• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TransPennine Trains - Trainee Driver Recruitment Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CGS

Member
Joined
12 Sep 2011
Messages
99
Newcastle is a 4 on 4 off rota for drivers, 802 only, sign Edinburgh - Leeds, Heaton Depot and then Methley Diversion.

Earliest start 0300, latest finish 0150
It's not 4 on 4 off, 4 day weeks but sometimes you can work 5 consecutive days for example going from 1 week into another.
 

ro11along

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2025
Messages
10
Location
East Riding
Hi Guys
New to the forum

I've submitted my application form and received my 5 AI questions, Which I have competed this morning.
Should I have received any other online assessments as in the 'measured concentration test'
Or is it a case of waiting for them to sift through my 5 AI interview questions before they sent anything out?

Look forward to your help
 
Last edited:

Azzer88

Member
Joined
9 Mar 2023
Messages
93
Location
Liverpool
Hi Guys
New to the forum

I've submitted my application form and received my 5 AI questions, Which I have competed this morning.
Should I have received any other online assessments as in the 'measured concentration test'
Or is it a case of waiting for them to sift through my 5 AI interview questions before they sent anything out?

Look forward to your help

Regards
Paul
Sift through them error checking test if you’re successful with initial application.
 
Joined
8 Feb 2021
Messages
1,062
Location
Manchester
It's not 4 on 4 off, 4 day weeks but sometimes you can work 5 consecutive days for example going from 1 week into another.
Unless it’s changed in the few days since I was in the Newcastle messroom looking at the rota, it’s 4/4 at Newcastle. It’s unique to that depot
 

richnell

Member
Joined
30 Jun 2025
Messages
8
Location
stockton-on-tees
Hi Guys
New to the forum

I've submitted my application form and received my 5 AI questions, Which I have competed this morning.
Should I have received any other online assessments as in the 'measured concentration test'
Or is it a case of waiting for them to sift through my 5 AI interview questions before they sent anything out?

Look forward to your help

Regards
Paul
My email was 2 days after to complete the next stage.
 

tulip

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2025
Messages
50
Location
north west
Hi Guys
New to the forum

I've submitted my application form and received my 5 AI questions, Which I have competed this morning.
Should I have received any other online assessments as in the 'measured concentration test'
Or is it a case of waiting for them to sift through my 5 AI interview questions before they sent anything out?

Look forward to your help

Regards
Paul
I applied on Friday and got the test email through that evening. I think quite a few did then though so it was just luck for me that I got it so quick. Good luck!
 

DominikM

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2021
Messages
56
Location
Newcastle
Are they known to send invitations to the next stage on the weekend? Did my 5 questions yesterday afternoon, still waiting.
 

omalleys

Member
Joined
30 Jun 2025
Messages
24
Location
Manchester
Hi Guys
New to the forum

I've submitted my application form and received my 5 AI questions, Which I have competed this morning.
Should I have received any other online assessments as in the 'measured concentration test'
Or is it a case of waiting for them to sift through my 5 AI interview questions before they sent anything out?

Look forward to your help

Regards
Paul
I've completed the ai questions and had the personality insights report back which all seems super positive.

I haven't received the error thing that people have mentioned though. Unsure if it's because I applied later than everyone else or if I've just been binned off. I applied on Tuesday and received nothing since
 

Azzer88

Member
Joined
9 Mar 2023
Messages
93
Location
Liverpool
I've completed the ai questions and had the personality insights report back which all seems super positive.

I haven't received the error thing that people have mentioned though. Unsure if it's because I applied later than everyone else or if I've just been binned off. I applied on Tuesday and received nothing since
5 days later I received the error checking test email. After AI interview.
 

Lengthman

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
35
Yes, just for the first 8 weeks of training and then it's straight on to full pay. I don't know why TPE started doing this as no other TOC does it.
There was a rumour that the wording on the contract was incorrect and management signed it off without properly checking it.

We are the only company with this type of contract for trainees, so could well be true.
 

DominikM

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2021
Messages
56
Location
Newcastle
Anyone know what a normal day for a Newcastle based driver looks like? Always thought the stretch from Newcastle-Leeds was unusually short, would it be 2 round trips per day?
 

Lighteight123

Member
Joined
14 Feb 2024
Messages
36
Location
NorthWest
Do you know if it’s possible to apply for multiple locations - I am within commute for 2? There’s nothing saying you can’t, but my experience with some recruitment portals is that they aren’t able to have two applications for the same applicant.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,634
Location
Crewe
Do you know if it’s possible to apply for multiple locations - I am within commute for 2? There’s nothing saying you can’t, but my experience with some recruitment portals is that they aren’t able to have two applications for the same applicant.
Normally this is something to bring up at the interview stage, but you could attempt to put in multiple applications.
 

LU2NR

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2025
Messages
28
Location
Lancs
Not yet, I think depending on the area and number of applicants your mileage may vary ? Some people on here did get an unsuccessful email last week I’m sure
Yes must be a fair few applicants to get through and decide who makes it through to the OPC tests (the job ad did say there were limited spots for these)

I’m guessing people who have already passed the OPC’s to enhanced, will have more chance of getting through the sift…

I think the people who applied later in the application window didn’t even get an invite to the online concentration test?
 

MH117

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2024
Messages
55
Location
sheffield
Yes must be a fair few applicants to get through and decide who makes it through to the OPC tests (the job ad did say there were limited spots for these)

I’m guessing people who have already passed the OPC’s to enhanced, will have more chance of getting through the sift…

I think the people who applied later in the application window didn’t even get an invite to the online concentration test?
Often TOC’s don’t even check who has passed the psychometrics until after the sift to give everyone the same chance. I can’t be sure about tpe but it’s something I’ve known happen before
 

LU2NR

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2025
Messages
28
Location
Lancs
Often TOC’s don’t even check who has passed the psychometrics until after the sift to give everyone the same chance. I can’t be sure about tpe but it’s something I’ve known happen before

That’s nice too hear
 

Top