• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TransPennine Trains - Trainee Driver Recruitment Discussion

Joined
16 Jun 2025
Messages
14
Location
LEYLAND
Thanks for your responses all, I'll chase up with an email. Last time I sat and waited when I had a feeling a technical hitch had occurred I missed out because of the delay! Cheers!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MLS8149

New Member
Joined
21 Jun 2024
Messages
3
Location
Teesside
I’ve just applied and been invited to do the online assessments which they state should take around 30 minutes.

What is involved in the tests at this stage, will it be a mini SCAAT, or SJT or something else?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
How many questions in the initial application please that require details answers and not just personal details / cv?
 

tucker86

Member
Joined
22 Jun 2025
Messages
29
Location
preston
To those who've unfortunately received an unsuccessful email, don't let it get you down. Unlike the next stage, you can keep applying and trying. I've previously failed at early stages and I've passed physometric testing twice.

I'm just ****e at interviews lol
Email says we can’t apply again for at least six months

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

To those who've unfortunately received an unsuccessful email, don't let it get you down. Unlike the next stage, you can keep applying and trying. I've previously failed at early stages and I've passed physometric testing twice.

I'm just ****e at interviews lol
Email says we can’t apply again for at least six months
 

NLB

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2025
Messages
6
Location
Lancashire
I also got the unsuccessful email, I will try again when I get the chance.
Good luck to everyone else who is moving forward and don’t let others put you off who are giving negativity to you. It’s better to build your confidence rather than be over confident which can result in serious errors and disaster.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,634
Location
Crewe
Email says we can’t apply again for at least six months

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Email says we can’t apply again for at least six months
For TPE, and that's if they check. I just mean in general, keep applying and you'll get there
 

tulip

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2025
Messages
50
Location
north west
I also got the unsuccessful email, I will try again when I get the chance.
Good luck to everyone else who is moving forward and don’t let others put you off who are giving negativity to you. It’s better to build your confidence rather than be over confident which can result in serious errors and disaster.
Good luck if you decide to apply again in the future.
 

Arne

Member
Joined
11 Jun 2025
Messages
29
Location
Blaydon
Same here for Newcastle. Dodgy IT on Error Test (a couple of internal server errors on the test) but yet to hear back anything. I'll attach the server error message I got on the test
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20250628_112340883.jpg
    PXL_20250628_112340883.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 90

dxb1200

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2025
Messages
15
Location
Newcastle
Same here for Newcastle. Dodgy IT on Error Test (a couple of internal server errors on the test) but yet to hear back anything. I'll attach the server error message I got on the test
I had a similar issue when I first tried loading up the assessment!!! I left it and came back to it an hour later (let me on but with issues advancing between pages).

Unfortunately recruitment have put it down to local network issues and cannot allow me to resubmit another attempt so I’m just having to prey and hope that what I actually managed to complete, along with the rest of my application is good enough
 

jimmysalmon316

New Member
Joined
30 Jun 2025
Messages
3
Location
Manchester
Hey all nice to meet you!

I applied and got the email straight away saying it's with hiring manager so I presume that's goodish news? Just depends on my scores and cv now? This is the furthest I've ever got i'd be over the moon just getting to interview and knowing I was truly in with a shot.

I've applied for Manchester.

Good luck everyone else and sorry to those hi missed out!
 

Azzer88

Member
Joined
9 Mar 2023
Messages
93
Location
Liverpool
Hey all nice to meet you!

I applied and got the email straight away saying it's with hiring manager so I presume that's goodish news? Just depends on my scores and cv now? This is the furthest I've ever got i'd be over the moon just getting to interview and knowing I was truly in with a shot.

I've applied for Manchester.

Good luck everyone else and sorry to those hi missed out!
Good luck. It will be the OPC tests of we pass the last stage (error checking test) then interview stage after OPC tests. I found the error checking very easy and nothing like the stuff when I previously did OPC tests a few years ago (much harder)
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,634
Location
Crewe
Good luck. It will be the OPC tests of we pass the last stage (error checking test) then interview stage after OPC tests. I found the error checking very easy and nothing like the stuff when I previously did OPC tests a few years ago (much harder)
You do get plenty of time with practice materials for the OPC tests though. Wouldn't say it was that much easier, but I didn't find OPC tests that taxing. The MMI was mentally tough though
 

Jordan1991

Member
Joined
25 Sep 2022
Messages
216
Location
Poynton
Hey all nice to meet you!

I applied and got the email straight away saying it's with hiring manager so I presume that's goodish news? Just depends on my scores and cv now? This is the furthest I've ever got i'd be over the moon just getting to interview and knowing I was truly in with a shot.

I've applied for Manchester.

Good luck everyone else and sorry to those hi missed out!
Was there a link to upload a CV on the application? I couldn’t see one anywhere with mine?
 

tucker86

Member
Joined
22 Jun 2025
Messages
29
Location
preston
I had a similar issue when I first tried loading up the assessment!!! I left it and came back to it an hour later (let me on but with issues advancing between pages).

Unfortunately recruitment have put it down to local network issues and cannot allow me to resubmit another attempt so I’m just having to prey and hope that what I actually managed to complete, along with the rest of my application is good enough
When did they tell you that ? Where abouts are you ? Some of us have had the same problems so doubt it’s a local thing unless we are all in Preston
 

dxb1200

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2025
Messages
15
Location
Newcastle
did they tell you that ? Where abouts are you ? Some of us have had the same problems so doubt it’s a local thing unless we are all in Prest
Got the response this morning… they noted that it must have been a local network problem with 2500 tests being issued on the Friday and minimal issues being reported. Fair enough at the end of the day as it may have been my WiFi connection who knows.. just disappointing I couldn’t get a fair crack at it in the end. Newcastle depot though :)
Was there a link to upload a CV on the application? I couldn’t see one anywhere with mine?
I don’t believe so, I couldn’t find anywhere to upload one myself
 

tucker86

Member
Joined
22 Jun 2025
Messages
29
Location
preston
Got the response this morning… they noted that it must have been a local network problem with 2500 tests being issued on the Friday and minimal issues being reported. Fair enough at the end of the day as it may have been my WiFi connection who knows.. just disappointing I couldn’t get a fair crack at it in the end. Newcastle depot though :)

I don’t believe so, I couldn’t find anywhere to upload one myself
If they are admitting that they know there was problems they should let u do it again to have a fair crack
 

Crumbs

Member
Joined
19 Nov 2019
Messages
59
Location
Newcastle
Good luck. It will be the OPC tests of we pass the last stage (error checking test) then interview stage after OPC tests. I found the error checking very easy and nothing like the stuff when I previously did OPC tests a few years ago (much harder)

I’ve passed the OPC tests with a different company to ‘an advanced level’.
Wonder what happens if I’ve passed the error checking with TPE.
 

Lg_

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2023
Messages
44
Location
Lancashire
a

thats the one. Hopefully it’s to the same level TPE require
Enhanced level isn’t a specific pass mark, it is a higher pass then the national standard pass, but every company can set a different enhanced level.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,634
Location
Crewe
Enhanced level isn’t a specific pass mark, it is a higher pass then the national standard pass, but every company can set a different enhanced level.
Indeed, and can also simply mean that they have additional tests rather than higher pass marks. Or both.
 

iwasyoungonce

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2019
Messages
288
Location
uk
TPE have a "higher" pass mark than other companies (only HR and OPC know what that is) all companies can set their own level.

Don't second guess the system
 

Top