• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TransPennine Trains - Trainee Driver Recruitment Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
I did have issues. But I didn’t cry about it. I just worked through it. Traits you’d probably need to have as a train driver when you encounter problems. But if you want to email them for a cry or a loan feel free.
You had to scroll to answer, as has pretty much everyone so far. That's not what people have an issue with, as much as it was annoying. There are many on here where the full page didn't load or the tables haven't loaded etc which obviously has a greater impact on their scoring.

Funnily enough, some of the traits advertised for were friendly and helpful. And I would also add that if you get to drive a train and have a TMS fault or similar, you call fleet and ask for assistance, you don't just work through it, even if you've reset that exact fault a hundred times before.
 

tulip

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2025
Messages
50
Location
north west
I never received an email and it sounds like a very generic email. I’m not worried about it until I get an email telling me otherwise. I feel confident that I have done enough on the assessment and will remain that way until I get told otherwise.

People who didn’t receive the email, don’t throw the towel in just yet and be disheartened you didn’t get one.

It’s potentially based on the depot/station you applied for unless I get told otherwise. Out of those who got this email, which depot/station did you apply to?
I’ve applied Preston. I got the email as soon as the test had finished so I thought it was generic. You’re right, everyone should just wait and see until next lot of emails.
 

tulip

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2025
Messages
50
Location
north west
Seems a lot for Preston how many r they realistically going to take on ? 3 or 4
No idea prob lots applying not on this website. Has anyone ever applied to tpe before? My first time and haven’t a clue what to expect. Glad I got through to the online test
 

Azzer88

Member
Joined
9 Mar 2023
Messages
93
Location
Liverpool
No idea prob lots applying not on this website. Has anyone ever applied to tpe before? My first time and haven’t a clue what to expect. Glad I got through to the online test

No idea prob lots applying not on this website. Has anyone ever applied to tpe before? My first time and haven’t a clue what to expect. Glad I got through to the online test
Don’t worry! will be plenty more tests! That was one of the easy ones.
 

mattybed21

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2025
Messages
53
Location
preston
Seems a lot for Preston how many r they realistically going to take on ? 3 or 4

No idea, but even if they did have three or four vacancies, most of them would get filled by internal candidates. That’s how the railway works these days.
 

Iddy015

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2023
Messages
36
Location
Iddy.150
Not necessarily mate, it is a Sunday. Give it till tomorrow or the day after buddy.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

They will probably take on some more and keep them in the talent pool mate, im a signaller thats what they did for my area when i got the train signaller job, they hired roughly 6 people and some more just for the talent pool.
 
Last edited:

tulip

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2025
Messages
50
Location
north west
Not necessarily mate, it is a Sunday. Give it till tomorrow or the day after buddy.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

They will probably take on some more and keep them in the talent pool mate, im a signaller thats what they did for my area when i got the train signaller job, they hired roughly 6 people and some more just for the talent pool.
I’m so sorry what is the talent pool? How did you find the recruitment for the signaller job?
 

JDAWC

Member
Joined
29 Nov 2023
Messages
87
Location
Newton-Le-Willows
it’s probably only 1 or 2 at Preston. Also guys do note the railway loves to recruit within
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Fokx

Established Member
Joined
19 Jul 2019
Messages
1,635
Location
Liverpool
It’s 1 at Preston. Unless that’s changed.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


I don’t want to dampen anyone’s spirits but this statement is quite true, especially at TPE. The last two cohort of trainees of which there was around 30 drivers in total were all internal. Obviously externals should be taken on if they meet the criteria, but who knows what they’ll do
That's because the last cohort of trainees were internal only vacancies :lol:.

This is the first external advertisement for trainee driver roles for around two years.
 

Iddy015

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2023
Messages
36
Location
Iddy.150
Quick question on the application it says you need to live within 60 minutes, i put in my address which is roughly 2 hours away from Manchester, but i am willing to relocate would that affect my application?
 

tucker86

Member
Joined
22 Jun 2025
Messages
29
Location
preston
Yeah? Preston is a retirement depot so that fact they’re even recruiting a trainee is something in of itself really!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Ah right didn’t even realise:oops: Whoops!
Well that’s toss, so basically at best if you pass everything you will just sit in a talent pool for years praying you get a training spot 1 day but in reality it’s more than likely never going to happen at Preston
 

JDAWC

Member
Joined
29 Nov 2023
Messages
87
Location
Newton-Le-Willows
Well that’s toss, so basically at best if you pass everything you will just sit in a talent pool for years praying you get a training spot 1 day but in reality it’s more than likely never going to happen at Preston
Talent pools are a natural part of the railway unfortunately, and it all depends on the hiring manager and whether they think creating/adding to a talent pool is relevant
 
Last edited by a moderator:

tucker86

Member
Joined
22 Jun 2025
Messages
29
Location
preston
Talent pools are a natural part of the railway unfortunately and it all depends on the hiring manager and whether they think creating/adding to a talent pool is relevant
I hope you are right, the station is only 15 mins from my house, don’t fancy going anywhere else.
 

Jacko1986

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2025
Messages
18
Location
York
I think you have to wait a few days for an invitation to do the concentration test? I am also waiting after doing the first AI bit.

My online portal also says To do 0 Completed 1 - which I believe means we've done the AI bit. Please correct me anyone if I am wrong.
I emailed recruitment and a few hours later they sent a new link and I was able to complete it.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I sure do hope it’s not just one vacancy we are all fighting for at Preston
Don't worry about it. Just do your best, that's all you can do.
 

Azzer88

Member
Joined
9 Mar 2023
Messages
93
Location
Liverpool
We can only just do our best. Luckily I have a good job that I enjoy so won’t be too downhearted if it doesn’t come off. But the little bit of extra money for a train driver would be very good!
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
I sure do hope it’s not just one vacancy we are all fighting for at Preston
These recruitment drives are almost never to fill current vacancies due to the time it takes to hire and then train.

It's common for talent pools to be filled to cover vacancies they expect to have within the next 2 years. That way you can fill all DIs with trainees back to back.
 

tulip

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2025
Messages
50
Location
north west
These recruitment drives are almost never to fill current vacancies due to the time it takes to hire and then train.

It's common for talent pools to be filled to cover vacancies they expect to have within the next 2 years. That way you can fill all DIs with trainees back to back.
I hope this is the case. I’m not expecting to get through this sift. Can always hold out hope.

Now I’m gonna be stalking my emails
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
I hope this is the case. I’m not expecting to get through this sift. Can always hold out hope.

Now I’m gonna be stalking my emails
Hopefully you'll find out first hand that railway recruitment requires patience of a saint! Some bits go super quick, others bits can take months!
 

Top