thank you" mail.

I know there's a huge demand for these roles and I've been checking in weekly to make sure I hadn't missed anything. Shall keep crossing the toes and fingers, thank you for the reply.
I can't guarantee that there will be an email, it does seem some don't ever get a response.

Can always login to the recruitment site and check the status of your application and any emails that have been sent.
 

Top