• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

Tim_UK

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2019
Messages
225
I see that the Head of Steam is closing for a couple of weeks during the blockade, are businesses on railway premises compensated for loss of trade during the works?

I think so. I don't know about the head of steam, but I heard compensation was offered to another business who might have to close. In the end, they found a way to work around.

The ontrack with Tim videos mention that the station substation is being upgraded. And there are some new generators in the car park. No power would make it hard to open a pub. Some temporary toilets in in St Georges square too.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LittleAH

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2018
Messages
1,213
I think so. I don't know about the head of steam, but I heard compensation was offered to another business who might have to close. In the end, they found a way to work around.

The ontrack with Tim videos mention that the station substation is being upgraded. And there are some new generators in the car park. No power would make it hard to open a pub. Some temporary toilets in in St Georges square too.
Not yet is what I was told. Part of the reason the couple running the Newsagents at the station gave it up a few months ago…
 

superkev

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2015
Messages
2,863
Location
west yorkshire
Re Springwood junction. Looking at the latest Sarah and Tim videos work really progressing with allmost all new sleepers and rails in place just awaiting final tamping.
I found this picture of the junction from 1959 when the double track Penistone line was linked to both tunnels into the station. May be of interest.
K
 

Attachments

  • 20260927_110208(1).jpg
    20260927_110208(1).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 158

fishwomp

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2020
Messages
1,323
Location
milton keynes
Re Springwood junction. Looking at the latest Sarah and Tim videos work really progressing with allmost all new sleepers and rails in place just awaiting final tamping.
I found this picture of the junction from 1959 when the double track Penistone line was linked to both tunnels into the station. May be of interest.
K

It seems that the north tunnels are being laid for single track again - and the track is in the centre of the bore. [The Huddersfield south tunnel contains two tracks: the self-contained Penistone line and the westbound Standedge]

Whilst I hadn't expected the north tunnels to be laid with two tracks (ie. early preparation for the next phase of works), I had thought the alignment would have been laid with room for another track to make three going west which is the grand plan up to Standedge. I started looking but couldn't find any useful plans on network rail or the TPU site about this.
 

waverley47

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2015
Messages
852
Whilst I hadn't expected the north tunnels to be laid with two tracks (ie. early preparation for the next phase of works), I had thought the alignment would have been laid with room for another track to make three going west which is the grand plan up to Standedge. I started looking but couldn't find any useful plans on network rail or the TPU site about this

The north bore at Huddersfield is absolutely tiny. It's a miracle there were ever two tracks through there to begin with, and you'd never get two W12 tracks through there in a million years, so it has to be single track down the centre of the bore
 

fishwomp

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2020
Messages
1,323
Location
milton keynes
The north bore at Huddersfield is absolutely tiny. It's a miracle there were ever two tracks through there to begin with, and you'd never get two W12 tracks through there in a million years, so it has to be single track down the centre of the bore
Ah, right - width-wise I take it, otherwise could just dig deeper (??).

Is that the same for either/both of the Gledholt tunnels? Wondering if they plan to start the third track in the cutting, or need to do that west of Gledholt, in the former yard area. Obviously sharing with the Penistone line - whilst that's only two moves per hour - would be a no-no for performance/reliability.
 

waverley47

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2015
Messages
852
Ah, right - width-wise I take it, otherwise could just dig deeper (??).

Both. It's both shorter and narrower, but the ceiling is in the form of a circle, rather than a perfect semi-circle on top of vertical walls.

The circle form means you lose gauging at the 'shoulders' as it comes in, and means you couldn't really just dig out the bottom without hitting the bottom of the tunnel, which is structurally important.

I've attached a few photos which together show the difference in scales quite well, but you only really get the real picture of you're on the ground looking at them.

5014.jpg5015.jpg5016.jpg

[Images show the view towards the southern portals of Huddersfield north bore, left, and Huddersfield south bore, right, and the visible size difference between the two. None of the images are my own.]

need to do that west of Gledholt, in the former yard area.

