• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TransPennine Trains - Trainee Driver Recruitment Discussion

goredan

New Member
Joined
18 Jul 2025
Messages
2
Location
Preston
I did my tests for Preston and fortunately I know someone inside, he said I scored very high and will no doubt progress, lets hope!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
wouldnt call it a leak, he didnt say the specific numbers
Pretty sure the staff would know that looking up test results for someone they know is not acceptable.

Anyway, people will know for certain in the next week or so
 

James92182

Member
Joined
17 Mar 2023
Messages
15
Location
Preston
When did you sit your tests?
I’m waiting to hear back from Preston
I didn’t sit anything for this specific application - just the initial app., ai interview and data error checking test. Only received the rejection email this afternoon. A couple years ago i sat and passed psychometrics with Avanti. Who knows whether that played a part in considering me…

Very best of luck to you!
 

ayaz2001

Member
Joined
9 Mar 2023
Messages
152
Location
Blackburn
Pretty sure the staff would know that looking up test results for someone they know is not acceptable.

Anyway, people will know for certain in the next week or so
results get released as soon as theyre marked, for the second stage they tell u right after uve finished them bc the marking process is done by the computer.
 
Joined
24 Mar 2025
Messages
6
Location
Hertfordshire
I did my tests for Preston and fortunately I know someone inside, he said I scored very high and will no doubt progress, lets hope!
Are you sure about this? I doubt anyone would let you know how you’ve done other than pass/fail as no one else I’ve heard of has seemed to have gotten more than that?
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
results get released as soon as theyre marked, for the second stage they tell u right after uve finished them bc the marking process is done by the computer.
Well yes, that's obvious to anyone who has sat them given you then sit an MMI if you pass
 

Fokx

Established Member
Joined
19 Jul 2019
Messages
1,635
Location
Liverpool
Well yes, that's obvious to anyone who has sat them given you then sit an MMI if you pass
And to add to that you actually don't find out at the end of the Stage 2 wether you pass or fail as the MMI forms part of the stage 2 assessments and has to be independently marked afterwards.

You generally find out a few weeks later with an email rejection or request for DMI interview
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
And to add to that you actually don't find out at the end of the Stage 2 wether you pass or fail as the MMI forms part of the stage 2 assessments and has to be independently marked afterwards.

You generally find out a few weeks later with an email rejection or request for DMI interview
Well you do, because if you fail any of the 2nd stage computer tests you will be told your day is done and not sit the MMI.

This is also the case if you meet standard but not the enhanced score, if the TOC requires so.

During both of my testing, nearly half sat 2nd stage but didn't sit MMI for instance.
 

Fokx

Established Member
Joined
19 Jul 2019
Messages
1,635
Location
Liverpool
Well you do, because if you fail any of the 2nd stage computer tests you will be told your day is done and not sit the MMI.

This is also the case if you meet standard but not the enhanced score, if the TOC requires so.

During both of my testing, nearly half sat 2nd stage but didn't sit MMI for instance.
The MMI is part of Stage 2 of the OPC assessments, rather than a separate stage.
 

NorthernTech

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2021
Messages
744
Location
Uk
The MMI is part of Stage 2 of the OPC assessments, rather than a separate stage.
You are correct, the MMI is part of the stage 2 Psychometric tests, but as SCDR says you only get taken forward to sit and have the MMI if you passed the computer tests. This has been the case with 2 companies I sat the tests with. The first one literally said, if we take you through to the next part (the MMI) then you will have passed the other tests (computer tests). The second company was a full day of tests, paper tests firsts then computer. With candidates being removed if they failed at key points.

I was the last person left, the only one doing the MMI.
 

omalleys

Member
Joined
30 Jun 2025
Messages
24
Location
Manchester
Well you do, because if you fail any of the 2nd stage computer tests you will be told your day is done and not sit the MMI.

This is also the case if you meet standard but not the enhanced score, if the TOC requires so.

During both of my testing, nearly half sat 2nd stage but didn't sit MMI for instance.
When I say psychometric last week we was allowed to sit all the tests including computer tests and then told the results. It was because there was only 3 people sitting the tests. Trainer said if it was a full class, they'd mark each test and if you failed one you'd leave straight after.

Worked out lucky for me because I didn't pass the very first test (group bourdon) to enhanced, but was allowed to sit everything. It meant I passed to national level. If it was a full class I'd have had a fail on my record.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
When I say psychometric last week we was allowed to sit all the tests including computer tests and then told the results. It was because there was only 3 people sitting the tests. Trainer said if it was a full class, they'd mark each test and if you failed one you'd leave straight after.

Worked out lucky for me because I didn't pass the very first test (group bourdon) to enhanced, but was allowed to sit everything. It meant I passed to national level. If it was a full class I'd have had a fail on my record.
You have a fail for TPE, not a fail for those TOCs who accept standard level test results.

