• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TransPennine Trains - Trainee Driver Recruitment Discussion

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
Ahh fair enough.

I do feel TPE are doing a fair job of balancing their recruitment of drivers via internal, qualified and off the street.
Which is a good thing. Quali positions seem to have disappeared with some TOCs. And if you don't give internal a decent shot it can destroy morale.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

irish_rail

On Moderation
Joined
30 Oct 2013
Messages
4,527
Location
Plymouth
Which is a good thing. Quali positions seem to have disappeared with some TOCs. And if you don't give internal a decent shot it can destroy morale.
Actually TPE qualified recruitment has more or less stopped in past 6 months or so with one or two isolated exceptions.
 

Wave01

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2022
Messages
29
Location
Scotland
How long have TPE had their own version ?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


But you've just had an internal pass out this month at Piccadilly ?
Since at least the start of 2022. It’s called TRFS (trainability for safety) as opposed to TRP1 (trainability for rules and procedures part 1). I’m not sure if tpe still do trfs as I believe the passage you read for trp1 has changed from the glop passage to something else so tpe may have went back to doing trp1
 

Jacko1986

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2025
Messages
18
Location
York
What date did you apply/do the online test?
I think i did the online test on the 27th or 28th of June

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

It's psychometric paper tests. There are no group interviews.

Paper tests - computer tests - MMI - Interview
Is it all in one day? The assessment slot are only for about 5 hours.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
I think i did the online test on the 27th or 28th of June

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Is it all in one day? The assessment slot are only for about 5 hours.
No, I believe TPE (like most) split testing over 2 separate days.

You only get invited to sit the computer tests and MMI if you pass the paper test day.

Then DMI separate to that also.
 

Lg_

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2023
Messages
44
Location
Lancashire
No, I believe TPE (like most) split testing over 2 separate days.

You only get invited to sit the computer tests and MMI if you pass the paper test day.

Then DMI separate to that also.
Unless it’s changed for this recruitment cycle TPE do all the tests in one day. The four paper tests are normally first, then if you pass you’ll stay to do the computer tests finishing the day with the MMI.
 

MH117

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2024
Messages
55
Location
sheffield
2 years ago they did the psychometrics over 2 separate days (the ones I did) unsure if some people did it all in one day
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
Unless it’s changed for this recruitment cycle TPE do all the tests in one day. The four paper tests are normally first, then if you pass you’ll stay to do the computer tests finishing the day with the MMI.
Oh thanks for correcting me, all the TOCs I've been through the process with do it over 2 separate dates. Bit intense to do it one the single day IMO.

Edit: As copied from the application, intimates 2 separate invites.

Phase 1 Online questions and application form, Smart Chat online interview questions, A measured concentration test (an online assessment), and local driver management shortlisting* If you pass Phase 1, you will be invited to Phase 2 (Limited spaces available)

Phase 2 Trainee Driver Psychometric Assessments - Stage 1, if successful you will be invited to the next stage

Phase 3 Trainee Driver Psychometric Assessments – Stage 2, if successful you will be invited to the next stage

Phase 4 Trainee Driver interview with members of the Driver Management team

Phase 5 Medical - For health and safety reasons you will have to achieve a minimum medical criteria, including specific visual and hearing standards.
 

Jacko1986

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2025
Messages
18
Location
York
I was going to say, it would help a tough ask to fit in all paper and computer tests in 5 hours.
 

Kems91

Member
Joined
30 Jun 2025
Messages
13
Location
Manchester, UK
How often do TPE do recruitment drives, I know us rejected folk have to wait 6 months before we reapply so the question is will they open up for applicants within the 6 months or is it like a yearly thing?
 

KaneLeb

Member
Joined
9 Jul 2025
Messages
60
Location
ECML
Newcastle here - just had rejection through
I've just had a rejection email through from Newcastle too. Best of luck to those remaining! I don't see this as all being lost, as it's my first application for such a role it's gave me a lot of insight. I'll definitely be trying again in the future.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
I've just had a rejection email through from Newcastle too. Best of luck to those remaining! I don't see this as all being lost, as it's my first application for such a role it's gave me a lot of insight. I'll definitely be trying again in the future.
Sorry to hear that. That's a great attitude to have!
 

Colly103

Member
Joined
27 Jul 2025
Messages
51
Location
Durham
Newcastle - rejected too! Gutted. I know you can’t reapply within 6 months but is there a limit? This was my first attempt so hoping I may be considered in the future. Best of luck to those remaining
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
Newcastle - rejected too! Gutted. I know you can’t reapply within 6 months but is there a limit? This was my first attempt so hoping I may be considered in the future. Best of luck to those remaining
No limits for this part of the application. Apply for as many positions that come up
 

iwasyoungonce

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2019
Messages
288
Location
uk
How often do TPE do recruitment drives, I know us rejected folk have to wait 6 months before we reapply so the question is will they open up for applicants within the 6 months or is it like a yearly thing?
Plenty of other roles within TPE and the experience will only improve your chances when trainee driver roles come up.
 

chalkijr

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2023
Messages
188
Location
Crewe
So @Colly103 if I was you, I would just keep applying for these trainee driver roles. You don't need to lower your standards. But you do need to understand it's an extremely competitive process, and can be frustrating at times. But all worth it in the end if you get job ofcourse. Just apply, apply, apply.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Top