Indeed, there's not enough space in the cutting for a 50mph turnout unfortunately.
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,109
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
Both. It's both shorter and narrower, but the ceiling is in the form of a circle, rather than a perfect semi-circle on top of vertical walls.

The circle form means you lose gauging at the 'shoulders' as it comes in, and means you couldn't really just dig out the bottom without hitting the bottom of the tunnel, which is structurally important.

I've attached a few photos which together show the difference in scales quite well, but you only really get the real picture of you're on the ground looking at them.

View attachment 212289View attachment 212290View attachment 212291

[Images show the view towards the southern portals of Huddersfield north bore, left, and Huddersfield south bore, right, and the visible size difference between the two. None of the images are my own.]



Indeed, there's not enough space in the cutting for a 50mph turnout unfortunately.
The contrast in the level of vegetation growth between those three photos is rather telling!
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,296
It seems that the north tunnels are being laid for single track again - and the track is in the centre of the bore. [The Huddersfield south tunnel contains two tracks: the self-contained Penistone line and the westbound Standedge]

Whilst I hadn't expected the north tunnels to be laid with two tracks (ie. early preparation for the next phase of works), I had thought the alignment would have been laid with room for another track to make three going west which is the grand plan up to Standedge. I started looking but couldn't find any useful plans on network rail or the TPU site about this.
There have been track plans seen in videos linked earlier in the thread, but they don’t show three main line tracks going through this specific area. I think the three track section is effectively a freight loop that starts further west.

I’ll try and find a link. Here you are, the post includes a fairly recent track layout:

 
Last edited:

WAO

Established Member
Joined
10 Mar 2019
Messages
1,230
The right hand arch would be called a stilted arch (i.e with straight, vertical sides). The left hand is probably also but with short stilts.

WAO
 

superkev

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2015
Messages
2,863
Location
west yorkshire
Huddersfield. Nice to see on the TPU fb site the new roof has been exposed now much of the scaffold is being removed.
Pity we have to wait 8 years for the electric trains so will soon be dirty with diesel soot as will the track with dripping oil.
K
 

buz33

Member
Joined
21 Nov 2009
Messages
36
That presentation is horribly wrong

It’s got the slows & fasts the wrong way around east of Hudds
The presentation showed the various track configurations that were considered before settling on the final version. The image posted above was one of the discarded options.

 

Dave S 56F

Member
Joined
23 Jun 2020
Messages
235
Location
Cleckheaton west yorkshire
I noticed yesterday 27/09/2026 while out cycling up to my relatives from dalton where I live to my dad's in scholes cycling over colne bridge Rd Bridge the 4 new track arrangement laying has reached beyond station road in bradley wood. Does anyone know how far the 4 track section Is been built as far as during this T.R.U. engineering block closure is it going as far as heaton lodge juction until 05/102025?
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,296
I noticed yesterday 27/09/2026 while out cycling up to my relatives from dalton where I live to my dad's in scholes cycling over colne bridge Rd Bridge the 4 new track arrangement laying has reached beyond station road in bradley wood. Does anyone know how far the 4 track section Is been built as far as during this T.R.U. engineering block closure is it going as far as heaton lodge juction until 05/102025?
I doubt they’ll go beyond Colne Bridge Road bridge in the near future because there’s a principal supply point building to remove. Although perhaps they could just leave a gap in the nearest track?
 

Grumpy

Established Member
Joined
8 Nov 2010
Messages
1,320
Huddersfield. Nice to see on the TPU fb site the new roof has been exposed now much of the scaffold is being removed.
Pity we have to wait 8 years for the electric trains so will soon be dirty with diesel soot
Indeed.
It currently looks white and bright. I enclose is a photo of the new underside of the Huddersfield roof taken a couple of months back.
The Scarborough roof was also upgraded a few months back and that that looked white and bright when finished. However evidence of a few months of DMU visiting can be seen in the second photo.
 

Attachments

  • Hudds roof.jpeg
    Hudds roof.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Scarb roof.jpeg
    Scarb roof.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 75

Top