Interesting that you sat all testing in a single day as that's not what it says the process is on the application. So you sat paper and computer testing but then they marked it and said sorry, no MMI for you?
 

Arne

Member
Joined
11 Jun 2025
Messages
29
Location
Blaydon
When I say psychometric last week we was allowed to sit all the tests including computer tests and then told the results. It was because there was only 3 people sitting the tests. Trainer said if it was a full class, they'd mark each test and if you failed one you'd leave straight after.

Worked out lucky for me because I didn't pass the very first test (group bourdon) to enhanced, but was allowed to sit everything. It meant I passed to national level. If it was a full class I'd have had a fail on my record.
This was the same set up I had, this was for Northern. 4 of us, we did all the paper tests, had a little break, and then did all the computer tests. Then it was results. 2 went home (one similar to you, passed everything but only GB to national, and one failed the flash photo test). Me and the other fella then had our MMIs. Was a looooooong day!
 

omalleys

Member
Joined
30 Jun 2025
Messages
24
Location
Manchester
You have a fail for TPE, not a fail for those TOCs who accept standard level test results.

Interesting that you sat all testing in a single day as that's not what it says the process is on the application. So you sat paper and computer testing but then they marked it and said sorry, no MMI for you?
I should have specified, but this was for Northern. I only commented because it may depend on how many people are sitting the tests on the day how they mark them. That's exactly what the trainer said that it depends on how many are in the classroom.

I sat the paper tests, had a 10 minute break and then sat the computer tests with no break. Once completed they taken about 15-20 minutes and spoke to use 1 by 1 to let us know the results.

I have to wait a year to reapply with Northern but I will only have to sit the group bourdon. If I pass with another TOC to enhanced before then, I can reapply to Northern with enhanced.
 

Jaytee1977

Member
Joined
2 Aug 2022
Messages
29
Location
Scarborough
Has anyone that applied for the Scarborough position heard anything back yet. It's been over a month since I did my online assessment
 

mzlphoto

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2025
Messages
9
Location
West Yorkshire
Has anyone that applied for the Scarborough position heard anything back yet. It's been over a month since I did my online assessment
There were a couple of Scarborough applicants during stage 1 OPC earlier this week, but I know they've got thousands of applicants across the board so they may well be running the whole application process in stages
 

Jaytee1977

Member
Joined
2 Aug 2022
Messages
29
Location
Scarborough
No I've heard nothing mate, hoping no news is good news and that we'll be invited to psychometrics soon though.
I'm hoping it's before October as the psychometric tests that I passed at enhanced last time are still valid until then haha

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

There were a couple of Scarborough applicants during stage 1 OPC earlier this week, but I know they've got thousands of applicants across the board so they may well be running the whole application process in stages
 

chalkijr

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2023
Messages
188
Location
Crewe
I'm hoping it's before October as the psychometric tests that I passed at enhanced last time are still valid until then haha

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
I'm pretty sure they have to be valid at the time of starting the actual training.

So not to sound negative but I think you would have to do them again if the course doesn't start before then.

5 years sounds like a long time for the validity of the tests but that time soon starts to dwindle when you are waiting in a talent pool, or waiting for another vacancy to apply for :(
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
So I've had an email today saying there's not enough spaces for me to do testing right now but will be kept on file for testing later in the year or next year.

Not ideal, but at least it's not a rejection eh!

Anyone else received this?
 

johnmcjohnson

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2024
Messages
12
Location
Newcastle upon tyne
I haven’t got time to look through all 25 pages to see if this has already been answered, but…

I have already passed my driver psychometrics (within the last 3 years), which ive informed TPE of, and just had what I’m guessing must be a generic email saying that the assessment course for Autumn is full and they’ll contact me regarding attending a course later this year.

My question is, is the assessment they’re talking about the driver psychometrics that I’ve already passed or another assessment they do?
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
I haven’t got time to look through all 25 pages to see if this has already been answered, but…

I have already passed my driver psychometrics (within the last 3 years), which ive informed TPE of, and just had what I’m guessing must be a generic email saying that the assessment course for Autumn is full and they’ll contact me regarding attending a course later this year.

My question is, is the assessment they’re talking about the driver psychometrics that I’ve already passed or another assessment they do?
That's why there's a search function

But yes, this is the standard set of OPC driver psychometric tests.

They may have checked your scores and they are not to the required standards, or you haven't sat one of the tests they use.

They may also have not looked to see if you have already passed the testing as they have decided that they have selected enough for a first batch of applicants to progress.
 

will1989

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2025
Messages
60
Location
Scarborough
So I've had an email today saying there's not enough spaces for me to do testing right now but will be kept on file for testing later in the year or next year.

Not ideal, but at least it's not a rejection eh!

Anyone else received this?
Yes just had the same, pleased it's not a full on rejection, and probably wouldn't have been a great time to do the course as my wife has our baby on the way but a shame nonetheless.

Hopefully they do as they've said and get in touch later in the year!

Best of luck to those that were successful.
 

Top